The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   69 Charger link 2010 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54846)

subi-crosser 06-17-2010 09:01 PM

69 Charger link 2010

I am going to SAVE the life of a 69 Charger, starting last saturday. We picked it up and hauled it to the 'New and Improoooved' Farm.
I put the best frame paint I have ever met on the new parts tuesday night, bought the sand blasting medium today and will be attacking this car with a vengance on friday night!

LINKEE!!! http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...roject%202010/
I had 122 'views' on these 6 pics in 48 HOURS!! I have not yet begun the fight to save her. I will be posting more pics on Sunday.

If I can save THIS one, NOTHING is beyond help!

Blacky 06-17-2010 09:08 PM

Re: 69 Charger link 2010

Wow! That's a real Flintstone mobile. The exterior looks not as bad though.
I had a down payment on a '69 440 RT back in about '79. Original paint and almost zero rust for $1,200.00. I couldn't raise the cash and had to let it go.

Good luck with it.:cool:

SilverSpear 06-18-2010 02:48 AM

Oh....Oh.... Jerry! I envy you now... :drool:

sicksubie 06-18-2010 06:31 AM

I might have to talk to you this fall at the pumpkin carve meet. I would love to try to pick up either a Charger or a GTO next summer as my next project...

michael 06-18-2010 06:39 PM

I've seen alot worse than that come back from the dead. I looked at one a few summers ago up here in the rust belt that looked like swiss cheese. There wasn't a spot of paint left, all rust and it came back. If any cars are worth a difficult restoration it's those. Good luck with it.

Sean486 06-18-2010 07:30 PM

Is it still hard to get classic Mopar parts or has that improved as the muscle car values have gone up?

subi-crosser 06-20-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 650433)
Is it still hard to get classic Mopar parts or has that improved as the muscle car values have gone up?

It's not hard to find them, but they are rather 'pricey'.

All the stuff that was bought came from Year One.
Stuff we used to throw away years ago now brings over $100. IF you can find it.

subi-crosser 06-20-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 650372)
I am going to SAVE the life of a 69 Charger, starting last saturday. We picked it up and hauled it to the 'New and Improoooved' Farm.
I put the best frame paint I have ever met on the new parts tuesday night, bought the sand blasting medium today and will be attacking this car with a vengance on friday night!

LINKEE!!! http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...roject%202010/
I had 122 'views' on these 6 pics in 48 HOURS!! I have not yet begun the fight to save her. I will be posting more pics on Sunday.

If I can save THIS one, NOTHING is beyond help!

Got to the farm, wanted to snap a few pics and the batteries were dead! I didn't feel like driving 15 miles to get batteries, so there are no new pics to offer.

sicksubie 07-03-2010 10:21 PM

Any updates?

SVXRide 07-03-2010 10:28 PM

a little rust? :p:eek::lol:

who's SVX is that in the one pic?

-Bill

subi-crosser 07-06-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 651661)
a little rust? :p:eek::lol:

who's SVX is that in the one pic?

-Bill

That be MY SVX. I had a session with Dr Mike last week so the Charger has taken a back seat to the recliner. I may be healed up enough to actually DO something soon. (I had 3 tumors removed last monday, the 28th) Things are moving rather slowley at this point. Nothing that was cancerous, but it still hurts anyway!
I did get all the new pieces covered with the frame protectant paint, but I have not actually welded anything in yet.

sowise 07-06-2010 06:20 PM

Yeh, year one was a life saver for Mopar parts. I used them for my 74 Cuda. There is also a place for body parts used to stock alot of older stuff I believe it was called Interstate Auto Supply based out of SLC, Utah. :)

subi-crosser 07-13-2010 09:06 PM

Since the much needed rain has been falling all evening and I was at the farm inspecting the days progress, I had a chance to chat with the young man that has been helping the 'new' guy for a month. He has been mentioning a lot of really great iron that his Dad has and his 'Pap' used to have before he died.
One thing led to another and we got around to talking about his 'Pap'.
I kept hearing stories about 66 GTO's 67 Firebirds, Malibus and 60's Chevy pickups. (At least12 cars).
I mentioned that I knew a guy with such a collection.
I asked what his 'Pap's name was....His 'Pap' was a man I have KNOWN since I was 14!! I didn't know that he had died, but found out tonite that the cars are STILL THERE!!
I have NO desire to scam the young man out of them! I WILL teach him all about PLAZMA cutters, Mig welders and offer a place to PUT those 12 cars while I teach him all the TRIX I know!
He confessed that he is hanging out here to LEARN bodywork so he could DO the cars! He is 19.
Several days ago, I told him that he was the most 'motivated' young man I have met in a long time and that I was 'inspired' by his desire to learn. THEN he dropped the BOMBSHELL tonite!!

I offered the use of both of my trucks and Tony and his truck and trailer to get these cars out of harms way ASAP!!

Bret did lay down a few ground rules. The 'painted on' bird footprints on the 40 Ford has to be preserved and the Firebird with 'Pap's Toy' spray bombed on the deck lid too, MUST be there when the car is done.
They are HIS cars!! We will do what he wants!

The 'RUST gods' have SHINED on us!! We are going to cover our piece of the earth with MORE iron!

subi-crosser 07-19-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 652553)
Since the much needed rain has been falling all evening and I was at the farm inspecting the days progress, I had a chance to chat with the young man that has been helping the 'new' guy for a month. He has been mentioning a lot of really great iron that his Dad has and his 'Pap' used to have before he died.
One thing led to another and we got around to talking about his 'Pap'.
I kept hearing stories about 66 GTO's 67 Firebirds, Malibus and 60's Chevy pickups. (At least12 cars).
I mentioned that I knew a guy with such a collection.
I asked what his 'Pap's name was....His 'Pap' was a man I have KNOWN since I was 14!! I didn't know that he had died, but found out tonite that the cars are STILL THERE!!
I have NO desire to scam the young man out of them! I WILL teach him all about PLAZMA cutters, Mig welders and offer a place to PUT those 12 cars while I teach him all the TRIX I know!
He confessed that he is hanging out here to LEARN bodywork so he could DO the cars! He is 19.
Several days ago, I told him that he was the most 'motivated' young man I have met in a long time and that I was 'inspired' by his desire to learn. THEN he dropped the BOMBSHELL tonite!!

I offered the use of both of my trucks and Tony and his truck and trailer to get these cars out of harms way ASAP!!

Bret did lay down a few ground rules. The 'painted on' bird footprints on the 40 Ford has to be preserved and the Firebird with 'Pap's Toy' spray bombed on the deck lid too, MUST be there when the car is done.
They are HIS cars!! We will do what he wants!

The 'RUST gods' have SHINED on us!! We are going to cover our piece of the earth with MORE iron!

Knowing that the front fenders are trash, I loaded them with tiger hair to get the holes all gone. They were braized in about 20 years ago and bondo was applied by the POUND to fabricate front fenders.
The owner is in the market for 2 good fronts. I just sculpted fax fronts out of glass and bondo to keep the mud off the windshield in the mean time.
The debris field behind the car resembled the 'Crash site' of a small aircraft by time I cut all the rust and welded signs out of it! I invited the owner to stop by and spend a few hours wire brushing the pieces that will be covered the next time I am there, and covering them with shiney black.
Two of us had 12 hours in it saturday, the owner and his son had 2 hours, then the entire crew attacked it for 4 hours after the owner left.
I ran the plaz for OVER 6 hours without killing the power! When I wasn't cutting trash out, I was making stuff. It just made sense to 'not' shut it down.
I am going to TRY to load a few pics onto the bucket tonite. My puter is down and I am using the wife's lap top.If it works, I'll be back. If not, I'll get them loaded sometime in the near future. HOWEVER!! I am better using a plaz and mig than I am a computer!
I called Anthony and asked him to bring my truck by to haul the Miller and the metal break to the shop tomorrow. I have a Hobart there, but want my Miller mig for this project.

subi-crosser 07-19-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 653035)
Knowing that the front fenders are trash, I loaded them with tiger hair to get the holes all gone. They were braized in about 20 years ago and bondo was applied by the POUND to fabricate front fenders.
The owner is in the market for 2 good fronts. I just sculpted fax fronts out of glass and bondo to keep the mud off the windshield in the mean time.
The debris field behind the car resembled the 'Crash site' of a small aircraft by time I cut all the rust and welded signs out of it! I invited the owner to stop by and spend a few hours wire brushing the pieces that will be covered the next time I am there, and covering them with shiney black.
Two of us had 12 hours in it saturday, the owner and his son had 2 hours, then the entire crew attacked it for 4 hours after the owner left.
I ran the plaz for OVER 6 hours without killing the power! When I wasn't cutting trash out, I was making stuff. It just made sense to 'not' shut it down.
I am going to TRY to load a few pics onto the bucket tonite. My puter is down and I am using the wife's lap top.If it works, I'll be back. If not, I'll get them loaded sometime in the near future. HOWEVER!! I am better using a plaz and mig than I am a computer!
I called Anthony and asked him to bring my truck by to haul the Miller and the metal break to the shop tomorrow. I have a Hobart there, but want my Miller mig for this project.

OK, The junk puter would not accept my pics.
There has been over 500 'views' of the 6 pics I have posted!!
I have a LOT of 'new' pics that I will be loading soon.
My second best 'album' is the 46 RatRod with 487 views!