The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do you get ink off suede dash?... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7998)

Strictly Subaru 01-07-2003 01:42 AM

How do you get ink off suede dash?...

I had a lousy day today, one of my friend's daughters sat in my svx today, and to make a long story short, I have two "blue ink" pen marks that "magically" appeared on my tan suede dash. (Passenger side..) I haven't tried cleaning it yet, I'd like to investigate this matter further before I make a mistake trying to clean it and only making it worse. How would you attempt to clean it? Has this happened to anyone else here? I should say I'm not mad at her, she doesn't know better, but unforetunatly, my svx is not a writing pad.....:(

b3lha 01-07-2003 03:41 AM

Hi,

I know this isn't a very good answer to your question, but I once asked our dealer to remove some dirty engine oil their mechanic had smeared on the roof lining :mad:. The stuff they used smelt like dry cleaning fluid.

It may be worth popping in to your local dry cleaner for some advice.

Phil.

FifthElement 01-07-2003 05:35 AM

Dry cleaners can whoop any stain's ass!

And hey, why not try some club soda? I'm told it does wonders.

svx_commuter 01-07-2003 06:26 AM

This is kind of funny.:)

One day my wife was sitting in the passenger seat, jotting down some notes. I was eyeing the pen in her hand as the tip was pointing outward. She was taking a break from writting. Then she moved her body to get something and the pen tip touches the suede. I was in shock.:eek: As she continued to move a line formed in the suede right above the glove compartment. She was in horror.:eek: I was in shock. The line was about 1" inch long, blue ink.

My mind went wild. Oh that won't be so obvious.:rolleyes: Yeah right. It's only staring you right in the face from the passenger seat. So much for taken care of this CAR. I guess I'll have to live with that.:( This car looked really good inside until now.:mad: Resolve carpet cleaner.:confused:

Then before I say anything she used that age old cleaning fluid that only a mother possesses. Used to clean the dirt off of many a child's face.

She put spit on her finger, rubbed it into the ink and the ink went away.:)

Happily and amazed we continued on down the road.:D

Oh what the poop it's ONLY a car.;)

svx_commuter 01-07-2003 06:30 AM

Re: How do you get ink off suede dash?...

Quote:

Originally posted by Strictly Subaru
I had a lousy day today, one of my friend's daughters sat in my svx today, and to make a long story short, I have two "blue ink" pen marks that "magically" appeared on my tan suede dash. (Passenger side..) I haven't tried cleaning it yet, I'd like to investigate this matter further before I make a mistake trying to clean it and only making it worse. How would you attempt to clean it? Has this happened to anyone else here? I should say I'm not mad at her, she doesn't know better, but unforetunatly, my svx is not a writing pad.....:(
There is a product made by Wink that is used for the laundry that will get ink out in the wash. That might work.

Blotting or placing a towel or cloth over the dash and not moving it while depressing with a credit card will prevent pilling.
:)

sfsvx 01-07-2003 09:02 AM

Whatever you use, dab - DON'T RUB!!

Aredubjay 01-07-2003 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dick Young
Whatever you use, dab - DON'T RUB!!
Agreed, Dick. Lighter fluid (Containing Naptha, a dry cleaning agent) is a possible cure. Some have used it to clean the black line that occurs on the sunroof lining.

CigarJohnny 01-07-2003 09:39 AM

I'm kinda curious if anyone has ever tried Oxyclean on the faux suede before? I've been thinking of trying it on the driver side armrest. Dirt and skin oils seem to like that location above all else on the car.

Aredubjay 01-07-2003 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
I'm kinda curious if anyone has ever tried Oxyclean on the faux suede before? I've been thinking of trying it on the driver side armrest. Dirt and skin oils seem to like that location above all else on the car.
The manual recommends a solution of warm water and Woolite for cleaning the Ecsaine (faux suede). I've had good luck with Kiwi spray suede cleaner. Use a suede brush first, to loosen dirt and "fluff" the material, then, use the suede cleaner as directed. Don't use a brush with bristles that are too hard and don't "scrub."

CigarJohnny 01-07-2003 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

The manual recommends a solution of warm water and Woolite for cleaning the Ecsaine (faux suede). I've had good luck with Kiwi spray suede cleaner. Use a suede brush first, to loosen dirt and "fluff" the material, then, use the suede cleaner as directed. Don't use a brush with bristles that are too hard and don't "scrub."

Thanks, Randy! :)

Strictly Subaru 01-07-2003 11:05 PM

I thank you all for your idea's. I'm going to try cleaning it this weekend, and I'll keep you guys posted....:)