The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   1994 Honda Civic (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34089)

dwd1985 07-07-2006 07:18 PM

1994 Honda Civic

A friend of mine has a 94 Honda Civic EX coupe., with a 4 cylinder engine. I have been enlisted to help fix it. It has always ran well (its a Honda Civic, they always last forever) but as of last night, all of a sudden, the weirdest thing wil happen. When you try and start it, it will start for about half a second and then turn itself off. Normally, when an engine wont turn over, it either just relay clicks, and wont being to crank, or it will crank without catching. However, this engine catches and starts, but will not continue to run. It doenst stall out either, it just turns off. What could this be? I pulled the spark plug wires, and it looks like the spark plug need replacing, and I disconnected the battery, but now it starts allright. If this should happen again, where should I look? Everything else looks ok, nothing is cracked, disconnected or broken. Also, does the civic ECU "learn" like our SVX ones do? Because now its idling pretty high, and I told her it would re-learn what sped to idle at.

NapaBavarian 07-07-2006 07:30 PM

The solution will take several large guys, but should go fairly easy. You will need to start by opening the drivers door.

Once the door is open remove drivers hands from the stering wheel, some times previous installer over torques the attachments, so be prepared to to use a breaker bar if the driver is really attached.

Next, with one guy in the back seat and one in the passanger seat remove driver from car, carefully transport to waiting impreza and reinstall. Be sure to use loctite and you may need to temporarily tape the hands in place due to upgrade resistance.

Have a nice day :p

Zeppelin 07-07-2006 08:22 PM

How many miles are on it?

I'd start with the cheap solutions and go from there. Plugs and wires are a good start, then I'd replace the fuel filter and gas cap. If the car only runs for a second or so after startup, it's probably either fuel or spark.

dwd1985 07-07-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
The solution will take several large guys, but should go fairly easy. You will need to start by opening the drivers door.

Once the door is open remove drivers hands from the stering wheel, some times previous installer over torques the attachments, so be prepared to to use a breaker bar if the driver is really attached.

Next, with one guy in the back seat and one in the passanger seat remove driver from car, carefully transport to waiting impreza and reinstall. Be sure to use loctite and you may need to temporarily tape the hands in place due to upgrade resistance.

Have a nice day :p

LMFAO!!!!
She actually wants to replace it with a Dodge Durango, and is saving up for that very trade as we speak.

It's Just Eric 07-07-2006 11:07 PM

Good.TheCivicIsGarbage.IDontKnowHowThe****TheyGot
SuchAReputationForBeing"Reliable"
EveryOneISeeisEitherBrokenOrHas"Cool"Stuff3MDouble SidedTapedToIt
MySisterSpentLike5kInMatinenceForThe6YearsSheHadIt ....AndDamnedIfIKnowHowToFixIt.
IMeanComeOn...TheyDidntEvenPutTheMotorInTheRightDi rection...

Speedklix 07-08-2006 02:27 AM

may sound crazy... but, check the coolant. ;)

thundering02 07-08-2006 08:38 PM

Never answered the milage question either....Hondas are notorious for a timing belt every 100k miles.....but otherwise was beautifully reliable while I had it.

Electrophil 07-09-2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Good.TheCivicIsGarbage.IDontKnowHowThe****TheyGot
SuchAReputationForBeing"Reliable"
EveryOneISeeisEitherBrokenOrHas"Cool"Stuff3MDouble SidedTapedToIt
MySisterSpentLike5kInMatinenceForThe6YearsSheHadIt ....AndDamnedIfIKnowHowToFixIt.
IMeanComeOn...TheyDidntEvenPutTheMotorInTheRightDi rection...

Sounds like very weak fuel pressure. Either fuel filter, fuel pump, or the regulator is controled by It's just Eric's keyboard.

Royal Tiger 07-09-2006 06:14 PM

Come on Eric, you can get a used keyboard for $5 if you have a used PC store near you.

Pure_Insanity8 07-10-2006 03:16 PM

The problem with it shutting off sounds like the ignition switch to me... my friend's '95 Civic had this problem about a month ago. You'll need to try and pull one from a junked Civic since any shop will want to replace the tumblers and make you have new keys made up. This will cost $300-$400 instead of the a few bucks for the switch module at a junkyard.

How high does it idle... and does it stay high for more than a couple minutes?