The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question with poll for members who have the PWR aluminum radiator w/ a 4EAT trans... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27677)

Chiketkd 08-02-2005 06:22 PM

Question with poll for members who have the PWR aluminum radiator w/ a 4EAT trans...

Thinking about investing in a PWR radiatoir within the next 9-12 months. As the radiator is thicker than the factory unit and has a 5 pass trans cooler, I wanted to see how many members who actually HAVE this radiator installed on a 4EAT SVX actually add a trans cooler?

As I'd like to set my car up for track days at Summit Point & VIR, I'm thinking of using the 4 pass Champ trans cooler I currently have as a power steering fluid cooler... ;)

-Chike

benebob 08-02-2005 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Thinking about investing in a PWR radiatoir within the next 9-12 months. As the radiator is thicker than the factory unit and has a 5 pass trans cooler, I wanted to see how many members who actually HAVE this radiator installed on a 4EAT SVX actually add a trans cooler?

As I'd like to set my car up for track days at Summit Point & VIR, I'm thinking of using the 4 pass Champ trans cooler I currently have as a power steering fluid cooler... ;)

-Chike

Aren't you gonna need a cage for that Chike??? Be a shame to rip apart a decent interior to do that to.

Chiketkd 08-02-2005 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Aren't you gonna need a cage for that Chike??? Be a shame to rip apart a decent interior to do that to.

Nope I should clarify myself - these will be track days with the M-B club from Northern VA. Street trim with a helmet is all that's req'd to compete.

-Chike

benebob 08-02-2005 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Nope I should clarify myself - these will be track days with the M-B club from Northern VA. Street trim with a helmet is all that's req'd to compete.

-Chike

Gottcha, it isn't a competition event. Just a Drivers PDE style event.

Chiketkd 08-02-2005 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Gottcha, it isn't a competition event. Just a Drivers PDE style event.

Correct. And even though the factory plastic rad from my '96 is in good shape, I'd hate to run my first event and have it fail... :rolleyes:

-Chike

SVXRide 08-02-2005 07:46 PM

Chike,
What has you thinking you need a cooler for the power steering?
-Bill

immortal_suby 08-02-2005 07:50 PM

I don't understand the question. :p

I have the PWR and don't use the internal cooler at all. I just use 2 inline aftermarket trans coolers.

We already have a power steering cooler line in there from the factory. It aint much, just a single loop.

Chiketkd 08-02-2005 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
-Bill

Ever felt the power steering atf after spirited driving? The stuff gets pretty hot! :eek: I know Harry (newsvx) runs his stock '97 at the track with no issues, but I'd like to have some insurance especially if I'm racing on a 90*+ day.
Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I don't understand the question. :p

I have the PWR and don't use the internal cooler at all. I just use 2 inline aftermarket trans coolers.

We already have a power steering cooler line in there from the factory. It aint much, just a single loop.

Yeah, that single loop is a joke! :p

Hmmm...can't believe you have a PWR aluminum rad and bypass the internal cooler completely! :D

-Chike

ensteele 08-02-2005 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
-Bill

:confused: :confused: :confused: Where did the idea of power steering fluid come from all at once. I have been reading transmission fluid and then this question poped up. Am I confused, or is it someone else? Don't get me wrong, I just did a double take is all. :rolleyes: :)

LarryIII 08-03-2005 04:45 AM

The PWR radiator along with the new cap are still sitting in my basement in the PWR box.

lhopp77 08-03-2005 10:08 AM

Sitting

Both of my PWR radiators are just sitting in the shop. Still have not decided if I am going to install them.

Lee

TomsSVX 08-03-2005 01:26 PM

I just did an install with a PWR rad. It seems even after cutting down the bushings it still seems to hit, I mean I could have cut them more but did not want them to lose their purpose. Anyway Chike, I highly recommend the PWR rad but I would also suggest an aftermarket cooler, maybe one with a fan in the wheel well as they no longer fit between the condensor and the rad with the thicker rad. So.... there it is.

Tom

AFBeefcake 08-03-2005 01:56 PM

I installed the PWR in my car and remove my B&M cooler. Just using the PWR cooler works as good or better then the stock rad and a 16,000 GVW B&M cooler.

I got a temp gauge so I've seen before and after temps.

benebob 08-03-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFBeefcake
I installed the PWR in my car and remove my B&M cooler. Just using the PWR cooler works as good or better then the stock rad and a 16,000 GVW B&M cooler.

I got a temp gauge so I've seen before and after temps.

That was gonna be my next suggestion. Drill a hole into that tranny pan and put a true temp gauge in there of the fluid there. Then see how ya do and then how it does after you put the new rad in. :D

AFBeefcake 08-03-2005 04:57 PM

My temp senser is mounted in my perma cool filter kit. before the cooler.