The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Internal tranny filter changed, now problem? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35027)

Tiamat-red 09-05-2006 04:55 AM

Internal tranny filter changed, now problem?

I changed the internal tranny filter yesterday. After starting it back up to check the fluid level I got a code 12. Solenoid B.
And sure enough It doesn't seem to be going into lockup.
What could I have done?
I did clean all of the exposed parts off inside with a clean rag.
Could I have unplugged or moved something?
What if I didn't get that metal tube back in all the way?

I would prefer not to have to drain the fluid to take the pan back off since I used Mobil 1 at $6.50 a quart.

And if it is the solenoid would there be any reason not to keep driving it without overdrive?
It would hurt the gas mileage, but it always seems to go into lockup just as I'm about to go up a hill...

Marcus 09-05-2006 08:25 AM

ground wire disconnected?

Hi,

it's a while ago that I changed the filter so I might not remember correctly but I think there was a ground wire for the solenoid sitting on top of one clamp of the pipe which needs to be removed in order to get the filter out. Maybe you did not reinstall this wire. If I were you I would go thru the pain of draining the AT again and have a look (Even if it would not harm the tranny to drive without solenoid B, wouldn't it be more expensive to reduce gas milage than wasting the AT Oil?)

Good luck!

Marcus

Tiamat-red 09-05-2006 03:35 PM

Yes, that's a good point.
I should have thought about that.
I guess that's what happens when you work 3rd shift, and you stay awake all day to work on the car.

I do have an extra transmission. I have no idea if it, or the solenoid in it, is in working order but I can take THAT pan off for free and have a look at what I might have done.

I guess I was just hoping someone would say "Don't worry, it's just a TCU thing, and it will fix itself within 50 miles"...

subru92svx 09-05-2006 04:07 PM

On Alldata it said that just doing a drain and fill from the pan you only lose 2.7-3 quarts. It seemed like a little more when I took my pan off to do my internal filter though. Anyways at least 3-4 more quarts and a new gasket won't be that bad to buy. You could always catch the new fluid in tranny with a very clean drain pan and reuse it because it is still pretty new.

Earthworm 09-05-2006 04:17 PM

If you let it sit you will eventually drain over 6 of the 10 litres of fluid.

ensteele 09-05-2006 11:43 PM

By pulling out the internal filter out, you will drain more than if you just drian the pan. :)

Tiamat-red 09-06-2006 03:47 AM

Actually it took more like 7.5 quarts. And at $6.53 a quart that's about $50.

Yes the manual says "refill with 2 quarts and check...".
I have no idea why... It didn't show up on the stick untill 6 quarts or so...
Makes me wonder if I did any damage by starting it up "empty".

My Jeep Grand Cherokee manual says the same thing.
"2 quarts and check"...yada, yada, yada,...
That tranny took 6 full quarts. Of course I didn't put Mobil 1 into that...

I don't plan on getting a new gasket, as the "old" one has only been in place for 3 days now.
But $50 is still more than I will be wasting in gas mileage this winter.
Especially since I have a tranny cooler. And once it gets cold(anywhere below 40f) it almost never gets "hot" enough to go into lockup anyway...

I hate inefficency though. And since I have another tranny, with another solenoid(if needed) I will drain, and crack it open again next week.
Like I said...I was just hoping for an easier answer...:cool:

Tiamat-red 09-06-2006 03:55 AM

Oh, by the way, I did open my extra tranny to look at it.
It looked different than the one in the car.
I have no idea as to the history of either(rebuilds, etc...), but there were several differences. Hardware, AND wiring...
All of the same components were there. But there were several different brackets, and several different wire holding brackets...
And it wasn't just a "lack" of either... They were just different...

I guess I should just take pictures when I open the one on the car...

Hmmmmmm.

ShiuludeSVX 09-06-2006 07:06 AM

Looks Different

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiamat-red
Oh, by the way, I did open my extra tranny to look at it.
It looked different than the one in the car.
I have no idea as to the history of either(rebuilds, etc...), but there were several differences. Hardware, AND wiring...
All of the same components were there. But there were several different brackets, and several different wire holding brackets...
And it wasn't just a "lack" of either... They were just different...

I guess I should just take pictures when I open the one on the car...

Hmmmmmm.

The Trannies did get re-plumbed in '96 and '97.
I talked with a tech yesterday, and his manuals have a different section for capacities on the last two years.
Look up the Tranny serial numbers, and prob. find it to be one of those.

Tiamat-red 09-07-2006 06:14 AM

Is there any way to check the solenoid once I do take the pan back off to see it it's working? Or to see if my spare is also working?
Like checking the resistance, or running voltage to it or something?
I'd rather not replace it, if it's working, with one that isn't...