The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I need a new position for the Front license plate? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25298)

svx_commuter 03-30-2005 10:40 AM

I need a new position for the Front license plate?

Is there any law that says the front license plate has to be in the middle of the car? Is there any height requirements for the license plate? I was thinking about moving the plate over to the driver side away form the air slots. I keep thinking it's not great to have the plate blocking the air flow to the engine compartment.

How do you think this would look?

Electrophil 03-30-2005 11:00 AM

Now "this" is an excellent question. It would also improve the AC efficiency at the same time, and maybe save a gallon of gas every so often. Anybody out there with a little legal knowledge?

Hocrest 03-30-2005 11:20 AM

Move about 50 miles west.... :D :D

Seraph 03-30-2005 03:07 PM

Do a search. I've seen a guy in Japan that moved his plates to the side.

Sidewinder 03-30-2005 03:50 PM

Probably varies state by state, but if it's displayed on the front and visable, isn't that good enough?

And only buddy of mine had a 80's style Mercury Cougar with ground effects on it. Anyway, he displayed the plate behind the ground effects so only the letters and numbers were visable. When riding in a car, you could see them, fairly clearly, but the entire plate wasn't displayed. He never got into trouble for that... Sure looked good though. :)

thundering02 03-30-2005 04:45 PM

Some cops are real ignorant and state that you have to have a plate mounted....95% of them say that it just have to be in front somewhere...Mines in the front window. Ive never see a plate violation for not having it on the front bumber fly in court(its up front Its good)

jjcobra 03-30-2005 04:46 PM

Definitly depends on your location, and if your state requires you to even use a plate in the front. Technically you could leave it on the dash facing out front if it's legal. I personally would prefer to place it on a corner of my front fender.

Eric's97 03-30-2005 08:12 PM

As far as I know, the plate could be mounted anywere along the front bumper. I mean some minivans have a side mounted plate. If you have it in your front window, some cops may give you a hard time about it. But i personly know a cop who says its not really a big deal to most and he personly dosnt have front plates on his cars. But some really will mind the plate thing.

Seraph 03-30-2005 11:58 PM

You get tickets in Chicago. After 3 or so tickets, you get impounded.

BordeauxComet 03-31-2005 12:24 AM

side-mounted

1 Attachment(s)
Mine's side mounted (pass. side). You can kinda see it in my avatar. I was going to modify the license plate holder of fit nice on the side but I was too lazy.

Here's another example on a jdm svx:

mikecg 03-31-2005 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Is there any law that says the front license plate has to be in the middle of the car? Is there any height requirements for the license plate? I was thinking about moving the plate over to the driver side away form the air slots. I keep thinking it's not great to have the plate blocking the air flow to the engine compartment.

How do you think this would look?

Off hand I'd say no. I seem to remember the older Cavaliers have it mounted on the passenger side of the car.

dcarrb 03-31-2005 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecg
Off hand I'd say no. I seem to remember the older Cavaliers have it mounted on the passenger side of the car.

Yeah, I've seen cars with the factory mount off-center. That said, I suppose the possibility exists that the law in certain states may prohibit locating the plate anyplace except on the factory mount. Maybe you should consult your nearest state highway patrol office.

dcb

svx_commuter 03-31-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Move about 50 miles west.... :D :D

Yeah that would work too and it's only about 20 miles. LOL

svx_commuter 03-31-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BordeauxComet
Mine's side mounted (pass. side). You can kinda see it in my avatar. I was going to modify the license plate holder of fit nice on the side but I was too lazy.

Here's another example on a jdm svx:

Do you have any pictures of your car? Maybe in the locker? Do we have lockers?

svx_commuter 03-31-2005 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecg

Thanks Mike :)