The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show of support (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10193)

SHISVX 04-21-2003 12:56 PM

Show of support

okay guys, i know some of you may not be interested in doing this...it takes a total of 3 seconds, put your name and where you live and you wave a flag. they are trying to get 1 million flags, i think they will get more...if you don't want to wave a flag, don't, i am not trying to start a flame war about this

http://www.zoom-n.com/wavers/

is the link

Kelli

Seraph 04-21-2003 01:34 PM

They are still there?

oh... do you know that the guy that put the US flag on top of the saddam statue was born and raised till he was about 10 in Burma? And I am totally against that action btw. That is just plain wrong to do that. The job is to go in and take out saddams's troops and power, not to destroy statues and such. But that's another story and i am not trying to start a flame war.

SHISVX 04-21-2003 01:52 PM

i didn't know about that, and i too disagree with that type of behavior.

the troops do what they are told...this is for them, they are putting their lives on the line for something they probably don't know about, but they are doing it for us too and for that, i think they deserve respect

no flame intended

Kelli

Aredubjay 04-21-2003 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
i didn't know about that, and i too disagree with that type of behavior.

the troops do what they are told...this is for them, they are putting their lives on the line for something they probably don't know about, but they are doing it for us too and for that, i think they deserve respect

no flame intended

Kelli

I, like many people, gasped as Mr. Chin placed the flag over Saddam's statue's face. A very short time later, the flag was taken down and replaced with an Iraqi flag. Mr. Chin later explained that he'd been ordered to hoist the flag and then, had been ordered to take it down, then, had been offered the Iraqi flag by one of the people who'd ASKED them to help tear down the statue (they were having no luck with a sledge hammer and trying to pull it down bare-handed with ropes). I sat and watched the whole thing in awe and was extremely surprised to watch the contingent walk to the tank service vehicle (a tow truck for tanks) and ask for their help. Helps to know the whole story. It was a cooperative effort.

benebob 04-21-2003 02:19 PM

Show of support

I found it interesting that once they got the head of the statue the media showed a huge mass of people dragging the head down the street. Actually there were 7 Iraqis and 25 or so reporters. The whole flag thing probably hurt US relations with much of the Arab world since it was ran on virtually every front page in the world. The whole idea can easily be interpreted as an act of imperialistic behavior. I'm sure that wasn't the intent just as I'm sure that the intent isn't in the pictures of Marines in Iraqi Palace's smoking cigars.

Seraph 04-21-2003 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I, like many people, gasped as Mr. Chin placed the flag over Saddam's statue's face. A very short time later, the flag was taken down and replaced with an Iraqi flag. Mr. Chin later explained that he'd been ordered to hoist the flag and then, had been ordered to take it down, then, had been offered the Iraqi flag by one of the people who'd ASKED them to help tear down the statue (they were having no luck with a sledge hammer and trying to pull it down bare-handed with ropes). I sat and watched the whole thing in awe and was extremely surprised to watch the contingent walk to the tank service vehicle (a tow truck for tanks) and ask for their help. Helps to know the whole story. It was a cooperative effort.

MY thing is that if the iraqi people want to tear the damn thing down. They have the right to do it. But the US should have just sit and watch since it is NOT the purpose of the trip. It just looks wrong. my first impression is that US troops geather a few iraqi people and asked/told them to help bring the statue down. To me, the picture on the staute is not the issue.

Also, on the NPR there was a report that US used C4s to blow up the painted face of Suddam from a wall. Why blow up a face and waste the C4 when iraqi people can just paint over the damn thing. Perhaps I am wrong.

Lwin

Aredubjay 04-21-2003 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph

It just looks wrong.

"Looks" can always be deceiving and open to interpretation. Go to the "Humiliation" thread. Nomad, squatting down, leaned against a light pole "looks" bad, though he is being completely innocent in a hungover sort of way.

Let's not split hairs. What's done is done. Let's put it behind us and hope for the best for the Iraqi people.