The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A ghostly image... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22998)

Whoru465 12-02-2004 10:05 AM

A ghostly image...

So I'm picking up some Chinese food last night and I walk back to my car and then stop dead in my tracks. The dim light from the store front was hitting the windshield just right, revealing the ghost image of the crayon sh*t that used car dealers use to write the price and info on the windshield! I was a little peeved. I fully clean the outside of my windshild almost every day (and I've had the car since July) and it's still there:mad: Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this? I've tried everything including paint thinner to no avail. Help. Thanks.

Wiz 12-02-2004 10:19 AM

Re: A ghostly image...

Quote:

Originally posted by Whoru465
So I'm picking up some Chinese food last night and I walk back to my car and then stop dead in my tracks. The dim light from the store front was hitting the windshield just right, revealing the ghost image of the crayon sh*t that used car dealers use to write the price and info on the windshield! I was a little peeved. I fully clean the outside of my windshild almost every day (and I've had the car since July) and it's still there:mad: Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this? I've tried everything including paint thinner to no avail. Help. Thanks.
Try cleaning the inside?

Whoru465 12-02-2004 11:05 AM

The image is most definately on the outside of the glass...:cool:

mohrds 12-02-2004 11:38 AM

Glass polish and a ton of elbow grease is the only way to get it off.

Use the finest grit diamond-based polish you can find.

Doug

UberRoo 12-02-2004 11:43 AM

Glass buffing compound. I've found that paint buffing compounds work too, but take more elbow grease. I don't know how well it will clean the residue you see, but unless your glass is porous, (and I'm pretty sure it's not,) I doubt it will be difficult to remove.

Ciscokid 12-02-2004 02:51 PM

Re: A ghostly image...

Quote:

Originally posted by Whoru465
So I'm picking up some Chinese food last night and I walk back to my car and then stop dead in my tracks. The dim light from the store front was hitting the windshield just right, revealing the ghost image of the crayon sh*t that used car dealers use to write the price and info on the windshield! I was a little peeved.

I thought the next line was going to say......"I paid more than what the number read" :D

Subafreak 12-02-2004 08:03 PM

Whenever I get a mist on my windows I can see my ET time in the windows from three years ago. Spooky:D

Whoru465 12-03-2004 07:34 AM

Re: Re: A ghostly image...

Quote:

Originally posted by Ciscokid

I thought the next line was going to say......"I paid more than what the number read" :D

:D :D :D I actually paid a bit less, which would account for that stuff being caked on there for so long. I've tried the glass polish, perhaps my elbows did not put forth enough grease...Would something like a high speed or random orbit buffer work? Also the glass does seem to be a bit porous, like little specks of the paint stuff found their way into the windshield. I don't think its more than the normal wear and tear on a windshield, but could the buffing compound possibly make the situation worse? Thanks for all of the help so far.:cool:

drivemusicnow 12-03-2004 10:33 AM

I'd suggest some glass polish, and a buffing machine, with a light touch... ... basically don't push too hard ;) I'd also try some "rain x" after you do the whole windshield.. the way it works is by filling in all those little "holes" in the glass

UberRoo 12-03-2004 03:30 PM

Be very careful with the power buffing machines. You buff too hard, and the glass gets hot where you're buffing. When the glass gets hot in one place, that puts enormous stresses on it from thermal expansion. Get it too hot, it will crack.

I was buffing the windshield in my Honda with a router and a cleaning disk. I was doping the disk with paint buffing compound and using light pressure. The results were excellent, but I lingered a bit long near a rock chip. The chip became a crack, and then grew pretty rapidly. After that I put a garden hose on my roof and let water trickle down while I was buffing. I had to use more buffing compound because it was constantly being washed away, but it solved to heat problem and I could work faster and use more pressure.

If I ever do this again, I'll probably use a buffing wheel and compound for polishing metal. There were a few heavy scratches that were very difficult to remove and/or did not come out fully.

The upside to using a high-speed motor is that the job goes pretty quickly. The downside is that it's very messy. :)

thundering02 12-03-2004 05:41 PM

Since we are talking about glass mark removal how about metal marks from glass will the same work here (road sign scrapes down the passwidow)

JLittell 12-04-2004 03:12 PM

Try using Lime-Away. Don't get it on your paint!

THAWA 12-04-2004 06:06 PM

windex and steel wool, make sure you keep the glass wet at all times.

JLittell 12-05-2004 06:58 AM

Really? Steel wool? Never heard that before...