The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   STI struts, what will work? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52003)

dromano 10-15-2009 08:43 PM

STI struts, what will work?

Are there STI struts that are workable in our SVX? I'm interested in cost of struts. If I'm looking at Koni's that cost more that the car is worth, forget about it. At 117k miles on a 92 what issues should I consider re struts?

yt 10-15-2009 08:46 PM

Re: STI struts, what will work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 621628)
Are there STI struts that are workable in our SVX? I'm interested in cost of struts. If I'm looking at Koni's that cost more that the car is worth, forget about it. At 117k miles on a 92 what issues should I consider re struts?

Nope, might as well sell the car worth less than a set of struts:rolleyes:

Tom

dromano 10-15-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 621629)

Tom

So, you interested in buying my 92 for less than strut cost?:angst:

yt 10-15-2009 08:54 PM

nope... Better off turning it in for Cash for clunkers...

ITS AN 18 year old car!!!! with over 100k miles on it. IT IS GOING TO NEED STRUTS!

Don't like it? get rid of it

Tom

dromano 10-15-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 621632)
nope... Better off turning it in for Cash for clunkers...

ITS AN 18 year old car!!!! with over 100k miles on it. IT IS GOING TO NEED STRUTS!

Don't like it? get rid of it

Tom

Tom, you got a hard heart. Cash for clunkers is history if you've missed the local news:tongue:

1986nate 10-15-2009 09:15 PM

I just think Tom as well as many others are sick of people being cheap with these cars. They are 13-18 years old and are going to need work and things replaced. They are uncommon cars with very little to no parts compatability with other vehicles and so people need to be prepared for any costs needed for routine maintenance as well as parts wearing out due to age as well as wear and tear.

dromano 10-15-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 621629)

Tom

On what basis of expertese do you eliminate All WRX STI struts to be modified for the SVX? I read a thread where someone was doing exactly that. How do I know you know what you say is fact?

dromano 10-15-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 621635)
I just think Tom as well as many others are sick of people being cheap with these cars. They are 13-18 years old and are going to need work and things replaced. They are uncommon cars with very little to no parts compatability with other vehicles and so people need to be prepared for any costs needed for routine maintenance as well as parts wearing out due to age as well as wear and tear.

So, Are you up for paying more for parts than your SVX is worth? There's a line between money pits and those that love the car and can't throw money at every need and don't want to get rid of the car they love, you represent to me a hard ass rich person.:p

1986nate 10-15-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 621638)
So, Are you up for paying more for parts than your SVX is worth? There's a line between money pits and those that love the car and can't throw money at every need and don't want to get rid of the car they love, you represent to me a hard ass rich person.:p

Actually I'm broke as S*** and in fact my SVX has a blown high clutch in the transmission so I am left with only 1st and 2nd gear. However I don't complain and still love the car. It also has a slight motor knock however it has never left me stranded in a little over a year and if I did have any money, I would gladly put a lot of it into my car that is only "worth" about $2500 with a properly running motor and functioning transmission. I put worth in quotes because that is the book value on it. To me, I wouldn't sell it unless someone actually decided to give me over 2x that in its current state. But that's just me I guess.

ShiuludeSVX 10-15-2009 09:34 PM

Mine has cost me a bit to keep going, but that is not a complaint. As you said, it has never left me stranded.

I picked up my '92 over 4 years ago, and it now has almost 277K riding on the struts, but they get switched out next week. Oem

1986nate 10-15-2009 09:36 PM

Just be weary of the OEM as most have been sitting on the shelves for years and it seems quite a few that have gone that route have had them fail. (and usually its after the 1 yr MFG warranty:()

LetItSnow 10-15-2009 09:39 PM

A $180,000 house that you buy for $45,000 is a "fixer-upper". How much did you pay for your $30k+ car? ;)

Subaru spits out more Imprezas in a month than their whole run of SVXi. The bottom line is, if you want a car that doesn't need replacement parts (at least not today), doesn't have expensive, unique, or rare replacement parts, and has a book value higher than a full replacement of a suspension, set of brakes, new tires, and maybe a transaxle...

...you may actually want an Impreza.

dromano 10-15-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 621640)
Actually I'm broke as S*** and in fact my SVX has a blown high clutch in the transmission so I am left with only 1st and 2nd gear. However I don't complain and still love the car. It also has a slight motor knock however it has never left me stranded in a little over a year and if I did have any money, I would gladly put a lot of it into my car that is only "worth" about $2500 with a properly running motor and functioning transmission. I put worth in quotes because that is the book value on it. To me, I wouldn't sell it unless someone actually decided to give me over 2x that in its current state. But that's just me I guess.

I paid $10,000 in 1999. I plan to keep it in driving condition till I can no longer crawl in or out due to my age. I have spent $5,000 in maintenance and upgrades, if I can find struts for less than $1,200 I will search to do so. I figure a buyer would give me $1,000 today as I spit in his eye for my SVX.
My guess is we are about 4 generations apart. I'm cheap and proud of it, being cheap has made me an inventor, what you got to show for your spending excesses? I have a tranny that has been completely rebuilt that is available for your 2 gear mess, the price is $2,000. Still think I,m cheap?:)

dromano 10-15-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 621644)
A $180,000 house that you buy for $45,000 is a "fixer-upper". How much did you pay for your $30k+ car? ;)

Subaru spits out more Imprezas in a month than their whole run of SVXi. The bottom line is, if you want a car that doesn't need replacement parts (at least not today), doesn't have expensive, unique, or rare replacement parts, and has a book value higher than a full replacement of a suspension, set of brakes, new tires, and maybe a transaxle...

I can't fit in an Impreza, my legs are too long. Pregnant roller skates do not work for the tall elderly, get over your youthful ambivalence. Size matters:lol: WTF's your point?

dromano 10-15-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 621644)

WTF does the price of a house have to do with an 18 year old car? This better be good!