The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Green liquid on the floor BAAAAAAAD (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26604)

Namaah 06-04-2005 08:28 PM

Green liquid on the floor BAAAAAAAD

This morning i was kicking my self in the ass for not having enough money for the group rad buy. Found a nice size puddle under, im so depressed. So much for my OT for memorial day. Gonna order me a PWR on mon and hope it comes in quick... sigh... :(

ensteele 06-04-2005 08:35 PM

Is it the radiator, or is it a leaking hose, or a leaking water pump? :confused:

Namaah 06-04-2005 08:44 PM

from the looks of it, its the rad. Fluid pooling bout center of the heatshield or what ever its called... It isnt horrible to the point of the rad being completely drained but i have yet to time how long it will take as i found out this morning and added some more fluid/water when the mechnic looked at it... when i checked it bout 30 min ago the rad was still filled to the top but the res looks pretty low, i need to get a look at it again.

thundering02 06-04-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namaah
This morning i was kicking my self in the ass for not having enough money for the group rad buy. Found a nice size puddle under, im so depressed. So much for my OT for memorial day. Gonna order me a PWR on mon and hope it comes in quick... sigh... :(

Yeah mies got a crack in it too along the top..... What te going rate for the radiator anyways?

Namaah 06-04-2005 09:16 PM

subaruparts has an oem for 355 or something like that and the pwr from what ive read on the site is 600. but the people lucky enough to get them off the group buy got them for 4and change.

TomsSVX 06-04-2005 10:56 PM

I know someone with an OEM rad if u want. The guy John that was at the meet on thursday. I can give his info if u need it

Tom

ensteele 06-04-2005 11:22 PM

Quote:

... but the people lucky enough to get them off the group buy got them for 4and change.

Lucky ? :rolleyes: We planned ahead knowing that our radiators would bite the big one some day and need one then. :eek: :rolleyes: :) :)

Namaah 06-05-2005 08:10 AM

Tom thats great its just a matter of how the rad is going to get here cause i highly doubt i can drive back down. if you can box it and UPS it would be awesome. just let me know how much shipping is and all that, how much he wants for the rad.

benebob 06-05-2005 08:30 AM

Quote:

subaruparts has an oem for 355 or something like that and the pwr from what ive read on the site is 600. but the people lucky enough to get them off the group buy got them for 4and change.

Liberty Subaru in NJ, $280 and they charge actual shipping, no sales tax unless your in NJ. Won't find a cheaper deal than that plus Russ is GREAT TO DEAL WITH. Call them 1800-suby4wd not email. They ship usually next day provided they can get it from the warehouse but they do stock a ton of SVX parts. I get parts faster from them through the mail than I do from LCM picking it up!

TomsSVX 06-05-2005 09:01 AM

I will call him tonight and see if I can get over to his place.

Tom

Namaah 06-05-2005 07:27 PM

Ok im confused as ALL HELL... as i said earlier yesterday morning i went to my car and found a pretty big puddle of coolant on the floor under the car along with seeing coolant under the hood and i could see no liquid on top of the cooling fins under the cap. Parked in 3 different spots on sat 2 before going to the mechnic and one after. all 3 had fluid... i go to the mechnic to see fluid still on the heatshield thingy (yeah i know technical name).
NOW today i drive from my girlfriends about 45min drive doing 50-60 the whole why (partly out of choice and traffic) and the temp guage doesnt rise (thankfully) and when i park at home no puddle... i go to work, check the cap like 3 hours later no change in fluid level no puddle under im confused as all hell.

TomsSVX 06-05-2005 08:10 PM

um... dude.... Do u even have a crack in ur rad? I dunno what could have happened but if it has stopped don't worry bout it just keep an eye on things

Tom

kuoh 06-05-2005 09:04 PM

What heat shield thingy? Do you mean the plastic undercover below the front end? If you have a leaking hose or pump, all the fluid will still pool at the center since it's the lowest point. Things may not be as bad as you think, especially if you've never replaced the water pump, as they do rust through over time and you can get an intermittent slow dribble going. If you only have a minor leak, then you should be checking the level of the coolant in the overflow reservoir. The radiator won't necessarily show a drop in level until the reservior is empty.

Don't take the temperature gauge as an indicator of whether you're low on coolant or not. I ignored the slow leak in my water pump until the coolant level got so low I wasn't getting heat in the middle of winter, and only then did the needle start to rise and fall as the coolant intermittently flowed. Luckily, I caught it before any serious damage occurred.

KuoH

Quote:

i go to the mechnic to see fluid still on the heatshield thingy (yeah i know technical name).
NOW today i drive from my girlfriends about 45min drive doing 50-60 the whole why (partly out of choice and traffic) and the temp guage doesnt rise (thankfully) and when i park at home no puddle... i go to work, check the cap like 3 hours later no change in fluid level no puddle under im confused as all hell.

Namaah 06-05-2005 11:08 PM

i DONT see a crack in any seams or hoses, all i saw was a nice ass puddle of coolant. and yes it was the plastic undercover i just didnt know what it was called... im going to watch it during the week. and first thing friday morning im going to drop it off cause i have no way of getting under it to look and see for my self... its annoying yes i know... im i know im parinoid and my mechnical knowlege isnt excessive. i dont know im frustrated

Matthewmongan 06-06-2005 12:55 AM

the plastic thing is called a 'splash guard', i heard about it on car talk last weekend.

*''' THE MORE YOU KNOW :p