The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   4ws (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4235)

FREESTYLER 05-21-2002 08:04 AM

4ws

1 Attachment(s)
believe it or not, but i have it :confused:
i talked to JamSVX a while back at the yahoo club about this.
i have it, and pic to prove:p
and have not found any trace of another model like this..:rolleyes:
tell me what ya think :confused:

Neill

U know u want my car (got my licence today!!!!!):D

Mr. Pockets 05-21-2002 08:12 AM

Re: 4ws

Quote:

Originally posted by FREESTYLER
believe it or not, but i have it :confused:
i talked to JamSVX a while back at the yahoo club about this.
i have it, and pic to prove:p
and have not found any trace of another model like this..:rolleyes:
tell me what ya think :confused:

Neill

U know u want my car (got my licence today!!!!!):D

I really don't - I'm too attached to mine, thanks.

The picture, if I understand what I'm looking at, only barely shows the AWS hardware on the RR wheel. The steering motor just tugs and pushes on the rear parallel link, right?

Can we see more pictures of the 4WS hardware - and let's see the rest of the car, while you're at it. I, for one, never get sick of looking at SVXs - especially the only 4WS model in the club! :)

Beav 05-21-2002 08:16 AM

Y'all have better eyes or imagination than I do, it just looks like the rear lateral link to me. I guess I need a better pic of whatever the operator is.

Mr. Pockets 05-21-2002 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
Y'all have better eyes or imagination than I do, it just looks like the rear lateral link to me. I guess I need a better pic of whatever the operator is.
Then here ya go. :)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ckets/2887.jpg

What I don't remember is what the rear lateral link attaches to on my non-AWS SVX. But I will probably be looking when I get home. :D

Beav 05-21-2002 08:46 AM

That's still a tough pic to deal with, I guess I'll have to go to the shop now and take a peek at the inner attachment point.

It still seems a waste to me though, that's probably why it wasn't a widespread option. I've driven a but... uh, a bunch of 4ws Preludes and they never showed any advantage other than a slight bit of help when parking. To be a truly kick-butt system you'd lose a great deal of rear seat space to the increased wheel well size. Of course we'd also be talking about adding in rotating upper mounts and lower ball joints. The systems that just nudge against the bushings a couple degrees really seem to be a drastic form of underkill to me. Now if they'd swivel twenty degrees or so it would be great fun, like a 3600 lb., 230 hp bumper car! :D

Mr. Pockets 05-21-2002 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
That's still a tough pic to deal with, I guess I'll have to go to the shop now and take a peek at the inner attachment point.

It still seems a waste to me though, that's probably why it wasn't a widespread option. I've driven a but... uh, a bunch of 4ws Preludes and they never showed any advantage other than a slight bit of help when parking. To be a truly kick-butt system you'd lose a great deal of rear seat space to the increased wheel well size. Of course we'd also be talking about adding in rotating upper mounts and lower ball joints. The systems that just nudge against the bushings a couple degrees really seem to be a drastic form of underkill to me. Now if they'd swivel twenty degrees or so it would be great fun, like a 3600 lb., 230 hp bumper car! :D

I agree, Beav. I haven't driven a 4WS car, but it seems to me that to be worth it, you've really got to implement the feature correctly - all or nothing.

You couldn't force me into buying a GM at gunpoint, but I have to admit that they're new 4WS on the big full-size looks like a good use for that system. I don't know how robust it is off road, but it certainly looks good.

Uncamitzi 05-21-2002 09:37 AM

AWS......

When I replaced my rear lateral links they were solid.... the ones in the picture look like they have adustment in length..... Where did you get that picture?:confused:

Aredubjay 05-21-2002 09:48 AM

I was going to avoid this thread (for obvious reasons :) ) but, I thought that the curious might want to see what the Subaru Owner's Manual had to say about their 4WS system. Thanks to James Dunne (Jamsvx) and Paul (Paddlesnz), we can actually read Subaru's instructions on their 4WS System.

Beav 05-21-2002 03:32 PM

Apologies...

I just realized what I've done and wanted to apologize for stealing the wind from your sails, Freestyler. You have one of the most unique cars in this group.

I looked under mine this afternoon and saw the difference in the rear links. The standard SVX has eccentric cams for toe adjustment but the 4ws version needs the adjustable links due to the design of the system. They incorporated an odd design for the actuator instead of using a more conventional rack and pinion type setup (Subaru - unconventional? ;) )

Boone 05-21-2002 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
I was going to avoid this thread (for obvious reasons :) ) but, I thought that the curious might want to see what the Subaru Owner's Manual had to say about their 4WS system. Thanks to James Dunne (Jamsvx) and Paul (Paddlesnz), we can actually read Subaru's instructions on their 4WS System.
ooooh... "4WS System" is an active link. :eek: :p

1994SubaruSVX 05-21-2002 03:44 PM

that makes your svx.....

the most unique of the group. i know you are happy. can you tell any real difference?

immortal_suby 05-21-2002 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
for comparison - here's the "passive" AWS

1994SubaruSVX 05-21-2002 04:29 PM

nice one immortal

randy will appreciate that. :D

Aredubjay 05-21-2002 04:31 PM

*clamping hands firmly over mouth* :rolleyes:

1994SubaruSVX 05-21-2002 04:34 PM

aww.....come on randy.....

immortal was simply taking you into consideration......;)