The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Knock Sensor Replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23314)

BigBlueSVX 12-18-2004 09:33 PM

Knock Sensor Replacement

I have had a code for one of the knock sensors for quite sometime now, and now that I have time off school I want to take care of replacing them. I found rufus' how-to (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=17952 ) and that should help out some. Does anyone have any other tips that I should know about?

Another thing is where to buy them: subaruparts.com lists them at $49.10 a piece and at 1stsubaruparts.com they are $46.39. Does anyone know where I can get them for cheaper?
Thanks for the advice,
Dennis

SVXer95 12-19-2004 07:42 AM

Re: Knock Sensor Replacement

Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlueSVX
I have had a code for one of the knock sensors for quite sometime now, and now that I have time off school I want to take care of replacing them. I found rufus' how-to (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=17952 ) and that should help out some. Does anyone have any other tips that I should know about?

Another thing is where to buy them: subaruparts.com lists them at $49.10 a piece and at 1stsubaruparts.com they are $46.39. Does anyone know where I can get them for cheaper?
Thanks for the advice,
Dennis

Bump.

I will be doing this in the next few weeks as well.

BigBlueSVX 12-20-2004 12:51 PM

Update

I just bought both sensors from subaruparts.com, along with another ac belt as the one on there right now is already wearing quite a bit (chunks missing) which is kinda odd considering its only been on there 12k miles. I want to get these installed so I can install my stage 1:cool: . Does anyone have pics pointing out the exact location of the sensors? I want to be sure I know where they are.

SVXer95 12-20-2004 01:19 PM

Re: Update

Quote:

I just bought both sensors from subaruparts.com, along with another ac belt as the one on there right now is already wearing quite a bit (chunks missing) which is kinda odd considering its only been on there 12k miles. I want to get these installed so I can install my stage 1:cool: . Does anyone have pics pointing out the exact location of the sensors? I want to be sure I know where they are.
Just ordered mine from 1stsubaruparts today. Lets race to see who gets them first:D :D

I'll let you know when I start the install, maybe we can help each other out.;)

lee 12-20-2004 01:22 PM

procedure

Revised SVX Service Manual Removal And Replacement Procedures For Knock Sensors Number 1 (RH) and Number 2 (LH). This information supersedes the Removal And Replacement Procedures listed in the SVX Service Manuals.

Removal

^ Disconnect negative battery cable
^ Remove both plastic intake manifold covers
^ Remove the alternator

Left Sensor Replacement
1. Disconnect the knock sensor wire connector.
2. Note the orientation of the knock sensor on the engine block and install the new sensor in the same position.
3. Use a 3/8 drive ratchet, 12 inch extension and a 12 mm flex socket to access the knock sensor mounting bolt.
4. Insert the extension and socket assembly through the left side of the hole in the center of the intake manifold, refer to the illustration
below.

Note:
When removing the knock sensor, the wire connector is tight but will pass between the coolant crossover manifold and the engine block.

Right Sensor Replacement
2. Note the orientation of the knock sensor on the engine block and install the new sensor in the same position.
3. Use a 12 mm boxed end wrench to access the knock sensor mounting bolt from the front of the engine.

Installation
^ Install in reverse order of the removal procedures.

Note:
Torque the knock sensor mounting bolt(s) for all applicable models to 17.4 +/- 2.1 ft-lb.

SVXer95 12-20-2004 01:25 PM

Re: procedure

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
Revised SVX Service Manual Removal And Replacement Procedures For Knock Sensors Number 1 (RH) and Number 2 (LH). This information supersedes the Removal And Replacement Procedures listed in the SVX Service Manuals.

Removal

^ Disconnect negative battery cable
^ Remove both plastic intake manifold covers
^ Remove the alternator

Left Sensor Replacement
3. Use a 3/8 drive ratchet, 12 inch extension and a 12 mm flex socket to access the knock sensor mounting bolt.
4. Insert the extension and socket assembly through the left side of the hole in the center of the intake manifold, refer to the illustration
below.

Note:
When removing the knock sensor, the wire connector is tight but will pass between the coolant crossover manifold and the engine block.

Right Sensor Replacement
3. Use a 12 mm boxed end wrench to access the knock sensor mounting bolt from the front of the engine.

Installation
^ Install in reverse order of the removal procedures.

Note:
Torque the knock sensor mounting bolt(s) for all applicable models to 17.4 +/- 2.1 ft-lb.

Thanks Lee! I really need to get some service manuals. I didn't realize they were to that detail!

BigBlueSVX 12-20-2004 03:50 PM

Re: Re: Update

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95

Just ordered mine from 1stsubaruparts today. Lets race to see who gets them first:D :D

I'll let you know when I start the install, maybe we can help each other out.;)

ok its on:D . I got 2-day air shipping, did you? Sounds good, I'll keep you posted on my progress too.

cbx-man 12-20-2004 04:33 PM

When I replaced mine, the most valuable tools I used was one (actually two) of those bolt-retriever-with-claws-on-the-ends doodads. Even with hands smaller than mine (unlikely) it is very time consuming and tight.

immortal_suby 12-20-2004 05:12 PM

Re: Update

Quote:

Does anyone have pics pointing out the exact location of the sensors? I want to be sure I know where they are.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil..._suby/4100.jpg
they are circled in this picture.

SVXer95 12-20-2004 10:11 PM

Ahhh, now I see why everyone says it is such a PITA. Thanks for the pic immortal.

BigBlueSVX 12-22-2004 01:15 PM

The sensors are here! Actually the order didn't get processed until yesterday, because the order didn't go through the first time, but they got here in one day, not bad at all. I'll take pics during the install and post back here when it is all done.

SVXer95 12-22-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

The sensors are here! Actually the order didn't get processed until yesterday, because the order didn't go through the first time, but they got here in one day, not bad at all. I'll take pics during the install and post back here when it is all done.
Looks like I should have gone with subaruparts.com. I will never use 1stsubaru again....

Good Luck!

BigBlueSVX 12-22-2004 10:46 PM

stopped progress

the install is stopped for the night, because one of the bolts holding the alternator to the block is totally stuck and refuses to move (its long and on the upper right of the alternator). As soon as I can loosen it, I'll be close to replacing the sensors.

SVXer95 12-23-2004 08:37 PM

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get the bolt loose. Looks like I won't get my parts until next week.

BigBlueSVX 12-23-2004 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get the bolt loose. Looks like I won't get my parts until next week.
It took some time but I finally broke it loose. I didn't work on it much today but tomorrow I'll have all day to finish it up and I'll post some pics too.