The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How high is too high? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34657)

Beav 08-08-2006 06:42 PM

How high is too high?

Just read a poll in the Louisville Courier-Journal. I'm curious how it plays out vs. the rest of the world, or at least here... ;)

How high is too high?

At what point will the price per gallon of gas cause you to change your driving habits?

It already has 70.1%

3.50 9.0%

4.00 7.5%

4.50 0.0%

5.00 9.0%

The price of gas does not concern me 4.5%

(Louisville, KY responses)

Speedklix 08-08-2006 08:19 PM

The place on the corner just ran out due to people anticipating the gas hike!!!

1320boy 08-08-2006 08:22 PM

The price of gas does not concern me, I love driving my car, and i will never stop driving it unless (knock on wood) something happens to her.
but i even find excuses to drive it. I love the reactions i get:D especialy from The Lady's:cool:

SVXyGirl 08-08-2006 09:22 PM

Lately I've been borrowing my friends Toyota Echo. I'll use up his gas. ;) :D Plus it gets better gas mileage than the SVX.

NapaBavarian 08-08-2006 09:40 PM

I drive that darn diesel all the time, but just driving between my house and town in a typical month I would spend $400+, I pulled a 1990 VW GTI out of the barn and hope to have it on the road in a week or two, I'm in the market for another SVX now that I have a garage, or maby I can fix the one I have, but I dayum skippy intend to get that diesel on the veggie oil by the turn of the year!

NikFu S. 08-08-2006 09:45 PM

$5. I don't drive enough for gas prices to matter much, but there is a point where it becomes insanity.

gtdanielgt 08-08-2006 09:57 PM

When it goes to $4 a gallon I will go buy a bicycle and put together an 80CC kit on it.. Presto! $350 dollar gas saver :D :D

ensteele 08-08-2006 10:26 PM

It has changed the amount that I drive already, but when it hits closer to $4.00 per gallon, I will really start to slow down. I still have to drive to work, but I will really think before I drive somewhere. :(

SubaRyu 08-09-2006 12:32 AM

Seems like my '96 has worse mpg than my old '92. Any reason?
I'm already thinking about taking buses and trains to work...but I can't live without driving SVX every day.

SSSVX 08-09-2006 01:45 AM

I voted for $3.50 but it's already too high since I drive a lot of miles...

I probably bought about 150 gallons(80% of regular 87..) of gas every month...so each 10 cents up is like a $15 dollars increased every month... :rolleyes:

b3lha 08-09-2006 02:47 AM

I would love to buy petrol at any of those prices. It's 1 pound a litre here at the moment, that's US$7.22 a gallon. :(

The unfortunate truth is that in the modern world, the majority of people need to use cars in order to conduct their daily business and they are forced to pay whatever extortionate price the oil companies/governments charge for it.

Noir 08-09-2006 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha
I would love to buy petrol at any of those prices. It's 1 pound a litre here at the moment, that's US$7.22 a gallon. :(

The unfortunate truth is that in the modern world, the majority of people need to use cars in order to conduct their daily business and they are forced to pay whatever extortionate price the oil companies/governments charge for it.

very true and very unfortunate. :(

when the price approaches $5/gallon (which i think will occur), my svx will become the garage queen and i'll find another mode of transportation.

i draw the line at $75/tank and i fill up every 4-5 days. :(

Noir 08-09-2006 03:06 AM

http://www.rqriley.com/doran.html

:) here's a cheap subaru to use for a beater. ;)

Noir 08-09-2006 03:26 AM

of course, i'd love to buy a T-Rex and use it as a beater...it's a crying shame that atlanta's a city of suv's. :(

dcarrb 08-09-2006 06:08 AM

Last year a neighbor tried to give me an old power mower, figuring (I suppose) that's he'd be doing me the grand favor of replacing my manual push-reel type. Not that the splash of gas I save makes much of a difference, but if we all could cut back by just a gallon per week, man, that's an ocean of gasoline saved. America needs a partiotic theme around which to rally, something like, Less Gas, More Muscle (rather than the prevailing "Mine's Bigger Than Yours").

It's really not hard to cut back a bit: Don't make special trips for something that can wait, stop by the market on the way home from work rather than going out later, that sort of thing. Painless. I see people hop into their vehicles and head out three, four and five times per day, and wonder what the heck they're doing that they couldn't consolidate trips. And they ***** about the price of gas.

Then there's the guy (you all know him) I saw in the supermarket parking lot the other day, idling his Explorer, yammering on the phone. He was still there when I returned to my car ten minutes later. Sheesh, I forgot to leave mine running...

As to driving an SVX, the economic reality is, I can buy mucho gasoline with the hundreds of dollars per month I'm not spending on a car payment. Wish I could make such decisions based solely on principle, rather than practicality, but it makes no economic sense right now for me to buy a new Prius. And honestly, the 21+ MPG I average in routine knocking around ain't too bad, given the car's size,comfort, and performance.

Nothing will lower the price but reduced demand and surplus inventory.

dcb