The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trying to remove my tranny pan... it's STUCK... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56858)

clarkerussell 03-24-2011 04:42 PM

Trying to remove my tranny pan... it's STUCK...

Any advice on removing the tranny pan? I removed all the bolts, but it looks like there was some red gasket sealer on there and now I can't seem to separate it from the tranny housing. It's REALLY tough to do while under the car with jack stands.

I really don't want to refill the tranny without getting the old filter replaced... Thanks.

Clarke

Hocrest 03-24-2011 04:49 PM

Re: Trying to remove my tranny pan... it's STUCK...

Use a screwdriver or putty knife to cut through the RTV.

Be careful not to gouge the aluminum tranny.

clarkerussell 03-24-2011 06:11 PM

Is there supposed to be RTV there, or was that someones half ass excuse for a gasket?

RojoRocket 03-24-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkerussell (Post 671915)
Is there supposed to be RTV there, or was that someones half ass excuse for a gasket?

Should be a gasket. Fasteners should be tightened to only 2.5-3.3 ft-lb.

Glenn

svxcess 03-24-2011 07:38 PM

'

The transmission pan should have a gasket. The part number is 31397AA040...Runs about $19.00

The engine oil pan does not have a gasket, however.

clarkerussell 04-15-2011 08:54 AM

I finally got the pan off yesterday. I'm in the process of removing all the red RTV... what a pain.

I bought the Pro-King transmission filter kit from Advanced Auto Parts, but the one they recommend is not correct. Their lookup said I needed to use FK-380, but I really needed FK-237.

This was clearly spelled out in the Internal Transmission Filter Change PDF, but I somehow trusted the Advanceautoparts.com database... Stupid me.

The kit came with a cork gasket, is that correct? Thanks.

Clarke

Mike621 04-15-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkerussell (Post 673955)
I finally got the pan off yesterday. I'm in the process of removing all the red RTV... what a pain.

I bought the Pro-King transmission filter kit from Advanced Auto Parts, but the one they recommend is not correct. Their lookup said I needed to use FK-380, but I really needed FK-237.

This was clearly spelled out in the Internal Transmission Filter Change PDF, but I somehow trusted the Advanceautoparts.com database... Stupid me.

Clarke

I'd go with an OEM gasket versus the cork one.

clarkerussell 04-15-2011 04:28 PM

OK, so apparently there is no gasket for mid year 1995 and newer, you are supposed to use sealant. The pan part number even changed at that time.

According to Subaruparts.com there is a change at chassis #920972-

My pan has little grooves stamped between the bolt holes of the pan. I'm assuming this is to hold a quantity of sealant in place. I guess the older pans were flat and used a gasket. Oh well, I've changed my filter and ended up using what was left of my black RTV that I used on my oil pump. Hopefully it'll be all dry tomorrow evening and I can then refill the tranny. I ended up getting a touch less more than 8 quarts out of the pan. Not too bad...

By the way, the gasket that came with my filter did not line up with the holes in my pan.

Clarke

Coan 04-16-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkerussell (Post 673955)

Clarke

Hmm, I bought one a while back from Advanced and I haven't installed it yet. It looks like they gave me FK-280. Did you mean to type FK-280 or 380? Also, do you know what the difference is between the correct one and the wrong one they gave you?

I tried to install mine and had the same issues, couldn't get the pan off because there was excessive red gasket sealer on the pan. After much struggle I just put it back together and decided to wait till it was warmer out. :)

longassname 04-16-2011 11:33 PM

All the pans have the grooves stamped in them--they are all the same; they all use gaskets. I've gotten core transmissions with the pan put on with rtv like that before. I don't have any problems getting them off but I have a great selection of tools and am working comfortably on work height work benches and work carts. The good news is it usually comes off with the pan leaving the transmisison mostly clean. Cork gaskets usually require retorqueing after time. Fiber gaskets usually don't. The OE gasket is an especially thick fiber gasket. Transtec makes a good, thin fiber gasket which is a good choice if you have a pan nobody has overtorqued before or you can do a good job straightening the pan. Most SVX pans these days have been overtorqued at some point by now. This makes the thicker OE gasket a better choice. You should still nock the dimples around the bolt holes from overtorqued bolts back the other way.