The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   idenitfing folding mirror (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42769)

alxforyou 01-13-2008 03:15 PM

idenitfing folding mirror

i was at the junkyard today and walked by a svx i've parted to death and i bumped into the side mirror and it folded.my 92' lsl doesn't fold and my curiousity got the best of me and i bought the mirror with a broken glass to see what makes it folds.my ? is is it possibale that i have bought a jdm mirror? as the drivers side and switch have been removed already.or is there a US folding mirror that my car doesn't seem to have.
thanks for any info
alxforyou

94SubieSVX 01-13-2008 03:24 PM

As far as I know all SVXs came with folding mirrors. And the odds of you finding JDM power folding mirrors are slim to none.

BTW- Where in Trenton are you? Are you the guy with the '94 Bordeaux?

YourConfused 01-13-2008 03:30 PM

My 92 mirrors don't fold but I wished they did.

94SubieSVX 01-13-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 520978)
My 92 mirrors don't fold but I wished they did.

I stand corrected. Another thing I learned about SVXs:)

kwren 01-13-2008 03:36 PM

2 92 svx's....

4 folding mirrors.
My 90 legacy also had folding mirrors.

94SubieSVX 01-13-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 520981)
4 folding mirrors.
My 90 legacy also had folding mirrors.

Folding mirrors must have been optional then I'm guessing.

svxistentialist 01-13-2008 03:48 PM

Guys, your US mirrors are different [very light, not much functionality, etc], however I honestly think that all SVX mirrors will fold in if pushed, or they should.

What happens I think is that during the life of the car, the owners never have an occasion where the mirrors need to be pushed in to closed position. This causes the swivel joint to seize up through lack of use, and the mirror feels like it is solid.

I suggest you try misting in some release spray into the back of the mirror to free up the joint.

Then, wiggle the mirror till you get movement. Don't obviously apply enough pressure to break it. If the joint frees up, it should close for a push.

I have Japanese motor closing mirrors, and I can tell you they weigh a ton. But closing them in traffic in a tight spot is cool.

Joe:)

94SubieSVX 01-13-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 520985)
Guys, your US mirrors are different [very light, not much functionality, etc], however I honestly think that all SVX mirrors will fold in if pushed, or they should.

I have Japanese motor closing mirrors, and I can tell you they weigh a ton. But closing them in traffic in a tight spot is cool.

Wanna trade me your "WEIGH A TON" Power folding mirrors for my "SUPER-ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT" Manual mirrors???:D:lol::p

SURTEESS 01-13-2008 04:52 PM

folding mirrors

The mirrors on my Dec 95 are non-motorised, but they do fold - both forwards & backwards.......(one of them has loose mirror glass, is there anyway of tightening this up?)

thanks

Steve
Auckland, New Zealand

SVXRide 01-13-2008 05:34 PM

count me in with the "they all fold" group;)
pretty much all power mirrors will fold in, as it's protection against snapping off on impact. The JDM mirrors are actually motorized in this respect because of the narrow streets in Japan and the need to fold them in whenever you part the car (at least that's the story I've been told:rolleyes:).
-Bill

crazyhorse 01-13-2008 05:54 PM

I'd say folding in your mirrors in Tokyo is for self preservation. As small as most cars are, the SVX is absolutely huge. I'd say they fill a parking spot from line to line.

alxforyou 01-13-2008 07:33 PM

thanks i never though they could have been seized.i've tried to push them very hard i mean i was converned of braking my window,i brake s--t all the time,so i'm not usually afraid to give things excessive force to get the job done.
and folding my mirrors comes in handy when i drive down narrow country roads were there are rocks or trees growing into the lane and a RV in on coming traffick things get tight or a bridge like the calhoun st bride some people are familiar,or when your in a parking garage and a truck takes out your mirror,or just when you are tired of seeing that guy in your mirror high-beaming you because he was sitting at a light and you decide to drive around him because he isn''t gonna turn on "red light/car coming 2 miles away" and then he gets pissed off and fallows you home high-beaming you and you make shadow puppets but that just gets him even mader
you can understand right
thanks again for the help

svxistentialist 01-14-2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX (Post 520986)
Wanna trade me your "WEIGH A TON" Power folding mirrors for my "SUPER-ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT" Manual mirrors???:D:lol::p

:D

Nice try, 94.;) No, not really thanks. I looked for them a long time, it is practically the only feature other than motorised 4WS that the UK car does not have, so I went to a little trouble.

However, If I was going to race the SVX, your non-heated non motorised mirrors would be the way to go.

alxforyou 01-14-2008 02:43 AM

they are heated power mirrors and my car is a late 91'' lsl model seem to have everything,my car doesn't have a speed govener etheir as i've seen 150mph on the PA turnpike.i'll have to take them apart and white lithium them up.it all seem to make sense now that i think about it the last owner live in south jersey which has as much sand as a desert,i've owned it for 4years never thought of lubing it and i lube everthing
thanks all for the help

svxistentialist 01-14-2008 02:48 AM

Yes, that will work very well. Once greased they will stay lubed and you can fold them anytime.

[There is no speed governor on the cars. We are coming round to the conclusion that the high US gearing prevents the cars from pulling high speeds.]