The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   blue smoke (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50001)

Famouspork 04-24-2009 06:37 AM

blue smoke

I did not pay a lot of money for my car, but it seems I'll have to change many things in it to get a good running car.
Its putting out bluish smoke when cold and at hard acceleration when warm.
Head gasket?
Valve seals?
Rings?
all of these answers?

y2daniel1981 04-24-2009 06:47 AM

Re: blue smoke

blue = oil. So any seal that that can get oil into your engine

Famouspork 04-24-2009 08:15 AM

Where should I look first?Where are svx most vulnerable to seal breakage?

Crazy_pilot 04-24-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2daniel1981 (Post 598690)
blue = oil. So any seal that that can get oil into your engine

:confused::confused: Most keep the oil from getting out of the engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Famouspork (Post 598694)
Where should I look first?Where are svx most vulnerable to seal breakage?

Smoke during acceleration is typical of worn piston rings. Smoke during a cold start can be either the rings or the valve seals. A compression test can identify the bad rings.

paulmeisterpk 04-24-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 598699)
:confused::confused: Most keep the oil from getting out of the engine.

Smoke during acceleration is typical of worn piston rings. Smoke during a cold start can be either the rings or the valve seals. A compression test can identify the bad rings.

Yep. I'd say rings, but do a comp test first.

Famouspork 04-24-2009 12:21 PM

dagnabit!!!

Mike621 04-24-2009 12:51 PM

My Claret exhibited similar symptoms, along with a head gasket issue, so we opted to rebuild.

Famouspork 04-24-2009 01:00 PM

most probable course of action

subbieatnz 04-25-2009 08:50 AM

Dont spose it is over full with oil? lol I had that problem. dont try filling your svx at nite in the dark with very little light lol :lol:

bjandtheband 04-25-2009 09:24 AM

mine did the same thing ,so i got the cam seals and valve cover gaskets replaced and that fixed the problem.

TomsSVX 04-25-2009 10:38 AM

sounds like ring wear to me... As others have said. Comp test to be sure... they are a ***** to do on this engine but may be worthwhile for a proper diagnosis

Tom

SURTEESS 04-26-2009 01:00 PM

This is from one of my old posts - it might help you with the issue.

Hey guys - had similar problem with mine a few months ago (it would puff grey smoke at initial stat-up only), I checked PCV valve & all the other standard issues... but to no avail, just could not put my finger on the issue.

Took it along to local agent who has always serviced it for pas 10 years (hard to think that I have had it that long!!).

He suggested the Aux. air control valve was blocked or not working (this is a non-serviceable part - yeh right!!!). If you are standing in front of car then the AACV is located under the right inlet bank (header pipes) - look between 1st & second ones you will see a round tapered aluminium tube - it has a square base with 4 bolts attaching it to the block (also has 1 - 2way connector at taper end).

This operates an aux air supply when the engine is cold, operates on a 12 volt supply operating a bi-metal spring (plus the engine getting warm through the aluminium block casting).

When cold the tapered part is fully open, about the size of a NZ 5c piece (dime size) - as the spring & engine warm up then there is a sliding shutter that closes approx 80% off.

Sorry guys but my scanner has died last week - but those of you with 1992 service manuals look at book 2/3, section 2-1 (page 3) Emission control system & vacuum fitting, part 15.
Same drawing is also in section 2-7 (page 3) Fuel injection system, part 15.

Shown fully is in section 2-7 (page 5) AUXILIARY AIR CONTROL VALVE.

Mine was full of oil - he explained that this happens when the car is being used for short stop/start trips.

I got the old one back - soaked it in kero & tested it with 12v supply, works like new (so have a spare!!).

Maybe some one can copy & place in the "how to" area?.

Good luck - from New Zealand.

Suby Fan 04-27-2009 05:05 PM

ummm what are these "agents" you NZ types keep talking about?

SURTEESS 04-27-2009 06:09 PM

Local agent (in my case) = local Subaru dealer/service center....

RisingPhoenix 06-17-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjandtheband (Post 598826)
mine did the same thing ,so i got the cam seals and valve cover gaskets replaced and that fixed the problem.

Same here. Several mechanics told me the cam seals and Valve Cover Gaskets are quite bad and the main cause of blue smoke at startup. Amongst other gaskets and seals needing replacement.
Rings and pistons rarely have issues unless poor oil is used.
Mine has close to 300,000 miles and it's sensors and vacuum that fail way before the engine has issues.
NOTE: I have no blue smoke while car warms up or under acceleration.