The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bad power steering pump? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59709)

Mr. Pockets 04-23-2012 04:13 PM

Bad power steering pump?

So, now that the car is running again, I get to find out all the things that I couldn't when it wasn't. The power steering pump makes a horrible whining/grinding noise when I first start the car and when I turn the steering wheel. The assistance feels...chunky, not smooth.

I assume I need a new pump. Being an LS-L, my car has the speed-sensitive assistance. Do I need to be concerned when I go to Advance and buy their cheapest remanufactured pump? Honestly, I have no idea how that variable assistance works, but I assume the pump itself has nothing to do with it.

92snowmachine 04-23-2012 04:36 PM

Re: Bad power steering pump?

check the o-ring under the reservoir first. a lot more likely then the pump itself. probably have aerated fluid. i'm not certain but i believe the speed sensitive vs. engine speed sensitive is in the rack.

Mr. Pockets 04-23-2012 05:00 PM

You know what? Three states and many years ago I replaced that very o-ring. I'll try that tonight for grins, but I don't have a ton of confidence it will work. When I put my stethoscope to the pump, I hear an awful racket.

Thanks for reminding me, though. :)

Mr. Pockets 04-23-2012 07:35 PM

Okay, I put a new o-ring in. Hooray for the Harbor Freight giant box o' o-rings!

That did quiet the pump right the hell down. I could even see once I took the reservoir off that it had been leaking. So I can now chalk that up on my list of stuff that I've owned the car long enough to have done twice!

The steering, however, still feels...chunky. If I suddenly turn the wheel left and right, there's a hesitation before it will turn left. It's...I don't know, man...chunky.

Some of the 'funny feeling' is from on-center. I wonder how much of the stuff I'm feeling is just from the rack sitting in one position for so long. I also wonder if I need a new rack or just need to rebuild the one I have somehow.

Has anybody else experienced this sticky or chunky steering?

Conn SVX 04-23-2012 07:40 PM

I had a slipping belt. I never heard it squeal but I replaced it and it became smooth.

Stevebsy 04-23-2012 07:49 PM

Another possibility is that your crank pulley is separating. Mark a line between the outer ring, through the rubber, and to the inner part. Then do some power steering testing and shut it off and see if your line is still in one piece.

Blacky 04-23-2012 07:50 PM

You could also try lubricating the 2 u-joints on the steering shaft. They're on the shaft running from the steering wheel to the rack just where the shaft starts to go out of sight under the engine on the drivers side.
This worked on my '92 and my daughters Outback.

Mr. Pockets 04-23-2012 08:13 PM

I don't think it's the crank pulley. I had it off when I did the water pump and timing belt and...everything else a couple weeks ago and it looked like it was in pretty good shape. Still, I'll take a look.

I also don't think it's the belt slipping, though it's possible. I replaced the belts when I did the aforementioned work, but they're cheap and I might not have tightened the belt enough. If anything, though, I think the belt is a little too tight. I could try some belt dressing briefly and see if that helps. That would tell me.

I've never lubricated a u-joint. What do I need to do? Just smear some grease in there? Are there grease fittings?

Thanks for the responses. I'll check each one.

Blacky 04-24-2012 04:49 AM

There are no grease fittings on the u-joints. I sprayed the heck out of them with WD-40 to penetrate into the joint and followed up with a spray of lithium grease a few days later.

dcarrb 04-24-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets (Post 702815)
Do I need to be concerned when I go to Advance and buy their cheapest remanufactured pump? Honestly, I have no idea how that variable assistance works, but I assume the pump itself has nothing to do with it.

Don't know about the variable-assist as it relates to the pump, but when I had a rack replaced some years ago, the (on-line) vendor made quite a point of letting me know that I must reuse the electronic variable assist solenoid-doodad from the old rack; they even enclosed a handwritten "Dear Mechanic" note in this regard. I got the impression the the pumps were all the same.

I bought a cheap reman pump for the other car and haven't been entirely satisfied. First it whined. Got quieter with time but now I'm noticing a low-speed clunkiness as you describe. Someone here rebuilds PS pumps (or used to), but I don't recall his handle.

dcb

huck369 04-24-2012 08:08 AM

Could just still have air in the system....jack the front end up in the air, start the car, and turn the steering wheel "lock to lock" a few time to clear any remaining air from the system.

1986nate 04-24-2012 05:20 PM

If you need a rebuilt pump, check with Eric (somethingelse) as he was rebuilding them with genuine subaru seals. Not sure if he's still doing it since he moved though.