The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Won't pass emissions....may need new cats (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12011)

driverdave 07-16-2003 12:54 PM

Won't pass emissions....may need new cats

My 92 LS-L won't pass emissions (in Colo.). The check engine light has been on most of the time since I aquired it, yet it hasn't stored any codes. My mechanic guesses that it might be saturated cats causing the CO level to be twice the limit. New cats from Subaru run $1600 installed.

My question is this: does anyone know of a source for new cats that are affordable. Not that I would, but it's against the law to install used cats on any vehicle in my state.

This car is going to be the death of me. With no codes, the Subaru techs have no where to start to figure out why it doesn't pass emissions. And I don't have the time or money to just start replacing parts one at a time until it passes.

Any help with emission ideas and/or new cat sources would be greatly appreciated.

mohrds 07-16-2003 01:22 PM

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but you may want to check if someone in your area has an SVX.

It only takes about an hour to swap exhaust systems from the headers to the back of the middle cat.

Then you can take your car to emissions and if it passes you know you need to at least replace your cats, if not other items.

A check engine light means that new cats will saturate again until you find the source of the problem.

Also, disconnect the negative battery cable overnight to reset the computer. Then it may register a code for you.

Doug

driverdave 07-16-2003 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
Also, disconnect the negative battery cable overnight to reset the computer. Then it may register a code for you.
Doug

I told the tech to disconnect both cables, touch them together, then leave the battery disconnected overnight. I don't think he had ever heard of touching them together (to discharge any capacitance in the system).

And I actually have another SVX myself. I hadn't thought of switching them out. That's a good idea. If I can just get my friggin plates, I will have plenty of time to work on it (and be able to take it for test drives).

Thanks for the quick reply, mohrds.

But at some point, I probably will have to put some new cats on it, and they definitely are NOT coming from Subaru!

jsvxstyle 07-17-2003 10:11 PM

Re: Won't pass emissions....may need new cats

Quote:

Originally posted by driverdave
My 92 LS-L won't pass emissions (in Colo.). The check engine light has been on most of the time since I aquired it, yet it hasn't stored any codes. My mechanic guesses that it might be saturated cats causing the CO level to be twice the limit. New cats from Subaru run $1600 installed.

My question is this: does anyone know of a source for new cats that are affordable. Not that I would, but it's against the law to install used cats on any vehicle in my state.

This car is going to be the death of me. With no codes, the Subaru techs have no where to start to figure out why it doesn't pass emissions. And I don't have the time or money to just start replacing parts one at a time until it passes.

Any help with emission ideas and/or new cat sources would be greatly appreciated.

show me the emmision result with a scanner i will tell you where to start and be done.