The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ATF Pan leaks, 96-97 cars (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63490)

svxcess 05-26-2015 03:56 PM

ATF Pan leaks, 96-97 cars

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone here used an earlier-design transmission pan gasket in a transmission pan designed for Fujibond? Have you experienced a leak?

One of our members here with a 1997 started to have an oil leak possibly because he had a dent in the pan. Replaced it with a new one.

He tried using the gray "Fujibond-type" (not OEM) sealant and it did not seal the leak and seemed like it never cured. He removed the pan again and removed the sealant completely (it just wiped off) and used the transmission pan gasket (from an aftermarket SVX ATF filter kit). Still has the leak in the same spot.

Here is what I found out from Subaru Techline Technical Analysis and Performance today.

The redesigned 1997 SVX Transmission Pan, part number is 31390A060 and is designed to be used with Fujibond

The original 1992-1994 SVX Transmission Pan number is 31390AA039 and designed to be used with a pan gasket. The gasket number is 31397AA041

Midway through the 1995 model run, Subaru changed from the old pan/ gasket to new pan/ Fujibond.

The change was not determined by VIN or production date, but by transmission #.
92072 and later transmissions used Fujibond
92071 and earlier transmissionsused the gaskets
All 96 and 97 cars were Fujibond

Subaru also confirmed there are only 2 types of Fujibond in use.

GRAY:
used in engine assembly only. Designed for precision-mating surfaces and high torque fasteners

RED used in transmission pans and oil pans.

The red Fujibond will stay relatively soft and shiny after curing. Do not substitute the gray for the red to prevent leaks.

RED Fujibond K0877YA020 (Also called Subaru Three Bond Sealant)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1432676308

What has been your experiences? Keep the new pan and use Fujibond or go back to the original pan and use a gasket?

Have any members who have the later Fujibond had leak problems, such as after replacing the ATF screen filter?

Can anyone confirm what the actual pan differences are (profile, cross section..? I believe the later one has a small raised lip around the perimeter to contain the Fujibond, but not sure.

bheinen74 05-26-2015 05:14 PM

Re: ATF Pan leaks, 96-97 cars

interesting.
not many of us have 97's

If I ever have to mess with mine, which i assume is still the original factory trans just about to drive to the 70k mark, if i ever have to touch mine it will either to be rebuild it (my dad will do that) or I will put in one from a Forester.

svxcess 05-26-2015 06:10 PM

I was wondering about those with transmission pans with Fujibond. Mid-1995, 1996, 1997.

Many regularly drain and refill ATF every 30K. Some drop the pan and replace the screen filter as well. Wondering if those who have done that ever had problems with leaks after changing that filter and using Fujibond to reseal.

svxcess 05-26-2015 06:12 PM

I was wondering about those with transmission pans with Fujibond

Many regularly drain and refill ATF every 30K. Some drop the pan and replace the screen filter and clean the magnet, as well. Wondering if those who have done that ever had problems with leaks after changing that filter and using Fujibond to reseal.

bheinen74 05-26-2015 06:35 PM

well, if these are ANY WAY at all like the 92-94 Turbo Legacy autos, which i am about 100% sure they will be, they ALL will leak at the ATF dipstick tube where it attaches to the trans, the O-ring down there gets brittle and leaks. A leak there, will make one think the pan is leaking, when in fact it is the tube, up front leaking, then dripping/blowing to the back and there is the leak. Every one of my Legacy leaked at that 39 cent generic o-ring. Easy cheap fix too.

- i will probably do the drain and fill in mine sometime in the summer/fall since I have zero records

Blacky 05-26-2015 06:36 PM

I changed the fluid and filter on my '97 and used the gasket which came with the aftermarket filter. Over the winter all the fluid leaked out because I had not tightened the bolts enough. Better than over tightening though.
No leaks since then in 12 plus months.

svxcess 05-26-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 740444)
I changed the fluid and filter on my '97 and used the gasket which came with the aftermarket filter. Over the winter all the fluid leaked out because I had not tightened the bolts enough. Better than over tightening though.
No leaks since then in 12 plus months.

Did you remove the Fujibond from the pan and/or the transmission case before using the gasket?

svxcess 05-26-2015 09:35 PM

Does anyone have photos or a writeup on the transmission dipstick tube o-ring replacement?

Is it the transmission dipstick tube on the left side of the engine? h ow about the front diff tube?

svxfiles 05-27-2015 02:14 AM

The transmission dipstick tube is on the left/drivers side of the transmission.
It is held into place with teo bolts.
There is a 10mm headed bolt just to the rear of the actual tube,
(vertically installed)
and a 14mm headed bolt supporting the tube (horizontally installed) about half way up the dipstick tube, with the bolt going through the tube support tab, into the transmission, where the bell housing meets the main part of the tranny.
If I were replacing that O-Ring, (SUBARU PART ONLY!!!, like $3.00)
I would disconnect the battery first becaust the tube is so close to the starter.

svxcess 05-27-2015 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The transmission dipstick tube is on the left/drivers side of the transmission.
It is held into place with two bolts.
There is a 10mm headed bolt just to the rear of the actual tube, (vertically installed) and a 14mm headed bolt supporting the tube (horizontally installed) about half way up the dipstick tube, with the bolt going through the tube support tab, into the transmission, where the bell housing meets the main part of the tranny.

If I were replacing that O-Ring, PN 806916010 (SUBARU PART ONLY!!!, like $3.00), I would disconnect the battery first because the tube is so close to the starter.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1432735199

http://opposedforces.com/parts/svx/u...llustration_1/

Blacky 05-27-2015 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=svxcess;740449]Did you remove the Fujibond from the pan and/or the transmission case before using the gasket?
.[/QUOTE

Yes I did.

1986nate 06-01-2015 10:00 PM

I always use a gasket. If the pan seems like it may not seal the greatest, I use a thin layer of RTV between the gasket and pan only. Never have them leak.

SVX92-97 06-03-2015 09:39 AM

Its the dipstick tube O-ring thats leaking:eek:

Austin 06-09-2015 02:23 PM

I've got a 96LSi that got a '98 Forester tranny swap. During the tightening of the pan bolts my nephew used a damned impact gun and overtightened a bolt or two (or twelve) and apparently bent the pan somewhere. Due to other factors I didn't drive the car after the initial test drive, and it has sat idle for a long time and all the ATF has leaked out.

I'm about to get it running again and I'm looking for a pan but can't find one. Can pan lips get straightened out? I've always heard it's hit or miss, but does anyone have any advice?

svxfiles 06-09-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 740629)
I've got a 96LSi that got a '98 Forester tranny swap. During the tightening of the pan bolts my nephew used a damned impact gun and overtightened a bolt or two (or twelve) and apparently bent the pan somewhere. Due to other factors I didn't drive the car after the initial test drive, and it has sat idle for a long time and all the ATF has leaked out.

I'm about to get it running again and I'm looking for a pan but can't find one. Can pan lips get straightened out? I've always heard it's hit or miss, but does anyone have any advice?

Yes the pan can be straightened.
I clamp a 1/2" thick aluminum block in my "work bench" vice,
the aluminum block is about 6" long,
the block is used as an anvil,
hold the pan on top of the anvil,
then use a small hammer to flaten out the dented places.