The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Minimum tire speed rating for 92 LSL stock wheels? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15323)

rperkin 12-31-2003 09:27 AM

Minimum tire speed rating for 92 LSL stock wheels?

Hi all,
After trawling the archives I couldn't find any mention of speed ratings recommended. Obviously the higher the better :D

However, some shops refuse to fit tires if they don't meet the minimum speed rating for the car, e.g. Costco.

I know the stock tire is the Bridgestone Potenza RE75 does anyone know what the speed rating on that is so I can use it as a minimum guideline?

Called my local dealership and they just scratched their head

thanks

Rich

Mr. Pockets 12-31-2003 09:40 AM

I don't know that I've ever seen mention of a 'minimum' speed rating for SVX tires. But, given the size, I think you're going to be hard-pressed to find a cheap tire *not* rated above 100mph.

I have Dunlop M+S rated all seasons on my SVX and even they're rated to 130mph.

I've never bought tires at Costco, but it sounds to me like they're full of it and just want to sell you more expensive tires. I had a Costco membership when I lived in VT, and their tire prices were no better than Sears. Do yourself a favor and get a Sam's Club membership instead. :p

I might be wrong, but 'we won't fit anything rated below <insert speed rating> for that car' sounds like a bunch of horse pucky to me.

Edit: Looking at Tire Rack, I think that the closest thing to an RE75 is the RE92, which is H- (130mph) or V-rated (149mph). If you're looking for a guideline, I guess there it is...

Green1995SVX 12-31-2003 09:43 AM

I have Dunlop SP Sport A2 tires on my stock wheels which are M+S and rated to 130mph. I rarely go above that speed, and the tires are awesome! That's my recommendation.

Mike

Mr. Pockets 12-31-2003 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I have Dunlop SP Sport A2 tires on my stock wheels which are M+S and rated to 130mph. I rarely go above that speed, and the tires are awesome! That's my recommendation.

Mike

The Sport A2 replaced the D60A2 I have on my SVX. It's my second set of them, and I agree with Mike - I've been very happy with their performance.

But not living in a snowy area, you might consider something less...all-season. :)

Green1995SVX 12-31-2003 09:48 AM

I have a spare wheel with a D60A2 mounted on it. The SP Sport A2 has a bit more agressive tred pattern and also larger grooves for the sloppy stuff. Probably a bit of an improved design. I'll be replacing mine with another set of the same.

Mike

LarryIII 12-31-2003 09:52 AM

Tire speed ratings are based on maximum continuous speed (mph) at load. If you buy a low speed rated tire, and exceed it's limit for a few seconds, you should be OK.
The most important thing is to make sure your tires are properly inflated. Please, don't do any high speed driving, without checking the cold tire pressure first. A tire gauge is a relatively cheap item, doesn't take up much room in the glove box, and could save your life. Think of it as cheap insurance.

LarryIII 12-31-2003 10:02 AM

Nick & Mike,

I have the Dunlop SP-5000 AS tires on the '97. I don't think that they are all that awsome. I find them louder than the AVS dB S2 tires with about the same snow handling capabilities. I think both these tires are just OK, not great in snow. I think that they are both very good in rain and wet roads.
The '94 has Yoko A-440 tires (I may have gotten the designation wrong). These are smoother riding but very loud compared to the other tires and not nearly as good on the wet, rainy roads. The '94 has never been out in the snow. Rosie won't allow it.

Royal Tiger 12-31-2003 10:12 AM

I may be wrong, but I could have sworn seeing Subaru recommends at least a V rating in my 94 LSi owner's manual.

Aredubjay 12-31-2003 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PA_SVX
I may be wrong, but I could have sworn seeing Subaru recommends at least a V rating in my 94 LSi owner's manual.

You are correct sir. V is the minimum. I also had a dealer refuse to fit anything less than a V. Sad it took so many posts before the question was actually answered. :rolleyes:

Green1995SVX 12-31-2003 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Sad it took so many posts before the question was actually answered. :rolleyes:

Oh quit your *****in' Randy. :p

ensteele 12-31-2003 10:20 AM

Other stores will not install tires that are less than V rated on the SVX. When I was in the market for new tires, many told me that they could only put the proper rated tire on. :)

Aredubjay 12-31-2003 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Oh quit your *****in' Randy. :p

Who's *****in'? I'm merely stating fact. Fact the way I see it. And that's the way it is. The way I see it. And so much for morons and idiots and dubbin and broken glass . . . And blah blah blah wah wah wah ---- <shrug> <bleh> :D:D:D:D

Mr. Pockets 12-31-2003 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Other stores will not install tires that are less than V rated on the SVX. When I was in the market for new tires, many told me that they could only put the proper rated tire on. :)
Hmph...I guess I've just never heard about that before. I'm pretty sure my Dunlops are H-rated.

Chicane 12-31-2003 10:43 AM

My yokohama A550Vs are Z-rated, have a traction rating of AA, are all weather touring/performance tires, and cost under $100 each from sears.

Find me a better deal than that. :D

- Rob

Clydesvx 12-31-2003 10:49 AM

I got my last set of tires at Sam's Club. Good Year made one for them it was called a Goodyear GPS. Sadly they stopped making them. I put almost 60,000 miles on them and it's getting close to replacement time. They were V rated, quiet, and great in the snow and wet.
It seems whenever someone makes a tire that performs/wears well they discontinue them and start making crap!