The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Insurance rate increases?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3313)

SSSVX 03-25-2002 06:36 PM

Insurance rate increases??

my auto insurance is going to be expired at the end of April. i didn't get any violations/accidents. i'm surprised that my due payment is increased for almost $70 bucks for no reasons. i remember past 1-2 months, my roommate also told me that his insurance payment was increased. i was just wondering why at that time.......
i talked to a couple of local insurance agents, overall, their rates are all increased. they said, they look at the overall drivers performances in this state, it's been more accidents and stuff happened, someone even told it's partially because of 911 event. what are your 2 cents? how about you guys' insurance rates doing.......:rolleyes:

lee 03-25-2002 07:20 PM

insurance rates

I just bought my SVX so I can't say the rates went up on it, but...

In absolute terms I have to pay about $740/year for full coverage on a 92 ls-l (with 100/300 liability and $500 deductable).

As a side note, I have a 17-yr old daughter and had to declare her as a primary driver on one of the vehicles (3 cars, 3 drivers). Anyway, State Farm gives me a $400/yr cheaper rate for her on a 91 Toyota MR2 than a 92 SVX.

Evidently, State Farm considers SVX drivers to be more likely to wreck than MR2 drivers.

EverclearAtMSU 03-25-2002 08:05 PM

Re: insurance rates

cheep insurace? where? $740 a year! GIME!!!!!!!

I've got 8 pts on my license, there's no such thing as cheep insurance for me! :(

Seraph 03-25-2002 08:42 PM

lee,
where do you live? I am moving next door. For insurance reasons. Damn it's cheap.

*starts to pack*

Lwin

phoenix96 03-25-2002 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
Evidently, State Farm considers SVX drivers to be more likely to wreck than MR2 drivers.
Or maybe State Farm considers the SVX more valuable than the MR2?

MNYPNNY 03-25-2002 08:49 PM

State Farm charges me $664.20 per year with a $250 deductible. But I haven't ever been even pulled over (knock on wood) since before we moved to CO.

-- Michelle

EverclearAtMSU 03-26-2002 06:14 AM

Re: Re: insurance rates

Quote:

Originally posted by phoenix96

Or maybe State Farm considers the SVX more valuable than the MR2?

obviously a svx is more valuable than an mr2! It was something I was looking at when I was buying my 1st car, you can get them pretty cheap, depending on what generation mr2, condition, and all the usuals. I found a 91 for $1000 in good condition in my area...

ensteele 03-26-2002 09:11 AM

My insurance agent told me that the reason that insurance was higher for the SVX than some of the other cars is that parts are very expensive and hard to get. For example - windshield $950.00 or so, so glass insurance is more expensive too. The SVX is a SPORT CAR, so the rates are higher. Points, and age are factors as well.

Mr. Pockets 03-26-2002 09:23 AM

Re: Re: insurance rates

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU
cheep insurace? where? $740 a year! GIME!!!!!!!

I've got 8 pts on my license, there's no such thing as cheep insurance for me! :(

Man, have I been there. I rolled my truck and got a ticket - both less than a year after I got my license.

Then I got a few more speeding tickets over the next few years.

I haven't been pulled over, though, in over four years. I've moved from FL to VT to MI since my last ticket, so the insurance companies don't find that last one.

I keep forgetting to remind my insurance company that I turned 25 last month...

EverclearAtMSU 03-26-2002 09:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: insurance rates

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I've moved from FL to VT to MI since my last ticket, so the insurance companies don't find that last one.

good idea, just run away from my problems :p

I have heard that when you establish residency in a new state that your driving record doesn't follow you...But I heard that it does in some states?

phoenix96 03-26-2002 12:02 PM

I was quoted $1064 a year for adding an SVX as a 4th car onto my parents' AAA policy. Keeping in mind that I am 16, I don't think that's too bad.

Mr. Pockets 03-26-2002 12:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: insurance rates

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

good idea, just run away from my problems :p

I have heard that when you establish residency in a new state that your driving record doesn't follow you...But I heard that it does in some states?

Well, that's not really how it works. The states keep their own records and insurance companies can research those records when checking the history of applicants. They just don't (in my experience, anyway). It doesn't pay. I'm sure every state has different hoops that the insurance companies have to jump through, and time is money.

And, to set the record straight, I didn't 'run from my problems' - I ran from bad jobs. :) I ran and ran and ran until I found a damned good one. :)

lee 03-26-2002 01:54 PM

insurance rates

I live in east central florida - Indialantic - to be specific - 4 blocks off the Atlantic on one of those dreaded barrier islands.

Some years ago I moved from the Wash DC area and was amazed at the insurance price drop - that was mostly due to lower theft rates.

The insurance difference between the MR2 and the SVX is primarily a liability insurance price difference - the comprehensive and collision part is a trivial amount compared to liability and uninsured motorist coverage.

As to a MR2 for $1K, I REALLY want to know where that is. In my area MR2s and SVXs seem to be about equal in price. I paid $3.5K for a '92 ls-l with 99K miles - needed maybe $1K in work. I also looked at a 94 LS FWD for $4.5, another 92 ls-l in perfect condition for 5K.

uconnscott 03-26-2002 02:15 PM

I pay $1775/per year

I live in a subarb, have a good record (no points, knock on wood), $200 dectbable collision, get insured through The Hartford, I am 24 years old........seems like a ripoff, but they claim I pay an extra 40% because I have an "Intermeidiate Performance Vehicle"......$1775.00 seem like a rip-off to me

EverclearAtMSU 03-26-2002 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee

As to a MR2 for $1K, I REALLY want to know where that is

it was in Okemos, MI. It was some guys kids car, and the kid got a job accross the state. So the dad had no need for it. It had a few dings, very minor rust. Interior was good, stained floor matts...what you would expect from a 91 owned by a hs student. I didn't drive it though, there could of been something the matter w/ it, but he said it was in excilent running condition.