The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   All We'll Drive Hood Struts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52092)

WestCoastSVX 10-24-2009 04:11 PM

All We'll Drive Hood Struts

I've had saggy hood struts for years and gotten by with vice grips. Wasn't worth the $150 or whatever it is to get new factory ones. Not to mention that at this point the freshest ones have probably been sitting on a shelf for 10-15 years. :rolleyes:

Thought I'd give All We'll Drive's replacement hood struts a try. I know there is a Do-it-yourself How-To to build them yourself, but the price of the right parts (if you can find them) comes out to almost as much, plus you have to have the right tools and hope you don't screw something up. :o

I made the right call. When I opened the package and pulled the new struts out, there was no evidence that they had been modified. The work was clean and professional. The install was the same as when I installed a set of used OEM struts years ago. Once on the car, you can not tell the difference - except now they hold up the hood! Not only that, but they actually require a bit of force to push the hood back down! :) Once you push it below about 16 inches, the struts give way and let you solidly close the hood. Above 16 inches, and they want to go UP and hard! Then they actually slow down as they near the top and slowly push the hood back the last 5 inches or so, so as not to jerk it back on its hinges. :cool:

Check this out:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...hoodstruts.jpg

No, this is not an in-motion shot - This is the hood struts holding it in place between where it wants to go up and where it lets it go down.

Thanks guys! Another great product! :)

Green1995SVX 10-24-2009 04:17 PM

Re: All We'll Drive Hood Struts

I have them too. They're awesome!

Mike

Subix 10-24-2009 04:28 PM

Sweetness! I've been putting this **** off forever and now I know where I'll be ordering them from! :)

Right on! :domo:

kwren 10-24-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 622834)
I've had saggy hood struts for years and gotten by with vice grips.

Thought I'd give All We'll Drive's replacement hood struts a try.

I made the right call.

Bout time you did something with that hood problem, Troy!

:lol:

Keith:cool:

(looks like they even adapted my self locking nut to perfect them!!):D

svxash 10-24-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 622834)
I know there is a Do-it-yourself How-To to build them yourself, but the price of the right parts (if you can find them) comes out to almost as much, plus you have to have the right tools and hope you don't screw something up. :o

Is the DIY the strong arm hood strut one? Not sure if the parts listed in that write up are the most current ones to use?

yt 10-24-2009 10:33 PM

glad you like them Troy, I am gonna have to put two sets on my pearlies soon

Tom

SVXyGirl 10-25-2009 08:44 AM

OoOoOoh I know what I'll be getting my svxs for Christmas this year. ;)

shady1147 10-25-2009 01:27 PM

great ive been looking for some for a while. just bought them

immortal_suby 10-25-2009 07:42 PM

Only $60? Hell yeah. Ordered. I can finally retire that 2x4.

Now all we need is a trunk strut package.

WestCoastSVX 10-25-2009 09:49 PM

I guess I should have negotiated some kind of commission deal first? :D

kwren 10-26-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 622984)
Only $60? Hell yeah. Ordered. I can finally retire that 2x4.

Now all we need is a trunk strut package.

Trunk strut package isn't going to happen.

There are no struts available that qualify size wise to mod the old original ones for the trunk.

I got new ones for my silver a month ago from a dealer for less that buying the hood ones from YT costs. The new trunk ones work like a dream!

Hey, why wouldn't they? they are new!

WestCoastSVX 10-26-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 623056)
Trunk strut package isn't going to happen.

There are no struts available that qualify size wise to mod the old original ones for the trunk.

I got new ones for my silver a month ago from a dealer for less that buying the hood ones from YT costs. The new trunk ones work like a dream!

Hey, why wouldn't they? they are new!

Keith, if you would be so kind as to PM me that dealer info I'd be interested in picking up a pair. My local dealer and all the online parts services come in at much more than $60!

Sean486 10-26-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 623066)
Keith, if you would be so kind as to PM me that dealer info I'd be interested in picking up a pair. My local dealer and all the online parts services come in at much more than $60!

They were more than $60 each when I was pricing the Subaru OEM ones. I was going to do the mod myself, but when I found out that AWD was selling ones already done, it was a no brainer. I cancelled my original NAPA order and got a set of the AWD ones. I am very happy with them.

WestCoastSVX 10-26-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 623073)
They were more than $60 each when I was pricing the Subaru OEM ones. I was going to do the mod myself, but when I found out that AWD was selling ones already done, it was a no brainer. I cancelled my original NAPA order and got a set of the AWD ones. I am very happy with them.

Oh yeah, the dealer hood struts are definitely more than $60 each. The AWD ones for the win, as why I started this thread. :) I have no doubt the AWD ones perform better than the factory ones too.

I was referring to the TRUNK struts which Keith said he was able to get a pair of for under $60. Any listing I can find would put the total closer to $90 for a pair, so Keith got a real good deal from his local dealer. And as he mentioned, so far no one has been able to find a new solution for those other than dealer. :(

ScottyB 10-26-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 623066)

Could you put that up for everyone to see. I need some of those too...