The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dash VIN plate (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57097)

SVX92-97 04-21-2011 06:14 PM

Dash VIN plate

My recently purchase 97 Ebony does not have a dash VIN plate at the bottom of the left windshield on the dash. It appears it never came with one, as there are no holes where it would be mounted with the two rivets. Svxcess called Subaru of America and they called me back and said they could not get me a replacement dash vin plate. Anyone know how or if I can get one made and just stick it to the dash with double stick tape. This is really odd, and Subaru has no answer for me.:confused:

Blacky 04-21-2011 06:47 PM

Re: Dash VIN plate

Sounds suspicious. Probably switched VINs. I know a shady mechanic that does it all the time. Possibly a rebuilt wreck or stolen. Check the VINs in other places on the car and see if they match up.
My '97 has one as do both of my '92s.

svxcess 04-21-2011 07:16 PM

No. I have seen the closeup photos.

There never was a plate installed. No marks or hints of holes where a plate would have been attached.The dash has faded uniformly and there is no hint of discoloration.

The VIN on both the firewall and on the build plate are the same and correct. The carfax is clean and has no issues.

See the Carfax HERE

When I bought my 1975 Datsun 280Z, I was at the dealership when the transport unloaded my car. There was another Z that was unloaded at the same time and came through from the factory without a radiator installed! Engine bay was painted and finished, just a big gaping empty space. Don't know how it ever made it through QC. :eek:

Sometimes things have a way of getting overlooked...

Ron Mummert 04-21-2011 07:58 PM

My first "me-owned" car, a '53 Olds, had the Olds chrome logo on the grill bar spelled OLDSMOBLIE. Obviously portended the product's demise.

Rno.

Blacky 04-21-2011 08:15 PM

Maybe it will be a collectors item like a misprinted stamp.

LetItSnow 04-21-2011 09:51 PM

Whoa, hold everything.

Pics or it didn't happen. You know the rules.

svxcess 04-21-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 674576)
Whoa, hold everything.

Pics or it didn't happen. You know the rules.

Post 'em, Danno!

Green1995SVX 04-21-2011 10:16 PM

I bet the dash was replaced at some point and the vin plate was not transferred from the previous dash. It could have been from an accident where the passenger airbag deployed and distorted the dash.

SSSVX 04-22-2011 04:21 AM

Hard to say. Maybe after you own the car for a while, you'll find out more.

It's hard to tell buying a used car. Carfax really doesn't tell everything.

Everytime when I get acquainted with the cars I bought, after I own them for a while, wash and wax, service and drive for a while, I seem to be able to pull back some histories from my imaginations that what could happen to here and there.

PS: how about Mike's 92 Claret? When he swapped in the entire 96 dash, did he move the dash VIN plate as well?? Now it get me thinking of that.

dcarrb 04-22-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 674565)
My first "me-owned" car, a '53 Olds, had the Olds chrome logo on the grill bar spelled OLDSMOBLIE. Obviously portended the product's demise.

Rno.

In the late 80s my ex and I rented a "Cougarbird" in Denver, with Mercury Cougar sheetmetal and badging on the outside and Ford Thunderbird ID inside (or vice-versa). It had like 2 miles on the odometer.

(We hit snow and fishtailed back to Denver from Breckinridge, and I remember wishing we'd rented a Suby.)

The notion that the dash was replaced seems plausible to me. I'd definitely feel better about it if all the "tamper-evident" VIN stickers matched the firewall and data plates.

dcb

SVX92-97 04-22-2011 07:23 AM

Windshield and passenger airbag where replaced by seller. He hit a curb hard and dented the fender which deployed the airbag and cracked the windshield. He mentioned nothing about the dash being replaced. This was two owner vehicle, with the current seller owning it since 2001, so if dash was replaced, it would have had to have been by original owner between 1997-2000. :confused:

Hocrest 04-22-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 674561)
The carfax is clean and has no issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 674596)
Windshield and passenger airbag where replaced by seller. He hit a curb hard and dented the fender which deployed the airbag and cracked the windshield. He mentioned nothing about the dash being replaced. This was two owner vehicle, with the current seller owning it since 2001, so if dash was replaced, it would have had to have been by original owner between 1997-2000. :confused:

Again we see not to put much faith in a clean Carfax. My guess is there was more damage than he informed you of.

I'm trying to remember the build of dash's with the passenger airbag?? Wouldn't the entire dash need to be replaced if the passenger bag blows? (Well not the entire dash, but the piece that goes across to where the VIN tag is.)

Lookin4SVX 04-22-2011 10:22 AM

He hit a curb, that dented the fender, and deployed the airbag?
How to you dent a fender, or deploy an air bag, by hitting a curb?
Maybe it was a jersey barrier shaped "curb"?

I would suspect its a replacement dash.
The important number is the one on the firewall.

And yes the entire dash is one big piece, at least the one on the 92 that I just ripped out like 2 weeks ago was.

Freeman 04-22-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX (Post 674611)
He hit a curb, that dented the fender, and deployed the airbag?
How to you dent a fender, or deploy an air bag, by hitting a curb?
Maybe it was a jersey barrier shaped "curb"?

I would suspect its a replacement dash.
The important number is the one on the firewall.

And yes the entire dash is one big piece, at least the one on the 92 that I just ripped out like 2 weeks ago was.

:lol::lol: Jersey barrier made me laugh hard.

I need to quit reading this stuff at work.

Green1995SVX 04-22-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 674597)
Again we see not to put much faith in a clean Carfax. My guess is there was more damage than he informed you of.

I'm trying to remember the build of dash's with the passenger airbag?? Wouldn't the entire dash need to be replaced if the passenger bag blows? (Well not the entire dash, but the piece that goes across to where the VIN tag is.)

Yes, that part would need to be replaced. The passenger airbag almost always deforms the dash when it deploys.