The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Automatic/manuel (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6687)

RearView 10-29-2002 06:59 AM

Automatic/manuel

does every Svx come with this semi-automatic transmission and is the manuel option really good. Thanx

Aredubjay 10-29-2002 08:17 AM

Re: Automatic/manuel

Quote:

Originally posted by RearView
does every Svx come with this semi-automatic transmission and is the manuel option really good. Thanx
The SVX did not come with a manual. A manual is strictly a custom job.

sfsvx 10-29-2002 11:44 AM

Re: Automatic/manuel

Quote:

Originally posted by RearView
I assume by "manuel option" you mean hiring an Hispanic guy to do the shifting for you.

IMHO, it doesn't help. :D

oab_au 10-29-2002 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Automatic/manuel

Quote:

Originally posted by Dick Young

I assume by "manuel option" you mean hiring an Hispanic guy to do the shifting for you.

IMHO, it doesn't help. :D

I think he means the manual button .on the shift lever.

Harvey.;)

RearView 10-29-2002 03:27 PM

yes i do mean the manuel button on the lever, does it make the car really "manuel" or is it a pathetic atempt to make the SVX a hybrid. I should get better accel. while using this manuel option right??

Porter 10-29-2002 04:06 PM

Your acceleration is exactly the same.... the manual button simply locks the TCU into whatever gear you're currently in, assuming that things like the rev limiter don't come into play.

The manual button and manually shifting is the only way to really get control of the SVX in the twisties... the car behaves beautifully when hanging out in the upper right area of the tach in 2nd gear and sliding through corners.

Cheers.

Aredubjay 10-29-2002 04:10 PM

Actually, engaging the manual button forces the car to take off in 2nd gear to avoid slippage on icy or other slippery surfaces.

Earthworm 10-29-2002 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Actually, engaging the manual button forces the car to take off in 2nd gear to avoid slippage on icy or other slippery surfaces.
To add to that - it only has any effect while the shifter is in 2nd or 3rd. If you're in 4th with the manual button in it will still start in 1st gear.

sfsvx 10-29-2002 06:04 PM

From the 1992 owners' manual:

"When the MANUAL switch is pressed while the gearshift selector lever is in position "2" or "3", the transmission switches to MANUAL mode and the indicator light illuminates. The MANUAL mode is used for driving on slippery surfaces such as snowy roads or mud, or for smooth driving at a constant speed when going up slopes. In position "3", the transmission holds in 3rd gear (but shifts automatically beween 2nd gear and 3rd gear during starting or low speed driving). In position "2", the transmission holds in 2nd gear."

I assume from this that the MANUAL switch won't engage when you're in "D" or "1", and will disengage if you're in "2" or "3" and shift to "D" or "1", but I don't know this from personal experience. Something for me to try tomorrow on my way to work. :)

Earthworm 10-29-2002 07:10 PM

The "MANU" light will illuminate no matter which gear you're in. It won't have any effect though if the shifter is in 1st or 4th.

Aredubjay 10-29-2002 09:11 PM

From personal experience. If the manual button is depressed while in drive, the car will start out in 2nd gear.

Earthworm 10-29-2002 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
From personal experience. If the manual button is depressed while in drive, the car will start out in 2nd gear.
Hmmm...maybe there's a difference in TCU's??

My personal experience went the other way. (how can I accurately tell what year SVX my tranny came from?)

Trevor 10-30-2002 12:30 AM

Manual Switch

I am aware of the result of this option being engaged and the manufacturers instructions in this respect. However has anyone found a practical use for this feature ?

Why is the button labelled " Manual " ? This thread was no doubt originated as a result of confusion in this respect as I was when I purchased my car. After all the car was in production for time enough to allow a difficulty in language translation to be sorted.

svx_commuter 10-30-2002 08:14 AM

I keep my "Manual" ON on the book shelf.:D

With the manual button on you get:
1st when in 1st
2nd when in 2nd. No down shift to 1st
3rd and down shifting to 2nd when in 3rd. No down shift to 1st.
4th and down shifting to 3rd, 2nd, and 1st when in 4th.

I like the manual mode when in stop and go traffic. I leave it in 2nd.:)

solarsvx 10-30-2002 08:54 AM

randy is corect .. it wil only put the car in 2nd gear from a start its for low speeds going through the snow .

try it some time, from a redlight hti the manual button and the car takes off really really slowly in 2nd gear..

my opnion the manual butons suite no purpose what so ever,, i do not plan on taking the svx in snow, there is none in florida or mud..so no need for it,,

hell i cry if i have drive it on a dirt road LOL