The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Windshield replace (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52077)

CapnAl92 10-23-2009 08:06 AM

Windshield replace

Silver 92, cracked windshield. Have a black 92 parts car available with good windshield. Are they the same tint? What is involved in changing them out and do I need any new parts (gasket?) and is anyone in the Pittsburgh area experienced in doing a windshield changeout? I have a black 92 parts car, no engine or ecu, bad transaxle, but lots of good stuff. would be willing to give some parts in exchange for help. Thanks

svxcess 10-23-2009 08:38 AM

Re: Windshield replace

All of the 1992 colors had the same blue-gray tint.

EXCEPT the Claret, which had the bronze tint.

The rubber moulding around the windshield is bonded to the window during manufacture and is not available separately. You may find the rubber to be brittle after 17 years and start to crumble when you try to take out the windshield.

Ckeck with Tom Krynock "svxfiles" to see what additional info he can give you. He's in Wiley Ford, WV, about 120 miles from you.

SVXalter 10-26-2009 11:03 PM

Really? all 92's were blue-gray? So would a black 92 have the same glass color as a Polo Green 96?

svxcess 10-26-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXalter (Post 623127)
Really? all 92's were blue-gray? So would a black 92 have the same glass color as a Polo Green 96?

Yes, IF the 96 Polo Green was an L model which had gray interior. If it was the LSi with beige leather, the windshield would be bronze.

In general, the cars with the beige interior (leather or velour) had the bronze glass. The cars with gray interior (leather or velour) had the blue gray glass.

The only exception was the 1992 claret (which had gray ecsaine or leather) and bronze glass.

For colors by year and interior colors, click HERE

SVXalter 10-27-2009 12:04 AM

Wow that is awesome information. I was under the assumption my parts car had different colored glass than my DD. The windows are tinted and I had heard from various people that it had the bronze glass tint. Guess I will have to take the tint off if I ever need any glass. Do you know anything about windshield repair for just a very small flaw/chip? I've hear of some places guaranteeing it and it might be worth it to preserve the windshield on my parts car.

Bailey 10-29-2009 05:40 AM

I would definitely have chip repair on your windshield of your parts car to preserve it, in case you need it. I have had several chip repairs and so far they have all worked, as long as the chips are not too large.

(I had a few chip repairs on my SVX windshield that were fine, then I got a HUGE hit that sounded like a gunshot last month and it immediately cracked my windshield, so now I am about to get new glass installed.) My Forester also has numberous chip repairs that so far have held up. I get rock chips on both my cars on the same stretch of interstate on my way to work. It is really p****** me off! Unfortunately it is the only fast way for me to get to work, so I have to drive it!

SVXalter 10-29-2009 11:10 AM

Thanks for the info! Would that change how easy/(difficult) it would be to remove the windshield from my parts car? Also how much has the chip repair cost you in the past?

svxistentialist 10-29-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 622589)
All of the 1992 colors had the same blue-gray tint.

EXCEPT the Claret, which had the bronze tint.

The rubber moulding around the windshield is bonded to the window during manufacture and is not available separately. You may find the rubber to be brittle after 17 years and start to crumble when you try to take out the windshield.

Ckeck with Tom Krynock "svxfiles" to see what additional info he can give you. He's in Wiley Ford, WV, about 120 miles from you.

Hey John, thanks, that's wonderful information.

It's different in England, and possibly different again on the Continent or in Australia, but in general I find you are right, the windows tint is dictated to a large extent by the colour of the interior, as much as matching the bodywork colour.

In the UK RHD market all Clarets have the extremely dark ["blacker than a black steer's tukas on a moonless night"] black leather interior, and they are all supplied with the bronze glass which is not my favourite. Silver 92 cars, again hyperblack interiors, have the blue tint glass, as do the silver JDM cars. Ebony black UK cars also come with bronze glass, which my '93 Black Betty has, and I don't really like it.

The '91 JDM Claret car I used to have, it had purple ecsaine and faux leather seats, and it came supplied with a deeper tint dark green glass that I found very attractive. I have not seen green glass supplied to any market other than Japan, for some reason.

SVXalter, do PM Tom SVXfiles and he will tell you the procedure for removing the screen. They are bonded in, so I expect they use piano wire to cut the screen away from the bond, and you'll probably have to buy new rubbers.

If your screen chip is not too bad, have the glass guys effect a repair on yours before you head for SEMA. The repair bonds it and should stop the crack from spreading should you put it under stress on your long journey.

;) Enjoy your trip!

Joe :)

gbianchi 10-29-2009 07:55 PM

Warning post hijack.......this is windshield related, my GPS's seem to have a terrible time keeping a sat lock anytime I stop moving in my SVX, they are also not very accurate while moving:mad: anyone else having a problem? if I hold it out the window its fine, no its not the GPS as it works just fine outside the car or in any other Subaru I drive:), just wondering.................G

1986nate 10-30-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbianchi (Post 623479)
Warning post hijack.......this is windshield related, my GPS's seem to have a terrible time keeping a sat lock anytime I stop moving in my SVX, they are also not very accurate while moving:mad: anyone else having a problem? if I hold it out the window its fine, no its not the GPS as it works just fine outside the car or in any other Subaru I drive:), just wondering.................G

Titanium Oxide coating on all OEM SVX windshields. Only a few GPS units will work without problems.

Bailey 10-30-2009 06:24 AM

All my chip repairs have been free- my insurance company will pay for all chip repairs. I just call them and the auto glass co comes out to where I work and does it in the parking lot.
Ins company figures it is cheaper to do this than replace whole windshield. If any of the chip repairs dont work and I need a new windshield, then my insurance deductible kicks in .

If you don't carry comprehensive insurance on your car, I am not sure how much the chip repairs are. (You might be able to negotiate that a bit if you have multiple chips)

gbianchi 10-31-2009 06:07 PM

I paid Torgy's winsheild repair 59.00 (no comprehensive) to fix three spots on my windsheid in my driveway, very reasonable after finding out how much the windsheild cost to replace......G

simboglide 11-01-2009 01:05 PM

I believe i have found a source for aftermarket windshields at $400 a piece. Thoughts??

CorSVXette 11-02-2009 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbianchi (Post 623479)

I had the same problem. I now have 2 units that work. Tom Tom and Garmin Nuvi

svxcess 11-02-2009 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 623731)
I believe i have found a source for aftermarket windshields at $400 a piece. Thoughts??

There are sources out there for aftermarket windshields, but the problem is that they are for the glass only.

The OEM windshields have the rubber molding bonded to them and the moldings are not available separately. This leaves you with the difficult of trying to separate the molding from the damaged windshield. Not a very easy task as they become brittle and deteriorate with age,

Read more HERE, starting at post #7.