The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Couple of Things (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43500)

IceBlade 02-28-2008 06:14 PM

Couple of Things

Alright well first off my transmission rarely shifts into 4th. I have a '94 FWD. Not sure which model.. I think it's the L model. Does this mean my tranny's dying? Anyone had this problem before? I checked the tranny fluid and it's at full and seems to be okay. My uncle said he had some sort of pump thing and would come over to pump out the tranny fluid and put new fluid in, saving me the necessity of having to replace the gasket although I don't know what means exactly and I've heard replacing the transmission fluid can accelerate a failure.

Secondly I've noticed sometimes when taking off from a stop sign my stereo will cut out for a split second and I was wondering what could be causing this. I've got a 10" MTX TC510 Sub hooked up to a crappy amp which I don't remember the specs for and my speakers are MTX Thunder Axe (TX6001) which came with tweeters. The deck is a Pioneer DEH-P4900IB which the speakers are connected directly to. No capacitor.

Crazy_pilot 02-28-2008 06:28 PM

For the transmission question, how long are your drives? If Montreal's weather is anything like Ottawa's, it's pretty cold. If the trans fluid isn't given long enough to warm up the torque converter won't lock, and you won't see the super low 4th gear RPM's.

Ownbot 02-28-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlade (Post 531418)
Alright well first off my transmission rarely shifts into 4th. I have a '94 FWD. Not sure which model.. I think it's the L model. Does this mean my tranny's dying? Anyone had this problem before? I checked the tranny fluid and it's at full and seems to be okay. My uncle said he had some sort of pump thing and would come over to pump out the tranny fluid and put new fluid in, saving me the necessity of having to replace the gasket although I don't know what means exactly and I've heard replacing the transmission fluid can accelerate a failure.

Secondly I've noticed sometimes when taking off from a stop sign my stereo will cut out for a split second and I was wondering what could be causing this. I've got a 10" MTX TC510 Sub hooked up to a crappy amp which I don't remember the specs for and my speakers are MTX Thunder Axe (TX6001) which came with tweeters. The deck is a Pioneer DEH-P4900IB which the speakers are connected directly to. No capacitor.

What cuts out? The in dash or a amp? I bet its the crappy amp because it has a crappy power supply or maybe your voltage is dropping to much. How many watts RMS and what gauge wire you have running to it? Or maybe the amps using to much current from the turn on lead and taking down the in dash. (In that case use a relay) We need more info please.

IceBlade 02-28-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 531424)
For the transmission question, how long are your drives? If Montreal's weather is anything like Ottawa's, it's pretty cold. If the trans fluid isn't given long enough to warm up the torque converter won't lock, and you won't see the super low 4th gear RPM's.

15 minutes to school or work and 15 minutes back are the longest drives of the day usually. I guess it's not much time to warm up eh? And yeah it's bloody freezing here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ownbot (Post 531430)
What cuts out? The in dash or a amp? I bet its the crappy amp because it has a crappy power supply or maybe your voltage is dropping to much. How many watts RMS and what gauge wire you have running to it? Or maybe the amps using to much current from the turn on lead and taking down the in dash. (In that case use a relay) We need more info please.

Umm this is the kit I bought here I don't know what the other stuff you said means lol.

TomsSVX 02-28-2008 11:33 PM

amps and subs... when hearing the music just isn't enough... you need to feel it, from 600 yards away.

Tom

IceBlade 02-28-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 531489)
amps and subs... when hearing the music just isn't enough... you need to feel it, from 600 yards away.

Tom

Damned right :D

IceBlade 02-29-2008 09:34 AM

How often should the transmission fluid be changed?

Crazy_pilot 02-29-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlade (Post 531484)
15 minutes to school or work and 15 minutes back are the longest drives of the day usually. I guess it's not much time to warm up eh? And yeah it's bloody freezing here.

Ya, your trans fluid just isn't getting fully warmed up. Get it out on the highway for a while and it'll go into fourth just like it should. It's supposed to get warmer here. I've just about had enough of winter. I've got one more day on the snow track tomorrow, and then it can all melt.:lol:

IceBlade 02-29-2008 06:04 PM

Well that's relieving to know. I bought some stuff that says it lubricates and cleans valves, lifters and automatic transmissions so I'm going to put that in there just in case. I'm into snowboarding and all but I want summer to come now haha. Wakeboarding is a fun replacement :D