The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My possessed car - video (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48563)

Ricochet 01-09-2009 02:24 PM

My possessed car - video

srsly, wtf. I just replaced the alternator and battery, dremeled the ground points, continuity is good between battery and chassis, and it's still doing this ****. After it warms up and the rpm's drop it will slowly bog down and die at idle.

No smoke, fluids, or funny noises coming from the engine. I'm selling it tonight to a buddy driving down from Massachusetts and need to know if this could possibly be a quick fix, or something worse. I want to sell it for an honest price so if it's an exploded engine, fine he can take it cheap. Just want to find out what's wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0109091613.jpg

SoCal LS-L 01-09-2009 02:35 PM

Re: My possessed car - video

Oops ok the vid just loaded..... I rescind my last post lol. Given that it seems random enough and it does it more while the car is vibrating/revving, could be a loose harness or wire? Electrical issues are such a pain in the a$$!!

Wikedjuggalo 01-09-2009 02:39 PM

Its gotta some related to battery/alternator. How are the connections going to the alternator?

Ricochet 01-09-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 581411)
Its gotta some related to battery/alternator. How are the connections going to the alternator?

I checked everything with an ohm meter, all wires are connected fine. This new alternator came out of a perfectly-running svx.

LetItSnow 01-09-2009 02:59 PM

What happens if you measure the volts across the battery when you rev like that? If that's not a charging system or ground problem, I'll be surprised.

Manarius 01-09-2009 03:18 PM

With that kind of lighting, I'd almost be inclined to think it had to do with the regulator in the alternator - wavering output with engine speed, regulator could be broken.

bheinen74 01-09-2009 03:38 PM

get a mm tester and check the battery voltage. maybe the battery is no good, maybe the alternator is not producing 13.8 volts or higher.

its one or the other, or a bad battery connection.

dennyo 01-09-2009 07:02 PM

please post when you find the source and the solution.

sicksubie 01-09-2009 07:23 PM

What is the alternator putting out???

kwren 01-09-2009 08:21 PM

if the battery is charged up and functioning properly it will run for 30 miles without an alternator.
No lights or accessory on of course.

sicksubie 01-09-2009 09:16 PM

my friend and I need to go slightly more than 30 miles to get this car though...:rolleyes:

TomsSVX 01-09-2009 10:37 PM

Check the ground on the backside of the manidol passenger side. There should be a 12mm hex head holding it on. Make sure it is a good connection and that it is tight

Tom

kwren 01-09-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 581441)
my friend and I need to go slightly more than 30 miles to get this car though...:rolleyes:

The point actually was that the problem could not be a natural battery or alternator problem. I was suggesting to look elsewhere for the problem. Everyone was dwelling on the alternator and battery, and if a car can run 30 miles without an alternator, it wouldn't just drop down to nothing because the rpm is brought down to a normal idle.

Quote from Ricochet:
I just replaced the alternator and battery, dremeled the ground points, continuity is good between battery and chassis, and it's still doing this ****.

Sense that doesn't even happen when the battery or alternator is bad, I would suggest maybe looking for a problem other than the alternator and the battery if you have tested them already.:rolleyes:

Keith:)

redlightningsvx 01-09-2009 10:46 PM

Took a glance at the fsm and it says to check or replace fan belt, check alternator, check terminals for improper contact if the charge light is on at idle which his is slightly.

Ricochet 01-09-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 581455)
Took a glance at the fsm and it says to check or replace fan belt, check alternator, check terminals for improper contact if the charge light is on at idle which his is slightly.

Pardon my ignorance, where is the fan belt?