The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Whistlin' as we drive (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30427)

Electrophil 12-23-2005 11:13 AM

Whistlin' as we drive

I've developed a whistling noise when the accelerator is slightly pushed. At first I thought it was an electrical noise, but with a little experience in that area, I ruled that out pretty quickly.

Next, a vacuum leak... Nope, not that.

It's the Crank pulley belt. I can spray it with dressing (It seems to prefer thousand island..) and it quietens the whistle down to a bird chirp when I pull on the accelerator linkage.

My question is, Am I looking at a new Crank Pulley? The belt is only 3 months old and looks great.

I cut the AC belt off with a pair of scissors, so it's not the compressor. Why did I cut it off? I think I was mumbling something like: "hmmm.. Maybe this will shut your a$$ up."

The alternator is fairly new.

Anyway, is this the beginning sign of a bad crank pulley?

ensteele 12-23-2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
I cut the AC belt off with a pair of scissors, so it's not the compressor. Why did I cut it off? I think I was mumbling something like: "hmmm.. Maybe this will shut your a$$ up."

I can relate to that. Something done on the spur of the moment that makes perfect sense at the time, but you live to regret it at another time. ;) :D :D

Electrophil 12-24-2005 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I can relate to that. Something done on the spur of the moment that makes perfect sense at the time, but you live to regret it at another time. ;) :D :D

:D I'm destined to do just that everyday Earl.:D

Electrophil 05-18-2006 05:34 PM

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

The whistle is still there. I've tightened the belt. Spraying it with dressing disables the sound for a couple of seconds. Then it comes right back.

It sounds like a turbo. You'd think I have that special police twin turbo version we all done heard of.

What the heck is wrong with this thing?

Trevor 05-18-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

The whistle is still there. I've tightened the belt. Spraying it with dressing disables the sound for a couple of seconds. Then it comes right back.

It sounds like a turbo. You'd think I have that special police twin turbo version we all done heard of.

What the heck is wrong with this thing?

Belt tensioner pulley bearing ? Use a piece of tubing as a stethoscope and listen for the birdy singing.

Electrophil 05-18-2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
Belt tensioner pulley bearing ? Use a piece of tubing as a stethoscope and listen for the birdy singing.

Cool. That's a good idea. :)

dcarrb 05-19-2006 06:08 AM

Quote:

Anyway, is this the beginning sign of a bad crank pulley?

When my pulley started to go there was no (new) noise; I just happened to be watching at idle and noticed it had developed a "wobble."

The belt-driven hardware of every Suby I've owned has been fussy.

dcb

DarknessofDeath 05-19-2006 06:33 AM

i believe that when my pulley was separating on me it was also making some noises...sounded like a bearing noise...so it was higher in pitch

Electrophil 05-19-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
When my pulley started to go there was no (new) noise; I just happened to be watching at idle and noticed it had developed a "wobble."

The belt-driven hardware of every Suby I've owned has been fussy.

dcb

This scared me bad enough to actually go outside, start it up and look for a wobble. There doesn't seem to be one. I've seen JPEGs on here on Pulleys that have went out, it ain't pretty. Not pretty at all the damage they do. :eek:

Suby Fan 05-19-2006 06:39 PM

have you replaced the belt? maybe thats making the squeek...