The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just bought car from shisvx! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12571)

sleepysvx 08-11-2003 11:54 PM

Just bought car from shisvx!

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to this group, I get my svx from shisvx (Hi Kelli!)...she told me to join this site, for good info...I will be getting a new tranny put in first...Just wanted to know what is the best trans. cooler and external filter, that I should put in? Can any one recommend a good place to buy from? I live in Portland, Oregon, and there is a place out here that sells a shift kit for $45, which I've heard would be good for the car..so I will be getting that this week...I guess I will use Mobil 1 for the ATF fluid...Well I'm happy to be a member and I can't wait to get my car! It is still in transit from NJ...Thanks for any info you guys may have for a new owner! Sean

Chicane 08-12-2003 12:25 AM

Cool. Just don't throw cigarette butts out your window and I'll be your friend. :)

How many miles are on it??

- Rob

sleepysvx 08-12-2003 01:22 AM

Hey Rob,
The car has about 124,00 miles on it..but the trans. is going..so that is my first big fix...I was going to put in a K&N air filter..but there were many posts against this..so maybe I will use STI..or just keeping replacing the paper stock filter..ahaha...There seems to be soo many different opinions on evey subject, but I think I will learn alot from the site, so I won't throw any cigarettes out the window any time soon..!

CigarJohnny 08-12-2003 06:21 AM

Wecome to the board, Sleepy! And congrats for buying an SVX, especially that one. Kelli had a lot of love invested in it. You'll learn more in a month form hanging out in this sight than you ever dreamed you would. Feel free to post any questions, folks here jump to be of assistance. A nicer group of people can't be found! In a hurry for an answer? Use the search button, it's your friend. ;)

Again, welcome, and take good care of the "Princess". :)

RSVX 08-12-2003 07:44 AM

Princess Pearlie Dimples is going all the way to Oregon, OH MY!!

elninoalex 08-12-2003 09:01 AM

Howdy Sleepy

Finally, another neighbor. My name is Stephen and I am your local(Beaverton) super-modded 5 spd SVX nut/used parts source. So if you have any questions or want to meet up, drop me an line. elninoalex@cs.com. Welcome to the club!

Stephen

Chicane 08-12-2003 11:09 AM

Just go with a regular old Fram filter. At 8 bucks a piece, its cheap enough to replace every year, and the K&N drop in doesn't provide any additional power that I've heard of (but it DOES allow more dirt in your engine)

- Rob

ensteele 08-12-2003 05:07 PM

Hi Sleepy

I am up North of you. Glad to see you joined in here. We are always happy to help where we can. :)

Ron Mummert 08-12-2003 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Hi Sleepy

I am up North of you. Glad to see you joined in here. We are always happy to help where we can. :)

Oh sure, Earl, just lure the poor unsuspecting lad into your Forest of Fuji, where you'll make an offer he can't refuse.

Ron (A pearly for Earley).

sleepysvx 08-12-2003 09:22 PM

Great site!

Hey, thanks everyone for the warm welcome...this must be the best place for svx advice/info! Well I am taking notes...I want to keep the car in good shape, and I will bring what I learn to the mechanic when any work is done...I'm glad I went with an SVX...I was actually also thinking about an early 90's non turbo 300zx, because I was scared the SVX might not be a good every day driver, but I think the zx has more problems...and the SVX is just more of a unique and rare vehicle..! I was close to getting a 94 L model, but it's nice having AWD in rainy Oregon...! Glad to know there are some other owners up here in the North..! Sean

ensteele 08-12-2003 11:08 PM

Gee Ron - scare the poor guy away! Now I will have to sneek up on him. :D Maybe I should use the Box o wine trick! :rolleyes: :p :)

LarryIII 08-13-2003 04:54 AM

Earl,

It's OK to use some of Ron's tricks. His Box-O-Wine one is very reliable, which is more than I can say for his His 'Box-O Chivas'; and I strongly recommend against using his 'Box-O-Shorts' trick.

LarryIII 08-13-2003 05:01 AM

Sean,

Welcome to our family.
Most SVXers used to recommend the Level 10 (northern NJ) or Don Wang (southern Cal.) rebuild of the auto trannys. These were usually followed by the Subaru rebuilt replacement auto tranny. Lately however, the 5-speed manual tranny swap seems to be catching on. So the choice is yours.

Good Luck and please take good care of "Princess Pearly Dimples."

SHISVX 08-13-2003 10:44 PM

Hopefully the car will get there a day early, just to surprise ya! i have been away for the past few days on a short vacation, glad to see that you logged on. i miss her very much and you better call me when she gets there...and take no interest in Chicane, nobody else does:rolleyes: :p :D

wish you the best of luck with her!

Kelli

calmone 08-14-2003 08:13 PM

in regards the trannie cooler, i can't say there is a "best" one. the important thing is to have one put in. they are readily available on the net and in trannie shops and auto supply places. there is an subaru external filter which should be on your car (under the battery as i recall). subaru sells a replacement cartridge for it. i suggest you get a replacement cartridge and have it put i when you do the trannie rebuild. also, if possible carry a box of wine in the trunk, just in case ron shows up near your town.