The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Performance of new OEM trunk struts? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54502)

WestCoastSVX 05-11-2010 12:27 PM

Performance of new OEM trunk struts?

Since I've never experienced 100% new trunk struts, I was wondering if those that have replaced theirs with new OEM struts from Subaru could describe how they work?

Like at what points they will hold the trunk lid (45 degree angle, etc)?

How much lift do you have to provide with your hands to get the lid up from closed?

How hard does it close if you let go at say 6-12 inches when dropping the lid?

Stuff like that...

Thanks!

dcarrb 05-11-2010 01:16 PM

Re: Performance of new OEM trunk struts?

I just replaced long-dead trunk "stays," and I keep forgetting and lifting hard on the trunk lid. Honestly, that's the biggest difference I notice: Less effort is needed to open the trunk. It's not like the lid will pop open the moment you turn the key.

My teal's struts were so far gone the lid would slam on its own from near vertical. Five+ years later, the replacements don't seem to have lost much muscle.

dcb

kwren 05-11-2010 02:28 PM

My new trunk struts work great. When the lever at the drivers seat is pulled the trunk does not fly open, just unlatches, but when you try to lift it up, it moves easily. Naturally it stays up when it is raised... A trunk can do only a limited number of things... not sure what you want yours to do:confused:

Keith:cool:

However, my silver is in the 30,000ish mileage range and has no spoiler. Not sure I want to drill the holes quite yet:(
That would have an effect on the lifting, but probably not a lot, depending on how far back I install it would also make a difference:).

WestCoastSVX 05-11-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 646700)
not sure what you want yours to do:confused:

I want mine to drive the car for me when I'm too tired. :lol:

No, really, I don't necessarily want mine to do anything, I'm just asking what it is "supposed" to do.

I'm actually field testing a set of factory prototypes on my car right now, and they work 10 times better than my 18 year old ones did... But I don't have a reference as to how good they are working compared the official Subaru OEM ones.

I'm trying to get an idea of that, and then I'll also probably try to get together with Earl or someone around Puget Sound here with newer struts to see the difference.

But I've already said too much. ;)

Sean486 05-11-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 646717)

I'm actually field testing a set of factory prototypes on my car right now....

Oh come on man, spill it. We want the details.

ensteele 05-11-2010 05:56 PM

I'll get it out of him! :lol:

kwren 05-11-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

I know my lips are sealed!

Are you anywhere near Tacoma?

Spill your guts... Mum is the word... with the threat of toothpicks under the fingernails or even with a few shots from that CIA waterboarding water pistol.

kwren 05-11-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

I'm actually field testing a set of factory prototypes on my car right now,

Sure you are!!

Factories are springing up all over the world to try to undercut Subaru factory with a better strut for the trunk lid on the SVX!
I have actually known about this for 20+ years.

Took a while to drag it out of me, didn't it!

SilverSpear 05-11-2010 11:46 PM

Patience people... these are still the prototypes and are supposed to be clones to OEMs. Better versions might be also coming out soon.

Whoever have bad struts, just bear with them for now and keep tuned to the updates...

WestCoastSVX 05-13-2010 02:13 PM

Where's some of the real picky guys (svxcess?) to chime in on this? I know some of you got to have nearly new ones! :D