The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Door Panel won't come off... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51187)

Mephis 08-05-2009 05:11 PM

Door Panel won't come off...

Taken out the 5 screws and already put some good sized cracks in things trying to pull up and pull it out as noted on the previous threads.(also, I have all the clips pulled free at the bottom)

It's wiggling around but it will NOT come off for nothing.

Can anyone please further explain this process because the previous threads must be missing some step?

Problem solved:
There's 3 screws under the arm rest felt as opposed to just two like the how-tos would have you believe.

Mephis 08-05-2009 05:29 PM

Re: Door Panel won't come off...

It acts like it's hung up some where between where the front screw in the armrest goes, and the door handle.

I'm still yanking around and trying to figure out what on earth is going on....

redlightningsvx 08-05-2009 05:31 PM

You did remove the screw under the handle right?

Mephis 08-05-2009 05:32 PM

Yep... The goldish colored one.

It's moving freely-ish. It's just sort of rotating at the point I mentioned and refuses to break free. All along the edges is free, top and bottom is free, I have the lock down inside the door, and I can rotate it over the door handle but I can't get it to pull off.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm having to do this over at a friend's house where I have some room and I'm just refreshing the page in hopes someone knows of something to try.

redlightningsvx 08-05-2009 05:50 PM

There are some plugs you have to disconnect for the locks and light.

Mephis 08-05-2009 05:52 PM

There's 6 screws... Not 5.

I just pulled the arm rest support clean out of the metal frame of the door. You guys need to fix your write ups.

SoCal LS-L 08-05-2009 05:57 PM

Theres 5 securing the door panel to the door..... I think the 6th screw you're referring to is the one forward of the 2 big ones down in the armrest. It only secures the little plastic piece inside and is not necessary to remove to get the panel off.

Mephis 08-05-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 612590)
Theres 5 securing the door panel to the door..... I think the 6th screw you're referring to is the one forward of the 2 big ones down in the armrest. It only secures the little plastic piece inside and is not necessary to remove to get the panel off.

Maybe people should mention that some where in the write ups before people like me spend 3 hours trying to get the door off only to discover a 6th screw.

Oh well guess if someone does a search now they'll see this thread.

redlightningsvx 08-05-2009 07:26 PM

From someone who has taking there door panels off more than 30 times there is only 5 screws needed to remove the panel.

immortal_suby 08-05-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 612616)
From someone who has taking there door panels off more than 30 times there is only 5 screws needed to remove the panel.

Yep, 5 screws stock. Maybe a previous owner added a screw. The writeup is correct for an unmolested door panel.

the_paynter 08-05-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 612618)
Yep, 5 screws stock. Maybe a previous owner added a screw. The writeup is correct for an unmolested door panel.

x2

had mine off a few days ago, there are definitly only 5 required screws.

Mephis 08-05-2009 09:16 PM

There's places in the molding of the door panel for the 3rd screw in the armrest that looks factory to me.

There's 3 screws under the felt. And nothing anywhere says which 2 are the ones that you have to remove. I assumed the front and the back when it's actually the back and the middle. Who the hell would know this without someone telling them?

redlightningsvx 08-05-2009 09:46 PM

There should be only 2 screws under the felt.

SoCal LS-L 08-05-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 612631)
There should be only 2 screws under the felt.

Theres a 3rd screw, very small, at the very forward part under the felt, but as mentioned, it does not secure the door panel, just the plastic piece.

wyldnwoody44 08-05-2009 10:13 PM

Yep theres 6 total, 3 under the felt, ive had my panels off 3 times this week to do some soldering.