The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Early Turn Signal Cancellation (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13121)

Chicane 09-11-2003 03:17 PM

Early Turn Signal Cancellation

I've noticed this since I bought my SVX.... basically, the turn signals 'cancel' to early when going around a corner. I put them on... turn my wheel, and before I 'straighten' the wheel they go off. Is there an adjustment for this? Or possibly new parts?

- Rob

benebob 09-11-2003 03:23 PM

early cancelling signals

I think there was a recall for this for 92s.

Chicane 09-11-2003 03:30 PM

Re: early cancelling signals

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
I think there was a recall for this for 92s.
Really?! Dangit. I wish a previous owner would have done this when it was still under warranty. Wait... do you mean RECALL, or TSB? If its a recall they should still cover it right?

- Rob

Tim 09-11-2003 05:07 PM

Mine does that too. Gets really annoying. :(

rmjjensen 09-11-2003 05:52 PM

This is a recall, my SVX suffers from the same problem. I looked on alldata online and here's the information on it. I have yet to try it:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NUMBER: 08-32-94

DATE: 02-14-94

APPLICABILITY
97-MY-93MY SVX

SUBJECT:
PREMATURE CANCELLATION OF TURN SIGNAL LEVER

Affected Vehicles:
All 1992 SUBARU SVX's
1993 Subaru SVX's up to P*101119

If you encounter a customer complaint of a turn signal lever that prematurely cancels before the turn is fully completed while turning right or left, it will be necessary to scrape some plastic material from the combination switch bracket stopper with a sharp scraper or a knife.

Tools needed:
Phillips Screwdriver
Sharp Knife or Scraper

Repair Procedure:
1) Verify concern.
2) Remove upper and lower column covers.
3) Locate the area to be scraped using Figure 1. The material that is to be removed is shaded light gray in the Figure.

Click here for Figure 1

4) Scrape 0.1 to 0.3mm (.004 to .012 in.) thickness and 1/2 in.in length for right turn cancellation and 1 in. for left turn cancellation from the bracket stopper. See Figure 1.

NOTE: If the repair is performed for a premature cancellation to the left, the wire harness will need to be temporarily removed from its holder and reinstalled after proper operation is confirmed.

4) Remove all scraped material.
5) Replenish grease as necessary.
6) Recheck turn signal for proper operation.
7) If operation is normal, reinstall upper and lower column covers.

RSVX 09-11-2003 06:03 PM

I dont think it could get any more thorough than that... DAMN FINE JOB...

rmjjensen 09-11-2003 07:29 PM

I just copied off the TSB from Alldata, it's exactly what the subaru dealer gets...........anyone need anything?

svx_commuter 09-12-2003 05:06 AM

Thanks guys and you too Rob :) for bringing this up.

My SVX does the same thing but I kind of like it. :) I am not sure if I want to attempt this fix as the plastic could be brittle and break easy. At least the turn signal still works after 11 years. :)

SubaruPartsGirl 09-12-2003 05:45 AM

I can run your car's VIN to see if the recall would still be considered open...if it is still open then you should be able to have it fixed.

Ron Mummert 09-12-2003 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SubaruPartsGirl
I can run your car's VIN to see if the recall would still be considered open...if it is still open then you should be able to have it fixed.

Are you willing to run the VINs for all of us with the same problem?

Thanks, Ron M.

SubaruPartsGirl 09-15-2003 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Are you willing to run the VINs for all of us with the same problem?

Thanks, Ron M.

Sure, it only takes a sec...just PM me with the VIN and I'll run it through subarunet

RojoRocket 04-03-2004 02:04 PM

Say folks. I wanted to resurrect this old thread , as I've noticed this same problem since before the SVX came into my posession. I did a search and it appears subarupartsgirl may have long ago departed these hallowed halls. Can anyone enlighten me as far as where this issue went from here? If I have to I'll try the outlined repair myself, but wonder if SOA took any responsibility ongoing for the problem before I start taking the column covers, harness apart. Anyone? Thanks!

Glenn

shelfy 04-03-2004 02:32 PM

this must have been done on my 92 and had too much material scraped away. sometimes i notice i've been driving for miles with the turn signal on. :(

UberRoo 04-03-2004 05:07 PM

When I straighten out to rapidly after making a corner, my signal frequently flicks the other way. At first I thought I was just bumping it with my hand as I turned the wheel, but now I'm sure that it happens because I turn the wheel too fast. I always hold my signal on until I'm good and ready to turn it off, which I always do manually after I'm going straight. The only exception is when I'm racing around and I simply need both hands for other things.

Aside from that, mine works perfectly - in fact, better than any other car I can remember. Maybe you just can't win?

Aredubjay 04-05-2004 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shelfy
this must have been done on my 92 and had too much material scraped away. sometimes i notice i've been driving for miles with the turn signal on. :(

Yo, tambein.