The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Getting a Cd out of a Cd player no longer in the dash (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33807)

Snickers 06-21-2006 01:21 PM

Getting a Cd out of a Cd player no longer in the dash

Hi Y'all,

It's been awhile. Still mourning the loss of my '93.

When I replaced my OEM stereo, I forgot a cd was still in the unit. I don't have a harness any longer to hook it up to power. Is there a manual eject somewhere? If there isn't, I'm assuming the two red wires leading to the white clip on the outside of the case are power leads. Is the one with the black stripe positive or negative?

Thanks for the help.

intelisevil 06-21-2006 05:17 PM

First you have to decide if you need the stereo to work when you're done . . .

Sorry, I have no clue, the first thing that came to mind was:

Get a big hammer . . . ;)

Good Luck,
Dan

Ricochet 06-21-2006 05:22 PM

Connect the power wires to any 12vdc source and hit the eject button:

Line up 8 AA batteries (touching at the ends) and touch the cd player wires to the ends of the line
Wrap the power wires around the two prongs of a 12v fuse in your fuse box i.e. parking lights, dash lights, cig lighter, tail lights, etc. and plug the fuse back into the car.

Snickers 06-21-2006 06:45 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know if the two red wires coming from the cd player are the power leads?

Does the stripe on one of those wires indicate power?

SVXDC, if you're still around, I'm sure you know this.

If I hook the polarity up wrong, I'll fry the unit. Don't want to do that.

intelisevil 06-21-2006 07:00 PM

Somehow, I think Brian's idea might work a little bit better than mine! ;) :rolleyes: :D

Brown/Red is +

Black is -

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXdc/4617.jpg

Dan

Snickers 06-21-2006 07:30 PM

Dan,

Thanks.

From the diagram, it looks like the wires I've mentioned are for illumination of the CD player. I can't read the diagram well enough to figure out which pins are power and ground on the main unit harness recepticle. I'll look at the radio to see if there are any indications.

Dave

Earthworm 06-22-2006 10:25 AM

Do you have the complete stereo? Yellow and Red are the positive ends (main/accessory). Black will be ground. You should be able to power up the unit and eject the CD.

It's Just Eric 06-22-2006 08:27 PM

Hmm..Did the old unit work? Im kindof looking for one. If it works, and has most of the wires and junk I could buy it off you, install it, eject your ace of bass cd and mail it back:D

CDG 06-23-2006 12:50 AM

Ya, what Eric said.
Send me your radio, And I'll get the CD out and mail it back to you!
Or better yet, I'll rip it and tranfer the file to my locker:p So you can download it:D

SVXdc 06-24-2006 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I'm still around. Just been working a lot of hours.

As you've figured out already, the 2-wire harness is just for illumination on the CD unit. The power to run the deck comes through the 13-pin round connector that plugs into the AM/FM/cassette unit. That harness is not shown on the wiring diagram. The diagram also does not show that the illumination wires connect back into the car (they don't just go between the CD deck and the radio, as the diagram indicates).

It would be possible to power the CD deck through its 13-pin harness, but I don't have a pin-out for that plug.

Here are the pins to power the deck: Attachment 7449 You may only need to connect to the +12V "memory" power pin. Many modern decks will let you eject a CD even if accessory power is off. If that doesn't work, try just the +12V accessory pin. If that still doesn't work then you'll need to power both.

Here's the pin-out for the entire radio connector: Attachment 7450 That orientation is the wires side of the wiring adaptor that I sell to plug into the car's connector. That is also the orientation you would see viewing the pins side of the car's connector.

seasvx 06-24-2006 07:35 PM

i just had my OE cd deck out of the car; i removed the face plate and was able to grab the cd between thumb and forefinger and withdraw it...