The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power Seat not working??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52220)

pearlm30 11-05-2009 07:42 PM

Power Seat not working???

Power seat on the driver side is not working(it wont slide forward and backward, but it will go up and down and recli)
1)Does the motor usually goes bad?
2)Could it be the switch?
3)Does it have some sort of manual override like the sunroof? So I can get all the 5 bolts out?
4)Can the seat cusion part be swaped? I have a driver seat from parts car, but its a different color?
Thank you very much!!!

svxcess 11-05-2009 08:46 PM

Re: Power Seat not working???

1 Attachment(s)
Power seat on the driver side is not working (it wont slide forward and backward, but it will go up and down and recline)

1) Does the motor usually goes bad? not as likely

2) Could it be the switch? More likely that is the problem. Have you checked both seat tracks to see if there is something stuck in there
(like loose change) This has happened quite often

3) Does it have some sort of manual override like the sunroof? So I can get all the 5 bolts out?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1257479043

4) Can the seat cushion part be swapped? I have a driver seat from parts car, but its a different color?

Thank you very much!!!

AUSVX 11-05-2009 09:08 PM

Is your seat locked in the full slide forward or rearward position?

If so, the pink plastic washers at either end of the worm gears movement have broken due to wear over time. The pink washers stop the seat from overtravelling and going off the worm gear, once the washer breaks off and fall on the carpet, the next time you use your electric chair, the mechanism will over travel and get lodged at the end of the worm gear thread tightening it like you would a cap to a coke bottle.

Once you flick the switch to move the chair direction no movement = short = fried wires may kill the motor.

I rebuilt my drivers chair and have yet to find how to source these pink washers. My lodged worm gear is the one for knee height so I don't care too much.

Jordan.

pearlm30 11-05-2009 09:15 PM

Thanks a lot for the picture SVXcess!!!
I did check the seat track for loose change and coins but didnt see any, I will unbolt the 14mm and get the seat out and swap the switch with the parts car to see if its bad.
Thanks again!!!

pearlm30 11-05-2009 09:20 PM

Hi Jordan
I am not sure if its full rearward position, if not, its pretty close. I will check the pink washer as you suggested once I get the seat out tomorrow.
Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUSVX (Post 624318)
Is your seat locked in the full slide forward or rearward position?

If so, the pink plastic washers at either end of the worm gears movement have broken due to wear over time. The pink washers stop the seat from overtravelling and going off the worm gear, once the washer breaks off and fall on the carpet, the next time you use your electric chair, the mechanism will over travel and get lodged at the end of the worm gear thread tightening it like you would a cap to a coke bottle.

Once you flick the switch to move the chair direction no movement = short = fried wires may kill the motor.

I rebuilt my drivers chair and have yet to find how to source these pink washers. My lodged worm gear is the one for knee height so I don't care too much.

Jordan.

kwren 11-06-2009 02:15 AM

Count your spare change. If you are missing some, unbolt the seat, turn it on the side and shake it a bit.

Keith:cool:

pearlm30 11-11-2009 04:06 AM

I finally got the drive seat out!!! I unbolted the 2 14mm and 1 13mm under the seat track and pushed the seat all the way forward, need some force to move it but feasible.
Thanks for all the advice:)

SVXx2 11-20-2009 03:09 PM

I have a power seat that stopped working right after I was cleaning the interior. It's close to where I like it, but needs to move back a few inches. If I remove the 14mm bolts that holds the motor assembly to the seat rails, will I be able to slide the seat to my desired position and then reattach everything? Will it be secure?

svxistentialist 11-21-2009 03:23 AM

Stopped working after cleaning sounds like maybe electrical.

Slide it to a new position? In a word, No. The seat is pushed or dragged up and down the runners by a worm drive. If you can't get the motor to turn the worm you will not be able to adjust position in the runners.

You should check if you can remove the seat and see what is wrong. In fact before you do anything check if you have blown a fuse. If the fuses are OK then it's probable you will need to disconnect and remove the seat to see what's wrong. It could be as simple as corrosion or a bad earth somewhere.

Joe