The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transmission Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47091)

Rippon 11-30-2008 12:12 AM

Transmission Question

Well I just read through 20 some odd pages of transmission problems and havent really gotten anywhere so Im hoping you guys can help me out on this one. I recently purchased a 92 LSL with 145k miles on it. The transmission is doing some weird things. It started out by revving a bit before it went into 3rd and 4th gear, but typically dropped right into gear. More recently it has gotten worse it still revs a bit before dropping in RPM's, but when it does it feels like the car has absolutely no power yet its still accelerating at a decent pace. Occasionally once it catches the tires chirp..It has done it a few times in 1-2 gears, but not everytime like it is with 3rd and 4th. Sometimes if im only at light throttle it just goes straight into gear, but other times it does the same thing regardless. At full throttle theres no problems either. It will also downshift when im in cruise and rev like up then seem like it has no power yet still accelerate..

I originally thought it may be either the torque converter or throttle postion sensor and still think it could be one of those after reading through all the info, but im also starting to think that my tranny might be screwed up. It has been getting worse everyday so I really need to get it figured out. Any help is greatly appreciated and hope no one is offended by the 6000th transmission question thread:)

1986nate 11-30-2008 12:20 AM

Re: Transmission Question

You are probably losing the high gear clutch pack that controls 3rd and 4th gear. The revving in the 2-3 gear shift was probably started because of the brake band out of adjustment but it is probably by far too late now.

Mine did the exact same thing as you are describing until coming back from Green Bay on Turkey Day. I was about 10 miles from home and had the cruise set, it went to accelerate and it just revved til it hit about 5500 RPM and it jolted into gear and I knew it was gone. I ended up driving the last 10 miles at 45 mph sitting at about 4000 rpm....Not fun. So needless to say I have a city car now til I can afford to do something about it.

Oh and I did adjust the brake band properly shortly after I bought it in October and the 2-3 change was corrected but still wasn't enough to save it.

Crazy_pilot 11-30-2008 12:21 AM

Not good news. You may be able to prolong your transmission's life somewhat by adjusting the brake band. Click here for instructions on that. If it's getting really bad though that may be more of a temporary band-aid fix for the problem, and transmission replacement may be in order.

kwren 11-30-2008 02:07 PM

Bummer!
Seems like there are a lot of SVX's sold when the transmission starts going out to people that are unaware of the pending financial disaster.:(

Probably best to get it replaced with a dealer item. 2 year-24,000 mile guarantee from Subaru.

In most cases the repair shops are out of their league with the SVX automatic transmission.

Another option is the 5 speed swap.

Good luck

Keith

Rippon 12-01-2008 02:55 PM

well its at the transmission shop now so well see...if the tranny is gone then theres a good chance ill go with 5mt instead of another auto, but thatll all depend on what they find.

Rippon 12-03-2008 02:29 PM

Yup, trannys gone...I just dont understand how people can sell something to you when they know its going to be a huge financial burden soon after. He must have put a band aid fix on it because it drove fine for a week then slowly deteriorated over the next week and a half. Now im stuck with a car I just bought for $3000 that has a bad tranny:( Merry Christmas to me lol

Freeman 12-03-2008 02:57 PM

It really p*sses me off when people do that as well. I really don't have the money to be doing most of the things I'm doing to my car but some of it is really nessessary and I can't afford to keep it up so I'm looking for a new job. I've decided I won't do any work to it unless I need to.. Gee I wish my transmission would go so I could have an excuese for a 4.44 swap, power mode mod, quick change, and the other tranny mod... And yeah, it's a nessessity..

1986nate 12-03-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rippon (Post 574724)
Yup, trannys gone...I just dont understand how people can sell something to you when they know its going to be a huge financial burden soon after. He must have put a band aid fix on it because it drove fine for a week then slowly deteriorated over the next week and a half. Now im stuck with a car I just bought for $3000 that has a bad tranny:( Merry Christmas to me lol

Hey man I'm in the same boat too, only mine lasted a whole 2 months, oh and shortly after I bought mine it developed a knock probably due to a spun bearing. But hey it still runs and I still have 1st and 2nd so I'll drive it til I figure out if I want to throw in a 5 speed or throw another auto in it. Til then, its a city car.

Blacky 12-03-2008 02:59 PM

I'd see if you can get some money back to help with the 5 speed conversion. I'm sure you weren't planning on doing it this soon.
When I bought mine and found out there was way more wrong with it than the seller knew about, he gave me back almost half of the purchase price.

Rippon 12-03-2008 03:58 PM

Yeah, im going to contact him and see what he says. I did plan on doing the 5 speed conversion, but not this soon. I feel for ya nate, I would just leave it to be a city car, but I have to take the highway to get to work. Ive got another car to drive in the mean time so im just going to sit on it for a little while and see what I decide to do.