The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Check Engine Light (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10299)

RSVX 04-25-2003 12:54 PM

Check Engine Light

OK, so I start the car this morning and I look down and see a little red check engine light on... and Im sitting here thinking, I have never seen this on before.

I also nothing that the car seemed to be idling a bit high... ie 2000RPM. So as I stair at it thinking, damn I have to go to work, and I am already late!! I tap the gas and it goes away... so thi leads me to think its teh Throttle Position Sensor...

Am I right? My car has also been idling a little rough as well... would this contribute to that?

How much and how easy to do on your own? Keep in mind I used to fix jets for the Air Force, so I know my way around tools...

Aredubjay 04-25-2003 01:30 PM

Re: Check Engine Light

Quote:

Originally posted by RSVX
OK, so I start the car this morning and I look down and see a little red check engine light on... and Im sitting here thinking, I have never seen this on before.

I also nothing that the car seemed to be idling a bit high... ie 2000RPM. So as I stair at it thinking, damn I have to go to work, and I am already late!! I tap the gas and it goes away... so thi leads me to think its teh Throttle Position Sensor...

Am I right? My car has also been idling a little rough as well... would this contribute to that?

How much and how easy to do on your own? Keep in mind I used to fix jets for the Air Force, so I know my way around tools...

Run the self diag first, to be sure. I'm thinking it may just be an O2 sensor, The rough idle may be simply due to a dirty throttle body. Do the diag first, and take it from there.

svxcess 04-25-2003 02:02 PM

Re: Re: Check Engine Light

A RED Check engine light? I thought they were all yellow...

Aredubjay 04-25-2003 02:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Check Engine Light

Quote:

Originally posted by svxcess
My check engine light is RED-- BRIGHT Red. You know if it were yel . . . the other color, I wouldn't be able to stand it. :p :D

svxcess 04-25-2003 02:14 PM

I stand corrected, sort of. I went out to my car and turned on the ignition, all the indicators were red EXCEPT for the check engine and ABS, which are bright ORANGE.

Once I replaced the 2 front O2 sensors the CE light went out, but all the way to Reading and back it was my constant companion.

Aredubjay 04-25-2003 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxcess
I stand corrected, sort of. I went out to my car and turned on the ignition, all the indicators were red EXCEPT for the check engine and ABS, which are bright ORANGE.

Once I replaced the 2 front O2 sensors the CE light went out, but all the way to Reading and back it was my constant companion.

Interesting. Mine's STILL RED

Earthworm 04-25-2003 03:08 PM

I second the cleaning of the throttle body!

Pull the code though.

ted_garlock 04-24-2006 08:33 PM

How to get Check Eng. Codes

Hi, I've been lurking here for quite some time, but this is one of my few post(s) (I'm not even sure if it should be plural). Anyway, my 1992 LS-L has sometimes had the Check Engine light come on, then I turn off the car, unplug the MAF, plug it back in, re-start, and all is good. This morning, the un-plug, re-plug method did nothing. Can anyone link me a site that shows how (as in where the connector is) and what the corresponding codes mean? The link above doesn't work. My previous method leads me to believe that it's the MAF, but I could also have bad O2 sensors, or whatever else. I just don't want to put up $250 for a MAF if I only need O2 sensors. Most likely, I will replace them both, but the question is in what order. Also, what brand(s) do you guys reccomend for replacement parts. Budget is a concern because I spend most my fun money on my motorcycle, and have the SVX as winter time fun. Thanks - feel free to PM me if you don't wanna post any info.

sharky512345 04-24-2006 09:10 PM

my CEL came on recently as well. I looked in the how to section and tried to pull the code by using the kickpanel method and the blue wires. the only problem is that the hole i'm supposed to plug the wire into doesn't have anything in it, just plastic. It didn't work. I'm guessing that this is because i have an obdII svx. Does anyone know how i can pull the code? Thanks!

alltrac 04-24-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky512345
my CEL came on recently as well. I looked in the how to section and tried to pull the code by using the kickpanel method and the blue wires. the only problem is that the hole i'm supposed to plug the wire into doesn't have anything in it, just plastic. It didn't work. I'm guessing that this is because i have an obdII svx. Does anyone know how i can pull the code? Thanks!

OBDII code reader. Most autozones have a tool loaner program or you can buy one.

sharky512345 04-24-2006 11:12 PM

I have access to an OBDII code reader. I tried hooking it up but the reader didn't get past the welcome screen. It is an older snapon scanner where you have to put the cartridge into it. I put the cartridge for asian import into it and there is another thing where i hook in a chip and there are a bunch of different chips that could possibly go in there. I hooked it up and never got past the welcome screen. I should just take it into the shop.

EDIT: its a snap on MT2500

Earthworm 04-25-2006 11:34 AM

Welcome to the site! I updated my expired link above. The new site is http://svx-iw.com/ and you must click the "SVXipedia" link to get to the codes section. Let us know your results or if you have any troubles.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ted_garlock
Hi, I've been lurking here for quite some time, but this is one of my few post(s) (I'm not even sure if it should be plural). Anyway, my 1992 LS-L has sometimes had the Check Engine light come on, then I turn off the car, unplug the MAF, plug it back in, re-start, and all is good. This morning, the un-plug, re-plug method did nothing. Can anyone link me a site that shows how (as in where the connector is) and what the corresponding codes mean? The link above doesn't work. My previous method leads me to believe that it's the MAF, but I could also have bad O2 sensors, or whatever else. I just don't want to put up $250 for a MAF if I only need O2 sensors. Most likely, I will replace them both, but the question is in what order. Also, what brand(s) do you guys reccomend for replacement parts. Budget is a concern because I spend most my fun money on my motorcycle, and have the SVX as winter time fun. Thanks - feel free to PM me if you don't wanna post any info.

TomsSVX 04-25-2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess

I thought so too. But then I realized I only owned 94 model SVXi. When I got my 1st 92 I noticed the extremely red CEL so all 94+ SVXi have yellow CEL's while 93's and 92's are red... Case closed

Tom

TomsSVX 04-25-2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky512345
I have access to an OBDII code reader. I tried hooking it up but the reader didn't get past the welcome screen. It is an older snapon scanner where you have to put the cartridge into it. I put the cartridge for asian import into it and there is another thing where i hook in a chip and there are a bunch of different chips that could possibly go in there. I hooked it up and never got past the welcome screen. I should just take it into the shop.

EDIT: its a snap on MT2500

Are you plugged into the connector on the bottom of the dash on the pass side of the steering wheel??

Tom

ted_garlock 04-25-2006 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Welcome to the site! I updated my expired link above. The new site is http://svx-iw.com/ and you must click the "SVXipedia" link to get to the codes section. Let us know your results or if you have any troubles.

That is awesome! Thanks a lot.