The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need to take rear subframe out (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34504)

seion 08-01-2006 06:01 AM

Need to take rear subframe out

OK, so I need to take the fuel tank out and it's recommended that the rear subframe has to be taken out first. Any advice on doing this besides taking the 4 bolts that hold it in place out? This is the first time doing this...:(

Speedklix 08-01-2006 05:04 PM

if you have motorcycle jack and some 2x4s with the ability to cut them that'll help... or even just some blocks to rest it on to line it up. What a headache?! I can't remember 100% everything that was involved, sorry.

Tom did an AWD swap on the Stage3 and I think he posted some pics that should help you get some bearings on it.

-EDIT-
here is a pic from toms locker: subframe

You will see that the trailing link to nuckle bolt was also removed on eachside. I think that is the best way of freeing the frame from the suspension. If you have the tools, it is 100 times easier to simply cut the nut off the bolt and install a new bolt and nut on eash side when you reinstall, instead of trying to break them free as they are self locking. Be sure you unbolt those handbrake and ABS lines as well.

seion 08-01-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix
if you have motorcycle jack and some 2x4s with the ability to cut them that'll help... or even just some blocks to rest it on to line it up. What a headache?! I can't remember 100% everything that was involved, sorry.

Tom did an AWD swap on the Stage3 and I think he posted some pics that should help you get some bearings on it.

-EDIT-
here is a pic from toms locker: subframe

You will see that the trailing link to nuckle bolt was also removed on eachside. I think that is the best way of freeing the frame from the suspension. If you have the tools, it is 100 times easier to simply cut the nut off the bolt and install a new bolt and nut on eash side when you reinstall, instead of trying to break them free as they are self locking. Be sure you unbolt those handbrake and ABS lines as well.

Thanks dude, this helps a lot. It seems I will need to cut those bolts, because they are HARD to get them loose. This is going to be one @#$%*$ mission I wished I didn't have to go through.

benebob 08-01-2006 06:54 PM

Yeah you're not getting that tank out w/o removing the subframe unless you wanna start cutting. Just curious though. Why are you removing the tank? They don't rot! I'd love though if you can get me measurements of the tank location when you have it out. We'll need to go with a fuel cell next year for hill climbing and would prefer to put it in the old tank location. We tried to remove the tank from a wrecked SVX but couldn't get the subframe off and the tank just won't come w/o it being at least loose.

seion 08-01-2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Yeah you're not getting that tank out w/o removing the subframe unless you wanna start cutting. Just curious though. Why are you removing the tank? They don't rot! I'd love though if you can get me measurements of the tank location when you have it out. We'll need to go with a fuel cell next year for hill climbing and would prefer to put it in the old tank location. We tried to remove the tank from a wrecked SVX but couldn't get the subframe off and the tank just won't come w/o it being at least loose.

Fuel lines that run down the fuel tank are rusted and leaking :mad:

TomsSVX 08-02-2006 08:48 PM

a 4ft .5" drive breaker bar is essencial in removing the rear subframe to get the trailering link arm off properly. Just be sure to get a rear wheel alignment after you are done

Tom

Speedklix 08-04-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
a 4ft .5" drive breaker bar is essencial in removing the rear subframe to get the trailering link arm off properly. Just be sure to get a rear wheel alignment after you are done

Tom

15 seconds cutting 3/4 of nut
2 seconds of impact wrench
$7 for new bolt and nut.

Less effort and more time drinking... priceless.
Thats just my method, I prefer not having to do an alignment and having the new bolts in anyway.