The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Yet another Trivia Question... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39850)

Sov13t 07-18-2007 09:08 PM

Yet another Trivia Question...

Start the car today, all the sudden I hear this knocking... at about 1 second interval... sounds like metal on metal. Give it a little gas... knocking speeds up. I am like **** ******* ******* **** **** ***** ****** FOR CRYING OUT LOUD....

Turn off the engine... start looking underneath the car.... checking if it is the exhaust or something... nope... keep checking around... nothing... Start the car again... knocking is still there... this time i let it idle and go around it once again... seemed to be coming from the bottom of the engine/transmission.

After 15 minutes... I start the car, knocking is very quiet now... so I back out and drive... stop and listen... everything is gone. I am puzzled, confused, lost, and dirty from lying on the pavement...

Here comes probably my favorite line: "Ideas are welcome"
-Sov.

SSSVX 07-18-2007 09:25 PM

Since your car consumes engine oil, are you sure have enough engine oil in there? :D

ensteele 07-18-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX
Since your car consumes engine oil, are you sure have enough engine oil in there? :D

I hope so. :o :o

Sov13t 07-19-2007 05:16 AM

Damn, you think I am that dumb? :eek:

-Sov

JaySVX 07-19-2007 06:39 AM

If it sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the engine, that would be my first indication as well. Check your fluid levels. Does it make the sound while driving? Does it vary with vehicle speed or just engine speed? Check your tranny fluid as well. Could it be a cracked flex plate?

svxfiles 07-19-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySVX
If it sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the engine, that would be my first indication as well. Check your fluid levels. Does it make the sound while driving? Does it vary with vehicle speed or just engine speed? Check your tranny fluid as well. Could it be a cracked flex plate?

No flex plate.
He has a 6 speed.

Sov13t 07-19-2007 07:38 AM

Started the car this morning, no sound. :confused:

Due to the fact that I do have an oil leak, I check my oil daily...

Will check later today (in the daylight) to see if the problem reoccurs.

Thanks
-Sov

SSSVX 07-19-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t
Damn, you think I am that dumb? :eek:

-Sov

Like you said: "Ideas are welcome." :D I don't mean to! First guess. :p

Is your car parked at flat ground? Sometimes if it's not, the dipstick won't give accurate reading. And, you have a leak, you never know if it leaks faster than before. :)

Sov13t 07-19-2007 09:30 PM

No worries :)

Its not making that noise anymore... or at least not as loud... here is what I believe occurred:

There was an echo effect created by the two vehicles that I was parked next to, so whatever the sound I heard was amplified.

Now, if I listen really closely i do hear a clicking noise... it doesnt sound like its mechanically incorrect or anything... now I believe this noise is normal for the engine... as I've heard it before... but I am not 100% sure. Anyways, I will be at OTs this Saturday just to take care of all the Asti before the meet :D :D :D :D HA HA...

-Sov.

SSSVX 07-19-2007 09:42 PM

Were you drunk or were you awake? :p

Very good and real digital echo sound effects huh. :D

Don't know if I could go ... but if I do, that'll be great to see you. Don't drink too much Asti, more knocking noise later on. :D

svxfiles 07-19-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t
I will be at OTs this Saturday just to take care of all the Asti before the meet :D :D :D :D HA HA...

-Sov.

OH, NOOOOOOOS!!!!!:eek: :eek:

TomsSVX 07-19-2007 10:05 PM

n02????

Anyway... sounds like mild rod knock bt cannot make any real judgement until I hear it in person... pretty common on 15yr old high mileage motors

Tom

svxfiles 07-19-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
n02????

Anyway... sounds like mild rod knock bt cannot make any real judgement until I hear it in person... pretty common on 15yr old high mileage motors

Tom

Thats what I thought,:o but
Sov13t and I spoke earlier on the phone, and it sounds more like his new exhaust hitting the crossmember,

or something.:)
Way cheaper and easier than an engine.:)