The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   drove the 04 pontiac gto today.... wow (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17584)

cargamer03 03-30-2004 06:12 PM

drove the 04 pontiac gto today.... wow

so today at work( I work at a dealer body shop) we got a red gto that had gotten scratched off the truck. when it came in everyone was like omg and lets drive it around. we all got our turn and wow that car has some giddy up. i was very impressed with the traction control and even more impressed with it off. made my heart race when i got into her. any way just wanted to let you guys know, i would recomend a test drive to anyone who liked the Ls-1 engine they have done a great job with it. in my opinion the blue is the best color but i cant be picky. try one out some time. its a blast.
jon

Bwana 03-30-2004 09:21 PM

Was it a personal car, or was it from a dealer? What are they gonna say when there's 50 more miles on it when they get it back? :confused: :eek:

I saw my first GTO about a month ago, definately a cool car. That's still the only one i've seen...maybe I can get my Dad to go look at one.:cool:

Shadow248 03-30-2004 10:13 PM

Definetly a sweet ride. Most notably the handling is superb now in addition to the power. Only problem in my mind is it doesn't have the bad boy feel all the T/As and camaro's did.

Timbo 03-31-2004 06:30 AM

C'mon Yanks, we drive these things all day every day. It's an Aussie-built GM Holden coupe with a couple of changes to suit you guys. We race 'em in a V8 Supercar series mostly against Ford GT Falcons (yep, we still got them too !) and they push out some serious mumbo and handle too.

Just wait til you see the 4WD version of the Coupe (6.0 secs to 62 mph on loose dirt or wet road!). You can view the whole range at www.hsv.com.au .

Go buy 'em, we need the revenue !!!

GreenMarine 03-31-2004 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Timbo
C'mon Yanks, we drive these things all day every day. It's an Aussie-built GM Holden coupe with a couple of changes to suit you guys. We race 'em in a V8 Supercar series mostly against Ford GT Falcons (yep, we still got them too !) and they push out some serious mumbo and handle too.

Just wait til you see the 4WD version of the Coupe (6.0 secs to 62 mph on loose dirt or wet road!). You can view the whole range at www.hsv.com.au .

Hahaha That's awesome!!! How's it going mate?? I'm an aussie stuck in America at the moment. I love it that another Aussie is telling it like it should be told... I tell everyone that they are Australian cars, and everyone that I talk to says that I am full of crap... "A pontiac is an american car"... Whatever man... :rolleyes:

GreenMarine 03-31-2004 09:03 AM

Just checked out the AWD wagon... Man that is cool!!! The last time that I was there in Australia Holden was trying to build it still... I didn't know they really did build it!!! Awesome!!! :D:D:cool:

Shadow248 03-31-2004 08:27 PM

I thought everyone knew this, but the GTO is in fact built in Australia...the start of production of the 2007 Camaro should bring the production to US soil. Both GTO and Camaro will be same platform, much like the Camaro and T/A were. Happy days.

Breck SVX 03-31-2004 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Timbo

Watched a few of those V8 supercar series races on speedvision/speed channel, it seems like its just those two cars, the ford and the holdens, is there anything else in that series? Its pretty crazy the amount of front camber they run on those cars...i dont think i've seen any series that runs as much front camber.

-Alex

WestCoastSVX 04-01-2004 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow248
I thought everyone knew this, but the GTO is in fact built in Australia...the start of production of the 2007 Camaro should bring the production to US soil. Both GTO and Camaro will be same platform, much like the Camaro and T/A were. Happy days.
They are already coming out with another Camaro? So it's going to be more of 2 door sedan type coupe than what it and the T/A used to be? :(

Bwana 04-01-2004 12:23 PM

Just saw a yellow GTO today. freakin :cool:

cargamer03 04-01-2004 12:41 PM

ya the car was fresh off the truck and we only added 4 miles onto it so its not a big deal. it was just cool to finally see one since they kept delaying the release date. man they must have had something funny to change to get them to be drivable in the US. that would be sweet to see an all wheel drive gto. seems like everyone is going to an awd platform. good thing we got a head start on them with our svx's:)
jon

Landshark 04-01-2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cargamer03
man they must have had something funny to change to get them to be drivable in the US.
jon

they moved the gas tank in the GTO so it wouldn't explode in a collision. i guess GM doesn't care if the Aussies die in a fiery wreck? :confused:

Shadow248 04-01-2004 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGyver

They are already coming out with another Camaro? So it's going to be more of 2 door sedan type coupe than what it and the T/A used to be? :(

The 2007 Camaro/GTO platform will use the LS-2 V8 that is currently in the Vette. There is still alot to be finalized about these cars. There are several different design ideas for both. The only thing that they really said officially in addition to what I already said was that the 2007 GTO will likely be radically different than the current one. Concept pics show the current design direction being a much lower, wider car, much like the 5th gen camaros were. We'll just have to wait and see i guess.

oab_au 04-01-2004 06:31 PM

Another great Ozzi product.

Along with Ron's wine cask.

The AWD version is for Aust. only. It uses a Subaru VTD. on the back of the box. Unfortunatly the front drive shaft, runs down the LHS of the engine to the front diff. So it can't have the steering on that side.

Harvey.;)

WestCoastSVX 04-01-2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow248

The 2007 Camaro/GTO platform will use the LS-2 V8 that is currently in the Vette. There is still alot to be finalized about these cars. There are several different design ideas for both. The only thing that they really said officially in addition to what I already said was that the 2007 GTO will likely be radically different than the current one. Concept pics show the current design direction being a much lower, wider car, much like the 5th gen camaros were. We'll just have to wait and see i guess.

Hmmm Sounds promising. Like you said, we'll have to see. :)