The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tach not working... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51570)

sicksubie 09-08-2009 09:56 AM

Tach not working...

I started driving the car yesterday and have a two issues.. One: My tach is not working and two: neither blinker works (bulbs are fine)... I traced the wiring back for the blinkers and there appears to be no problem...

SoCal LS-L 09-08-2009 12:32 PM

Re: Tach not working...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 616711)
I started driving the car yesterday and have a two issues.. One: My tach is not working and two: neither blinker works (bulbs are fine)... I traced the wiring back for the blinkers and there appears to be no problem...

From the overly complicated wiring diagrams, I can only decipher to check fuses 1, 15, 27, and 28. One and fifteen are under the dash, 27 and 28 are in the engine bay box.

1 - Very top left

15 - Very bottom left

27, 28 - Left bank of 5 blade fuses, bottom two.

The fuse circuit listings and whats actually shown in the diagrams are pretty incohesive, so I just listed all 4 possibilities I saw. Hope this helps!

SuberNatural 09-08-2009 12:52 PM

Flasher relay?

sicksubie 09-08-2009 06:17 PM

I repainted the engine bay when I repainted the car and am wondering if there is a bad ground to both the tach and the blinkers... I know the positives for the blinkers are good as I have tapped them for the bulbs in my gauge pod....

SoCal LS-L 09-08-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 616779)
I repainted the engine bay when I repainted the car and am wondering if there is a bad ground to both the tach and the blinkers... I know the positives for the blinkers are good as I have tapped them for the bulbs in my gauge pod....

I would think they ground inside the cabin, not the engine bay. You can recheck the block/chassis and battery/chassis grounds, but if those were bad I would suspect there would be a lot more not working. Have you checked the fuses? Especially since you tapped the blinker circuit to run other stuff...

trophy956 09-08-2009 07:06 PM

hi since your tachs signal is created by the ecm and fed through connector b41 /i3 and subaru electricail connectors have been known just to come un done partly or completly with no one touching them ,and since tach and signals go through these connectors id look there, b41 is a 21 pin blue connector located in the lower part or the A pillar ,i hope this helps

SVXRide 09-08-2009 07:58 PM

Bobby,
Did the tach work before you hooked up the Hydra? If "yes", you might what to check the cable for the Hydra to make sure it's seated correctly. I know my tach worked fine when YT hooked in the Hydra on Monday :cool: (oh, yeah, all the way to just shy of 7k rpms and I didn't even have it floored through the gears)
-Bill

sicksubie 09-08-2009 10:32 PM

I dont know as the car was never started except on the hydra...

AUSVX 09-10-2009 01:04 AM

Check your hazards too, they run in series with your indicator stalk. I freaked out when my indicators weren't working because I hadn't connected the "Hazards and Rear defog" loom up to it's connector which runs about 4 or 5 inches underneath your coin holder, inside that piece of trim under the steering wheel.

Have you recently taken out your instrument cluster? If so and you had to force and push it in, then that was mistake. the gauge cluster should be a smooth slide and then when you think it's seated, it's not... you have to push it and hear it click (from memory) and that should line up with your screws to the dash surrounding.

TomsSVX 09-10-2009 05:13 PM

Bobby, the blinkers are likely the timer for them. it is a small rubber covered box under the steering column. I have bumped them when doing 5/6mt swaps in the past and had to replace them...

The tach is likely the wires to the cluster from the ECM. If the car runs it means the crank sensor is good and that is where u get the tach signal... Also might wanna try another cluster to make sure it is good

Tom