The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Are Canadian cars factory wired for the security system? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58444)

Rod. 10-09-2011 04:48 PM

Are Canadian cars factory wired for the security system?

Anyone know if the wiring harnesses for the Canadian cars have the wiring for the security system used in the US cars? I've seen other vehicles where wiring not used in some markets is taped off rather than the factory having to deal with different harnesses for minor differences.

I'm wondering if I can use the security system in my US market '92 in my Canadian '97.

Green1995SVX 10-09-2011 08:57 PM

Re: Are Canadian cars factory wired for the security system?

That's a good question. It would be easy to find out. There would be a trap door on the ceiling of the trunk, with an empty harness just inside the trap door.

Rod. 10-09-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 688285)
That's a good question. It would be easy to find out. There would be a trap door on the ceiling of the trunk, with an empty harness just inside the trap door.

I checked that and there isn't a trap door, but afaik, the security system was done after delivery at the US dealers, so I'm guessing that's when the door was cut. I tried looking through the truck light hole but couldn't see anything am I'm not wanting to take it apart on the hope that someone has already been through this.

Thanks,

Green1995SVX 10-09-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod. (Post 688289)
I checked that and there isn't a trap door, but afaik, the security system was done after delivery at the US dealers, so I'm guessing that's when the door was cut. I tried looking through the truck light hole but couldn't see anything am I'm not wanting to take it apart on the hope that someone has already been through this.

Thanks,

The trap door is not something that was cut after the car was built. It's clearly a molded section in the trunk carpet, and there are two plastic latches that hold it in place. I don't believe you're going to find the electrical connector, either.

As an example, United states Market cars are not wired for the heated seats that are available as an option on Canadian market cars. Also, Canadian market cars come equipped with daytime running lights and a DTR module. The wiring is not in place on US cars for this, either.

Rod. 10-10-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 688293)
The trap door is not something that was cut after the car was built. It's clearly a molded section in the trunk carpet, and there are two plastic latches that hold it in place. I don't believe you're going to find the electrical connector, either.

As an example, United states Market cars are not wired for the heated seats that are available as an option on Canadian market cars. Also, Canadian market cars come equipped with daytime running lights and a DTR module. The wiring is not in place on US cars for this, either.

Thanks Green, I was pretty sure that I'd get the answer from someone here.

Guess I'll have to be happy with my hested seats :D