The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's the best winter tire? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41230)

Crazy_pilot 10-11-2007 06:24 PM

What's the best winter tire?

So it's almost that time of year again when the white stuff starts falling and roads get slippery. I'm curious to know people's opinions on their best experience with winter tires.

Tirerack.com lists 7 tires in the stock SVX size, 225/50/16. If I decide to run 205/55/16's they have a lot more options.

Thoughts?

UPnorth362 10-11-2007 07:16 PM

Growing up in the UP of Michigan, and living right on Lake Superior. I was blessed with the worst of old man winters fury. From light snow, deep snow, ice, and slush, the Bridgestone Blizzak is the king ding-a-ling of winter traction:) I have used them on all my cars during the winter including my WRX, and there is no other. Just make sure come spring to replace them with summer tires, because they wont last long if you use them year round.

immortal_suby 10-11-2007 07:17 PM

I got my brother a set of 205 55 16 michelin X ice for his outback. From the propaganda they show us these are supposed to be 1 step below tire chains and out stop and start the blizzak and last longer. The big truck tires have used this tread technology in the xdn2 for a few years now and they love it. I am anxious to see how it does this winter.

Jnthn_Sctt 10-11-2007 07:18 PM

Just bought a set of Blizzak WS-50 for my Legacy Sedan, and Blizzak WS-60's for the SVX. Very good reputation, WS-50 has been around a while, I'll let you know how the 60's are.

Just my .02

Jonathan

Nevin 10-11-2007 07:54 PM

I highly recommend the bridgestone blizzak. In my opinion they are the best (non-studded) winter tire that exists for passenger cars. I don't have that much tire experience (I've only worked in tire shops for 5 years) but every person that I've put them on for has only said good things about them. They consistantly do very well in any test they are apart of and from what I hear from customers, they are just a very solid tire...

AppStateSVX 10-11-2007 08:36 PM

Falken Azeni 615

nexus_7 10-11-2007 08:37 PM

My maxima and my SVX both have yokahama ice guards...I like them. Best? I think they are better then the blizacks because they are true winter tires and dont wear down to all season ones.

Greg

Turbone 10-11-2007 10:18 PM

My SVX isnt going to be on the road when it gets nasty around here. I have my RX for that. And its a toss up between the Blizzaks and the Michelin X ice.
I'm leaning towards Mich because I can get them cheaper at Costco :rolleyes:

WestCoastSVX 10-11-2007 11:13 PM

Are these tires mentioned, the Blizzaks, etc, the type of tire you drive on all season like Nov-Mar even if it doesn't snow much? I was always under the impression that things like the Blizzaks were fairly hard core snow tires, fantastic in the snow, but places like here where it snows maybe once or twice all winter, maybe overkill?

My theory with living in the Pacific Northwest - on a daily driver I run one set of "all-seasons" year round. Can't really get "summer tires" that are near-racing slicks on a DD because it has potential to rain half the summer, and in the winter snow tires seems overkill as I mentioned. I'm happy with the Continental Extremes on the SVX for this purpose. I believe Earl puts these on every SVX he needs tires on as well and half a dozen other NWSVXers. They can handle anything the SVX can do on dry pavement, while at the same time working incredibly well in rain and standing water. And they got me through a couple commutes last winter with a rare 6" snowfall (I was the first one on the snow at 5:00am) with no drama. As an extra bonus these tires seem to be one of the most quiet ones out there, which is a big deal on the SVX because the wrong tires on this car can make it sound like your bearings are going bad when its actually the tires.

Just my $ .02 from the Northwest. I know this conversation is really about other regions of the country that actually have WINTER. :o

Hondasucks 10-12-2007 12:03 AM

I remember the rallycross guys raving about the Nokian Hakkapelita (sp?) tires, but not sure which tread pattern.. But around here unless you're going over the mountains or something, a good set of all-season tires with a fairly aggressive tread, should be fine.. I had a set of Michelin all-season tires (although I cannot remember what they were aside from being Michelin) that did very well on my 87 Turbowagon when I lived in Wyoming, a lot better than the Falken Eurowinters that I had on it.

Turbone 10-12-2007 12:08 AM

I dont know much about the Continental tires. I do know that on quite a few occasions we have had some nasty ice. I really dont want to run studs, so the next best thing is getting a tire with good siping on it. This is what makes the Blizzak and the Michelin so good, they have lots of it. I dont think the Blizzak is supposed to be run during dry weather (Summer), its a softer compound. I believe the Michelin is also. I know its probably not feasible for everyone, but having 2 sets of wheels make it a easier choice on what you want to run Summer and Winter.
The biggest reason I dont want to drive my SVX during inclement weather is its weight.
You know how hard it is to stop a train?
Yeah, I think of the SVX like that.....on ice :eek:
So, my trusty RX with locking center diff and dual range t-case is the best choice for winter driving. And the most fun :D

NikFu S. 10-12-2007 01:18 AM

IMO, Blizzaks are the best because they are soft and studless, but they do wear quickly and are horrible on anything that is not snow or dirt, especially ice. It's a mixed bag of stupendous. I would not use Blizzaks on a RWD vehicle.

Benztech55 10-12-2007 02:49 AM

The blizzak is a good tire. A great tire is Nokian tyres. There made is finland. They out cornered and out braked the blizzak. They pretty must only make snow tyres. look I live is up state NY. I had blizzak's on our c55. after driving the In laws e320 with nokian tyres hakka 2. I bought a set the next week. I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago he has a legacy and he got 4 seasons out of his nokian 's. I thought 3 season was pretty good.

louis 10-12-2007 07:28 AM

what's a good set of all-weather tires that aint too bad in winter and aint expensive? that's what I need.

LetItSnow 10-12-2007 09:37 AM

My snows: Blizzak Revo 1
Her (Forester's) snows: Blizzak Revo 1

My advice for a budget friendly all weather: Continental ContiExtreme