The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has your SVX ever left you stranded? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54724)

Nevin 06-02-2010 11:29 AM

Has your SVX ever left you stranded?

So I was driving home the other night, and I just started thinking about this randomly. My car isn't have problems or anything (knock on wood) but I was just curious if anyone has ever been stranded by their SVX.

Once mine wouldn't start, but it was here in town and I have another car anyway. Turned out it was just the coolant temp sensor was bad.

So, I'm curious, if you have been stranded... What happened? What caused it, and what was the fix?

I'd just like to have people get a good idea of what COULD go wrong, so they can prepare themselves better.

shelfy 06-02-2010 11:31 AM

Re: Has your SVX ever left you stranded?

yes, but i was stupid and repaired it anyway.

bwb3 06-02-2010 11:35 AM

Radiator burst, luckily within AAA towing distance. Nothing else that couldn't be delt with at a later time. Knock wood 2.
Gene

K_Dub 06-02-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevin (Post 648973)
So I was driving home the other night, and I just started thinking about this randomly. My car isn't have problems or anything (knock on wood) but I was just curious if anyone has ever been stranded by their SVX.

Once mine wouldn't start, but it was here in town and I have another car anyway. Turned out it was just the coolant temp sensor was bad.

So, I'm curious, if you have been stranded... What happened? What caused it, and what was the fix?

I'd just like to have people get a good idea of what COULD go wrong, so they can prepare themselves better.

I posted this at the time, but mine decided to die on me at a stop light about 9pm on a busy street. I had a bad Neg (-) battery connector that'd been giving me trouble for a couple of days (no start, random stalling, etc). It gave out in traffic, and I had to push it a half block to the nearest parking lot, ugh. The next day I got an Optima Red-Top and new terminal connectors and haven't had a single issue since.

My MAF also gave me a stall in the inside lane of a blind turn on the freeway. It only took a couple of tries to restart, but then I had to get back into traffic with little run-up and no visibility. I got my ECUTune stage 2 the next day, and no more MAF problems.

If it causes a breakdown I won't just put the same part back in as before. I like to have it fixed with certainty that it won't happen again.

sabin 06-02-2010 11:37 AM

once when the charge cables on the alternator fried, i had to make a replacement cable in a pepboys parking lot

2nd time was when my radiator cracked. i had a friend take me to get water then i limped it home and had to wait a few days to get a pwr radiator

dcarrb 06-02-2010 11:41 AM

In 70-some thousand miles I've had a PS/alternator belt inexplicably break, alternator "Christmas lights" times 2, and a dead battery (unrelated to the ALT failures), but I wasn't far afield and got home. Been lucky.

dcb

redlightningsvx 06-02-2010 11:56 AM

2 weeks ago alternator died on the middle of the highway.

kwren 06-02-2010 02:09 PM

Define "ever left you stranded":confused: Stranded could be in your driveway when you need to go somewhere.
My AAA membership is limited to 150 miles which is always a consideration when I plan a trip... so my answer would be "no".:D

Keith:cool: (knocking on wood)

tiv0 06-02-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 648979)
2 weeks ago alternator died on the middle of the highway.

This happened with me a few weeks ago as well, about 1am on the interstate. Didn't want to leave the car on the shoulder so I had a friend come jump me. Had him follow me because, sure enough, the battery died again just as I was rolling down the off-ramp. One more jump and I made it home to the driveway.

Freeman 06-02-2010 02:32 PM

Once when I first got it, the power steering belt snapped, then again, and again, and again but luckily I called Tom and he walked me through how to fix it each time.

Then, I had a problem where the car overheated and would NOT move. Aparently when my father gave me the car, he never ever put oil in it. Tom came and fixed my problem but I was stuck in the middle of the road for a while.

Then, I had a problem with a coilpack and got stranded but Tom fixed it by moving coil to coil till it was right.

Jesus, hope it stops there.

Green1995SVX 06-02-2010 03:09 PM

Not yet. 321

Sean486 06-02-2010 03:59 PM

I once drove 100 miles home on a destroyed transmission.

Crazy_pilot 06-02-2010 04:34 PM

Not really stranded. My alternator semi-died and I didn't feel confident taking the SVX, so I rode the bike that day.

Once on the highway the car overheated. The thermostat cover had corroded badly and was leaking around the hose, and I'm guessing the coolant ran too low. shut down and coasted to a stop, filled the engine with several bottles of water and some water out of a ditch filtered through a microfiber towel. Started it up, burped the system, and drove the remaining 13 hours of my trip without incident.

STeeL25T 06-02-2010 10:07 PM

My power steering belt also snapped on me in my 96 car, dash lit up like a christmas tree. Like he said, easy fix though.

icingdeath88 06-02-2010 10:28 PM

Battery died a couple times right when I got it, replaced battery. (Batteries have a pretty short life in Florida, I believe due to the heat and humidity.)

The closest I've been to stranded was when the power steering crapped out and started gushing fluid all over the place. However, it happened around the corner from my complex, so I made it back to the garage ok. Trail of p/s fluid was visible for a few weeks, lol. Car was down for almost a week, during which I was luckily out of town for most of.