The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Floor jack and jack stands... Suggestions? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23435)

deruvian 12-26-2004 11:00 PM

Floor jack and jack stands... Suggestions?

I know that it seems like a somewhat strange question to ask: "Do you have any suggestions for a floor jack with a pair of stands," but whenever I get underneath the car, my life is at stake.

My last set was a 2 ton (4000 lbs) jack, with a matching pair of stands. I had to give it up, as it was mostly my father's, when I moved away from home.

Now, before anyone says, "Get a lift!" Uhhhh, nope. Sorry. I wish I had the funds for that!

I was just wondering if there are any brands to stay away from, or if anyone knows of any kind of sales/specials on some quality equipment. I need some soon.

THAWA 12-26-2004 11:35 PM

craftsman, snap-on, or mac.

want-a-fast-svx 12-27-2004 02:06 AM

i bought a set of 3ton jack stands with a jack and it came with a stool on wheels, jumper cables, wheel chocks, a t-bar and i believe thats it. It was $10 more for the whole kit versus the jack by itself. It was a sale at sears. Everything mentioned is craftsman.

THAWA 12-27-2004 02:33 AM

those are a good deal.

Mr. Pockets 12-27-2004 08:21 AM

I will definitely second craftsman stuff. But I also bought my jack at Sam's. It's a 3.5 ton jack, and actually doesn't fit under the car real well. I solve that by parking the car on boards. It's a very, very heavy jack and has worked great. Possibly it wouldn't last long enough in a shop, but as often as I use it (once every couple of weeks) it's been great.

I have four 3-ton stands I bought in pairs at Wal-Mart. They're anlso very substantial, but they have a notched perch on them, and honestly I wish more often than not that they were flat. If I ever find any that big with a flat perch, I'm buying them.

Anyway, so I don't screw around. I get stuff that's 'rated' way higher than what I need. Those 3-ton stands have a much wider footprint than the 2-ton guys.

SVXer95 12-27-2004 10:20 AM

I just got a 2.5 ton aluminum jack from pep boys for xmas. Light, big, low, worked really well when I used it yesterday.

ensteele 12-27-2004 10:49 AM

I have looked at the aluminum ones and they look very good. The thing I want is for it to go under the car without me having to park on boards. Some of them will go up to full height with only a couple pumps on the handle. :)

RojoRocket 12-27-2004 11:43 AM

I just got a 2 ton Craftsman all aluminum jack from my wife and son for my B-day, and it is schweeet!! 42.5 pounds and slides under the SVX with no fuss ! :D

My personal feelings are that the best you can afford at the moment is the way to go. I plan to pass on my old Craftsman 2-ton to whichever of my sons has a garage of his own first, this after 20+ years of reliable service. Jack stands are so cheap, why scrimp over $5-10?

Glenn

LarryIII 12-27-2004 12:40 PM

Re: Floor jack and jack stands... Suggestions?

I have the following jack & jack stand set and like it very much. It is from Northern Tool & Equipment. It is 2 ton rated and chromed and comes in a flimsy plastic carrying case. It is not all that expensive.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ssearch=144888

Good Luck.

PS: The jack easily fits under the SVX.

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
I know that it seems like a somewhat strange question to ask: "Do you have any suggestions for a floor jack with a pair of stands," but whenever I get underneath the car, my life is at stake.

My last set was a 2 ton (4000 lbs) jack, with a matching pair of stands. I had to give it up, as it was mostly my father's, when I moved away from home.

Now, before anyone says, "Get a lift!" Uhhhh, nope. Sorry. I wish I had the funds for that!

I was just wondering if there are any brands to stay away from, or if anyone knows of any kind of sales/specials on some quality equipment. I need some soon.

deruvian 12-28-2004 12:34 AM

I just looked on sears.com, and found a 4500 lbs. floor jack w/ two 4500 lbs. jack stands for $55 total. Craftsman brand. Not bad at all! Thanks guys. :D

SilverSpear 12-28-2004 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
I just looked on sears.com, and found a 4500 lbs. floor jack w/ two 4500 lbs. jack stands for $55 total. Craftsman brand. Not bad at all! Thanks guys. :D
nice price, you can always go the other way around: make a hole in the garage's floor where you can work underneath the car very easily.... :D

wawazat?? 12-28-2004 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
But I also bought my jack at Sam's. It's a 3.5 ton jack, and actually doesn't fit under the car real well. I solve that by parking the car on boards. It's a very, very heavy jack and has worked great. Possibly it wouldn't last long enough in a shop, but as often as I use it (once every couple of weeks) it's been great.

I've got the same jack Nick and I second your recommendation. $59, 3.5 ton rating and very beefy (side rails, caster mounts, and lifting arm). I needed something to lift my full size truck, which weighs 3.5 tons, and this handles it nicely.

Todd

Earthworm 12-30-2004 04:47 PM

http://www.hyjacks.com/

http://www.hyjacks.com/n_71550z.jpg

floatingkiwi 01-22-2005 07:24 AM

People

Where exactly do you jack the car with a work-shop style jack? Like when you want to lift the front end off the ground to put the stands under?
(and the back for that matter)

alltrac 01-22-2005 12:39 PM

where to jack for stands

Quote:

Originally posted by floatingkiwi
People

Where exactly do you jack the car with a work-shop style jack? Like when you want to lift the front end off the ground to put the stands under?
(and the back for that matter)

I second that question