The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brakes & lines (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31418)

SubyLuver 02-08-2006 01:33 PM

Brakes & lines

I noticed through searching that this topic has been covered, but i couldnt find a how to on the brake lines. I need some help with my new SS brake lines... I am sure I can figure out how to take them off and put new ones on, but I am sure that introduces alot of air into the system(which is a no-no)... How do I do this effectively? I have 2 cans of ATE Super Blue so I am not worried about losing all my fluid in my lines since the old $hi! is going to be gone anyways...

Thanks guys

Earthworm 02-08-2006 01:45 PM

I have a set of SS lines but haven't installed them yet. I'm waiting for it to warm up. If no one has one by then I'll writeup a how-to.

svxfiles 02-08-2006 02:32 PM

If you are not sure how to bleed the brakes, you should have a mechanic install them for you.
It will only take him about an hour of shop time, and he has probably done it hundreds of times.;)

WOO HOO 2000 posts!:D

SubyLuver 02-08-2006 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
If you are not sure how to bleed the brakes, you should have a mechanic install them for you.
It will only take him about an hour of shop time, and he has probably done it hundreds of times.;)

WOO HOO 2000 posts!:D

I am pretty sure that all you do to bleed the brakes is open up the bleeders and step on the brakes until you see your new fluid running through, blue in my case. I know you have to maintain fluid in the resevoir so no air gets in... That was not reallly the question. I was asking if there was any way I am supposed to do my brake lines besides basically flushing all the fluid out of the system? (cork the holes or something?) And I was also asking if there was a howto on it someplace...

Thanks

Earthworm 02-08-2006 03:46 PM

There's more to it than that.

ensteele 02-08-2006 03:59 PM

There is also a sequence that you need do to bleed the brakes. I will try to find a How-To. :)

immortal_suby 02-08-2006 04:00 PM

Well, not much more.
You either need a speedbleeder or 2 people.

The 2 people method is this
1st guy has a wrench in hand on the bleeder with bleeder closed
2nd guy pumps brakes until hard then keeps foot on pedal
1st guy open bleeder and brake fluid sprays out (good idea to have a 1/8 inch clear tube over bleeder leading to a clear container)
2nd guy hollers when brake pedal gets close to floor
1st guy closes bleeder when hears hollering
1st guy hollers ready when bleeder is closed
2nd guy pumps brakes again until hard then keeps foot on pedal

and - repeat until clear brake fluid comes out on all corners. Make sure to keep fluid in reservior - if you drain it you introduce even more air into the system.
Also - always start with the brake that is furthest away from the reservoir and move in.

Never done the speedbleeder method maybe someone else will chime in on that.

ensteele 02-08-2006 04:01 PM

Check here for brakes. This may help, but is not a total how to on it. :)

sicksubie 02-08-2006 04:26 PM

Me and a buddy did it via the two person method and it worked great. We only did the front ones the back ones are coming up soon.

SubyLuver 02-08-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie
Me and a buddy did it via the two person method and it worked great. We only did the front ones the back ones are coming up soon.

Me and a buddy are doing it right now, just taking a warm up brake...:) Back rotors/pads/lines are done just have to bleed the ABS then the rear brakes and then we are going to do the front... Thanks for all the help guys.

ensteele 02-08-2006 10:05 PM

There is a product that is called Speed Bleeders that work great. They have a spring and ball bearing that allow you to do it by yourself and not get air into the system. They are around $35. for 4 of them. :)

SubyLuver 02-08-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
There is a product that is called Speed Bleeders that work great. They have a spring and ball bearing that allow you to do it by yourself and not get air into the system. They are around $35. for 4 of them. :)

I was doing a search on brakes earlier today and noticed someone had mentioned they still get some air in the lines. True or not? I have heard of them before but just want to get my brakes done now and not wait for another part. Got all the lines on, Rear brakes done, sheared off a bolt holding the caliper to the spindle :eek: :eek: :eek: So tomorrow it is going to my mechanic to get finished... The PB Blaster just wasnt strong enough..

immortal_suby 02-09-2006 07:14 PM

Butchers. Why can't people use never-seize :mad: Especially on brake parts.