The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hydrolock prevention and fix? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36085)

Bxsvx 11-11-2006 08:36 PM

Hydrolock prevention and fix?

http://www.prepsparkplugs.com/hydrofix.htm , what do you guys think?

trieck1232 11-12-2006 08:38 AM

looks like a good idea but i cant say i want to be the one to try them and see if they work ;)

ShiuludeSVX 11-12-2006 11:44 AM

Not so sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by trieck1232
looks like a good idea but i cant say i want to be the one to try them and see if they work ;)

Quote ---> The spark plug is structurally weakened such that the excessive cylinder pressure which develops under hydrolock will permanently deform the spark plug, generating a vent port.

Uhhh. I don't like that one.

I haven't looked at the price of these things yet, cause that statement
broke my stride.

Nothin like paying $20 each for six, and then having to do it again after
the first use, to make sure your safe again later.

I can see this if your Fording rivers, and streams, and driving a Swamp
Buggy {so cool}.
But, no. :D

TomsSVX 11-12-2006 12:21 PM

still not gonna help when you stamp your rod bearings and piston pins flat:rolleyes: ... If you are wheeling like that... expect this to happen... If you have a car... wait till the water goes down to drive, or find a way around it. Never a good idea to submerge your car that high anyway

To,m

trieck1232 11-12-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX
Quote ---> The spark plug is structurally weakened such that the excessive cylinder pressure which develops under hydrolock will permanently deform the spark plug, generating a vent port.

Uhhh. I don't like that one.

that is a vewry good point i second the motion on waiting untill the water goes down to drive.

Earthworm 11-13-2006 08:22 AM

I think it would be cheaper to replace the plugs if/when this happens as opposed to the engine internals.

Trevor 11-13-2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
I think it would be cheaper to replace the plugs if/when this happens as opposed to the engine internals.

Here, here. It would appear that the principle involved is not silly and could prove of real value where a vehicle could be expected to have to go off road in special circumstances, e.g. fire truck, ambulance etc.

Mr. Pockets 11-13-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
Here, here. It would appear that the principle involved is not silly and could prove of real value where a vehicle could be expected to have to go off road in special circumstances, e.g. fire truck, ambulance etc.

Well, sure. It sounds like a great idea, and I do wonder if it really works.

My question is whether the plugs can relieve pressure quickly enough to save the engine internals.

So who's gonna try it out? :)

Trevor 11-13-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Well, sure. It sounds like a great idea, and I do wonder if it really works.

My question is whether the plugs can relieve pressure quickly enough to save the engine internals.

So who's gonna try it out? :)

I think it would work, because the set point could be lower than the pressure level which would cause damage. A sort of mechanical fuse. ;) Interesting subject for sure. :)

Suby Fan 11-15-2006 06:59 AM

but if your car does hydrolock then your still stuck... in some high water :eek:

AlcyoneDaze 11-15-2006 11:20 AM

I feel funny posting about a car that I''ve had for a day, but I made a custom CAI for my old car out of heat wrapped mandrel bent muffler pipe and had good results. To avoid hydrolocking since the filter was literally at wheel level and my town river tends to flood its banks a lot lately (thanks global warming!) I put a breather valve near the intake manifold. If enough water is getting sucked up, the breather valve will keep it from reaching the engine. just an idea