The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Carbon Intake Manifold...mmm (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14387)

Breck SVX 11-12-2003 10:58 PM

Carbon Intake Manifold...mmm

...all yours plus an engine for only $8,500
(though that was 3 years ago)
http://www.sdsefi.com/air34.htm
Out of curiosity, how much do you think it would cost to fabricate something like that?

I was trying to find that web page that has a pretty nice detailed section on svx engines for aircraft use but couldn't find it, does anyone know the link?

-Alex

Chicane 11-13-2003 12:04 AM

Man, those headers look so shibby.

- Rob

svxsubaru1 11-13-2003 07:52 PM

to bad he dident use the eg33 after the crash.

CigarJohnny 11-14-2003 09:05 AM

Interesting. It seems there is, after all, a solution to the fuel management issues that have many saying that you will never be able to due too serious of a turbo mod to the EG33. Looks like the airplane folks have always known that which eludes many who want to turbo charge the SVX. Thing to find out is whether or not there is any reason it would not be adaptable to the SVX.

Quote:

Another major change was to discard the stock EFI controller and replace it with a simpler and more suitable dual redundant, fully programmable EFI which had been specifically designed for aircraft use. I chose the FuelnFire - manufactured by Compass Avionics as I felt that it would give the flexibility, redundancy and the simplicity I was looking for. The only difficult part to this installation was the design and manufacture of a mounting arrangement for the dual cam position sensor PC board as well as a mounting plate for the trigger magnets.
Food for thought :cool:

Mr. Pockets 11-14-2003 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Interesting. It seems there is, after all, a solution to the fuel management issues that have many saying that you will never be able to due too serious of a turbo mod to the EG33. Looks like the airplane folks have always known that which eludes many who want to turbo charge the SVX. Thing to find out is whether or not there is any reason it would not be adaptable to the SVX.

Food for thought :cool:

The author does very specifically say that the EFI controller he used was designed for aircraft use. That's not to say that it couldn't be adapted to street use, but I wouldn't bet on it being very easy.

Chicane 11-14-2003 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
.... was designed for aircraft use.
I'm not sure if you guys know this, but anything aircraft related = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

- Rob

drivemusicnow 11-16-2003 10:19 PM

the only reason the cost of airplane engine internals is so high is because the difference between your fuel management when you're driving down the highway and your fuel management when you're flying 5000ft in the air is rather large, one, your engine shuts off and you start coasting... the other, you engine shuts off, and you die. (notice how he stated redundancy) basically though, it still means it can be done, and it can be done right... we just haven't found the right thing to do it with

Chicane 11-16-2003 11:23 PM

Uh, I wasn't referring to engine internals, nor was anyone else. It was about engine management electronics, and anything aviation related is EXTREMELY expensive, for the reasons you just mentioned. :)

- Rob

Porter 11-17-2003 10:03 AM

There are a whole host of engine management systems that will work on the SVX.

They include:

Electromotive TEC-II and TEC-III
Haltec
Motec
Microtec
Greddy E-manage
Dastek Unichip

Plus a great many more that are less well-known, like the
SDS shown in the link. Too bad it's quite slow compared to the more modern setups like the TEC.

My personal favorite for simple bolt-on tunability is the Unichip, though it's nowhere near as powerful as something like a TEC-III... you don't have to tune from scratch as with the standalone systems.

mbtoloczko 11-17-2003 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Porter
There are a whole host of engine management systems that will work on the SVX.

They include:

Electromotive TEC-II and TEC-III
Haltec
Motec
Microtec
Greddy E-manage
Dastek Unichip

Porter, in my research into stand-alone ecu's, I've noticed that several do not have the capability to fire 6 coils. I haven't researched the ones you mentioned yet. Do they all have the capability to fire 6 coils?

Porter 11-17-2003 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Porter, in my research into stand-alone ecu's, I've noticed that several do not have the capability to fire 6 coils. I haven't researched the ones you mentioned yet. Do they all have the capability to fire 6 coils?

The Unichip and E-Manage are actually piggybacks, but yes all of the above are 6-coil compatible in some fashion. There are several models of each available. Most of the above also support forced induction, anti-lag, launch control, and all kinds of other trickery like ECU controlled nitrous maps.

:D