The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   World's tiniest Operational V-12 diesel engine (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59601)

svxcess 04-06-2012 09:48 AM

World's tiniest Operational V-12 diesel engine

OPERATIONAL V-12 DIESEL ENGINE THAT FITS IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND.

this guy has the Patience of a Saint and extremely skillful.

This is not your modern CNC technology; this guy made everything at home on his lathe and drill press. Took 1220 hours (a year and a half?) to make the 261 pieces needed. Note the end-loaded crankshaft into the block (like an Offy), 12 individual cylinder heads, TINY rods and pistons, dual "underhead" cams with pushrods to rockers in the heads.

He did break-in using an electric drill driving the crankshaft!

Even if you're not an engineer, you'll love this! Truly fascinating to watch it all come together.

Conn SVX 04-06-2012 11:21 AM

Re: World's tiniest Operational V-12 diesel engine

Does this one actually runon file or compressed air? I have see about 4 of them. Most use compressed air. Sorry I did not have time to watch the entire video

Green1995SVX 04-06-2012 12:12 PM

That is absolutely incredible!

SilverSpear 04-06-2012 12:21 PM

I literally envy people who can achieve this, amazing!

icingdeath88 04-06-2012 12:49 PM

Yea, that is really awesome. One part I don't quite understand - how is the fuel delivered?

92 SVX 04-06-2012 01:35 PM

external pump from the looks of it.
I wonder about oil I didnt see any sort of oil pan and while he was using the drill how could the bearings take that without problems.

Conn SVX 04-06-2012 01:53 PM

No fuel it is running on compresses air . Parts missing is ignition and fule pump, carburation. Only machanical parts. There are others that people have built ( Chevy V8 is another ) It runs similar to the way a sewing machine runs, so no heat only needs oil.

icingdeath88 04-06-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92 SVX (Post 701683)
external pump from the looks of it.
I wonder about oil I didnt see any sort of oil pan and while he was using the drill how could the bearings take that without problems.

You mean the pump looking thing he's putting together at ~7:23? That's the only think I can think.

I don't think there are bearings, I think the crank is in direct contact with the rods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 701684)
No fuel it is running on compresses air . Parts missing is ignition and fule pump, carburation. Only machanical parts. There are others that people have built ( Chevy V8 is another ) It runs similar to the way a sewing machine runs, so no heat only needs oil.

No, it's diesel. It doesn't need any ignition because it's diesel. It's not running on compressed air.

92 SVX 04-06-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 701689)
You mean the pump looking thing he's putting together at ~7:23? That's the only think I can think.

I don't think there are bearings, I think the crank is in direct contact with the rods.

No, it's diesel. It doesn't need any ignition because it's diesel. It's not running on compressed air.

yes, that does look like a injection pump, run off the cams or crank cant tell which but it would be a centrifugal pump of some sort then that other piece seems to go to a fuel rail.
and there is probably some pump pushing fuel up to that injection pump. Most diesels I have seen have 2 fuel pumps a lower pressure "lift" pump that keeps fuel fed to the high pressure "injection" pump.

92 SVX 04-06-2012 04:33 PM

ok after looking over the description at youtube this looks like it runs on compressed air.

Conn SVX 04-06-2012 07:54 PM

Some other motors
http://www.google.com/search?q=small...&client=safari