The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guess what I drove to work today? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10697)

Mr. Pockets 05-12-2003 08:28 AM

Guess what I drove to work today?

I'll fill you guys in more thoroughly on the Tech Q&A forum once I have my photos developed and scanned. The short version follows:

Todd shipped me his tranny mount and I received it Thursday. Saturday we drove back down to OH and my father-in-law and I rolled under the SVX again. We finished reassembling the car in very short order - I think it took us under two hours. First starting attempt, the car fired. Exhaust leak. Whoops - forgot the O2 sensors. :D

Anyway, it runs great. No complaints and no problems. This morning on the way to work I got onto the freeway and gently took it to about 105mph. Effortless. Warm, happy feelings. What a car.

Thanks to everybody on this site who helped me with my questions.

Wow, I love this car.

92SvxChick 05-12-2003 08:36 AM

Isn't the 5 speed great!

Megan

Mr. Pockets 05-12-2003 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 92SvxChick
Isn't the 5 speed great!

Megan

I didn't put a five speed in. My auto died and I put in another auto. I'm a purist - I don't want to change anything on the car that I don't have to.

If I ever have a second SVX, I'll put in a five speed.

Aredubjay 05-12-2003 09:35 AM

Congrats, Nick. In the case of the SVX, absence truly makes the heart grow fonder, no? :D

Mr. Pockets 05-12-2003 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Congrats, Nick. In the case of the SVX, absence truly makes the heart grow fonder, no? :D
Well, it certainly made me more anxious to drive it. When we finally took it down off the jackstands I was dancing around like I had to pee.

Heh, on the way home that night (we didn't get on the road until after midnight - difficulties with some simple stuff on the Legacy) I passed a newish Lexus GS. It sped up, got along side and behind me, and then slowed back down again.

Guy in a brand-new Lexus ogling my ten-year-old SVX? Priceless.

LarryIII 05-12-2003 10:08 AM

Congratulations Nick.

Now it's time for the second project.....dropping the Viper V-10 into the Justy. :D :D

mohrds 05-12-2003 10:12 AM

Congratulations Nick!

It is such a joy to be back behind the wheel, isn't it?

Doug

Mr. Pockets 05-12-2003 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Congratulations Nick.

Now it's time for the second project.....dropping the Viper V-10 into the Justy. :D :D

What would I want with that ancient cast-iron pushrod engine?

Ick.

Or is it aluminum? Who cares - I'm holding out on a turbine of some sort. :D

Aredubjay 05-12-2003 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

When we finally took it down off the jackstands I was dancing around like I had to pee.

I'm sure the fact that you really did have to pee had nothing to do with it. :D

benebob 05-12-2003 10:41 AM

Congrats

Congrats Nick! I guess the Justy will be sitting for a while now. Did you get to pee yet or have you been glued to the seat?:D

Mr. Pockets 05-12-2003 12:26 PM

Re: Congrats

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
Congrats Nick! I guess the Justy will be sitting for a while now. Did you get to pee yet or have you been glued to the seat?:D
The Justy will not sit for too long. I only put 3,000 miles on the SVX last year, and I don't want to do many more than that this year. Eventually it'll be less than that.

Another thing to consider is fuel costs. I can drive to work for a week on one tank in either of the cars - but the Justy's tank is half the size and the fuel costs 20-30 cents less a gallon. It once cost me nearly $35 to fill the tank on the SVX - the Justy has never cost me more than $15.

I also enjoy activities that the SVX is not compatible with. Sure, I can fit the bike in the back of the SVX, with the seats down, but what to do about a muddy bike after the ride? ;)

I'll probably drive the SVX to work a couple of times a week, at most, all summer long. But I really want to save this season's mileage for a big road trip Amber and I have planned...and a meet I might organize. ;) Stay tuned.

wawazat?? 05-12-2003 12:54 PM

Glad everything worked out OK with the wire harness and mount!

Todd

Mr. Pockets 05-12-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
Glad everything worked out OK with the wire harness and mount!

Todd

Hey, Todd. Yeah, the mount worked out just fine and the wiring harness was the correct one. When I first got it, I thought the cable was way too short, but it fit perfectly. Go figure, huh? :D

Thanks for your help, and thanks for sending the mount so quickly. I hope your 5-speed is progressing well.

SHISVX 05-12-2003 01:22 PM

a big fat CONGRATS!

Kelli

Chicane 05-12-2003 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

What would I want with that ancient cast-iron pushrod engine?

Ick.

Or is it aluminum? Who cares - I'm holding out on a turbine of some sort. :D

It's all aluminum, and it's anything but ancient. It's torque, power, and powerband is something us H6 owners can only dream about. Don't diss it.

- Rob