The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HELP! Catalytic Converter falling apart (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13232)

Yoda3000 09-16-2003 06:47 PM

HELP! Catalytic Converter falling apart

Help Me! My car makes a grinding sound when I accellerate and the shop tells me my catalytic converter is falling apart! I have spent tons on repairs lately and can't afford any more. Can I fix this problem myself? How? How much would a new or used one caost and could I install it myself? Please comment.

jeradsvx 09-16-2003 07:30 PM

does it sound like metal grinding cause that might be your resonator. and that you would need to take out. but that should be a lot cheaper.

hope that helps

svx_commuter 09-17-2003 06:38 AM

If it's just a piece of metal coming off the CAT or Resonator you may be able to fix it with some wire. Stainless steel wire is best.

What you say does not make a lot of sense to me. The exhaust system runs on the bottom of the car. Above the exhaust pipe, and rear CAT and resonator is a HEAT SHIELD. Above the heat shield is the drive shaft. In all likelyhood it is the heat shield that's hitting the drive shaft. The heat shield is very flexable and can be bent. The drive shaft bearing may also be coming loose. This could be similar to the problem I had. Check out this thread.

Yoda3000 09-17-2003 08:01 PM

Thanks. I'll check the heat sheild. The place that rebuilt my trannie were the ones that said the cat was falling apart. Upon further examination, the sound might be coming from farther back than the cat. Also, it only makes the noise at 1500 rpm and 3-4000.

I had the exact experience svx_commuter described in his forum; turned out to be trannie fluid leaking into front diff. Old trannie had to be rebuilt.

Once again thanks and I'll check fro rubbing heat sheilds. I will write back if i can't find anything.

Yoda3000 09-21-2003 12:21 AM

Location of Origination Discovered

OK, I put my car up on ramps and found out wherre the sound is coming from. It's Between the Catalytic converter and the Muffler in something that looks like a Cat but smaller. On this attatched Chilton's picture it's part number 33.

Anyone know what this is or what it's for? Do you think I could just cut it out and put in a piece of pipe instead?

Yoda3000 09-21-2003 12:22 AM

Location of Origination Discovered

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I put my car up on ramps and found out wherre the sound is coming from. Not any driveshaft, it makes the sound in neutral but not as loud.

It's in a thing Between the Catalytic converter and the Muffler in something that looks like a Cat but smaller. On this attatched Chilton's picture it's part number 33.

Anyone know what this is or what it's for? Do you think I could just cut it out and put in a piece of pipe instead?

jeradsvx 09-21-2003 01:01 PM

yeah, from what it looks like it the resenator, i cut mine out and put a straight pipe instead. doesnt change the sound that much at all, maybe a tiny bit louder, but hardly noticable.
hope it helps
jerad

Yoda3000 09-23-2003 07:35 PM

Isn't the resomator up front?

This is either a secondary cat or muffler. It's getting louder though.

Anyone else have this problem?

jeradsvx 09-24-2003 01:33 PM

part 33:
that is the resenator, it sits between the muffler and the last cat.

RMaltzen 09-25-2003 11:38 PM

I also had this exact same problem. However you have already had the proper advice laid before you. Have a nice muffler shop cut out the resonator and just throw in a straight pipe. I've seen it posted a few times before, so it seems to be a popular fix. And it works very well.

Ding N' Prayer 10-07-2003 07:37 PM

exhaust

I recently had my exhaust expert put in a straight 4" diam. muffler in place of the original resonator. Car is whisper quiet(unless you get on it). This repair cost me $60. BTW I have a brand new cat. with the hardware. I paid $350 for it , if any body wants it make me a reasonable offer and I'll ship asap (Afetr payment of course)
;)